Retro Riding Robots...From Japan!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Retro Riding Robots...From Japan!

A Japanese 3D designer has created a range of model kits based on a 1957 that never happened.

Alternate histories have always been cool, or will be cool, or might have been cool, had things taken a slightly different path, and with Fallout 3 currently rocking the Atompunk look, the concept of alternate histories is enjoying a resurgence, or will be, or... oh, nevermind.

The kits, created by Kazushi Kobayashi, a 3D artist for Japanese television, are from an alternate 1957 where robots have become the primary mode of transport. Looking like the lovechild of Half-Life 2's Dog and a moped, the robots seem to fill a variety of roles in this fictional 50s setting, from simple transportation to construction.

The exact details are a little hard to decipher, due to my inability to read either Japanese, or the internet translations thereof, but from what I can figure out, the kits are available in either 1:12 scale or 1:20 scale and cost around 28,000 Yen, or around £200/$300.

The kits don't appear to be available outside Japan, but damn it, they're really cool.

Source: Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/17/robot-model-kit-chub.html]

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
um...yeah, I think I'll just let someone else point it out.

Still, pretty good model, looks like 50s style fridges.
However, it makes me a bit mad at 50s science; WHERE WAS THE FUTURE YOU PROMISED US 1950s? YOU LIED!

:(

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Something I've notice about Japanese mech designs, the pilot often seems to be located in the crotch. That one isn't as bad as Z.O.E's massive-erection-when-switching-flight-modes designs, but still...

...eh, maybe I'm just projecting.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Something I've notice about Japanese mech designs, the pilot often seems to be located in the crotch. That one isn't as bad as Z.O.E's massive-erection-when-switching-flight-modes designs, but still...

well ok it's definetely crotch-regioned here but most of them are just located in the chest (Gundams, Wanzers from Front Mission, Veritechs, etc.)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Yeah... I really wouldn't want to drive around on a robot's dong
You realize...just about every Orbital Frame in Zone of the Enders games have seats there. And please...do I have to make the obvious pun about the place where the pilot sits?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
fix-the-spade said:

Well, I mean on a smaller robot like that, I'd think it'd just make for a better center of balance, no? Don't want to be too top-heavy.

Most of the mecha I can think of have chest-located cockpits, too.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Urge to pull out bucket and sponge... Rising.
Really, that thing looks dirty. Cool 'n all, but I have an urge to clean it.