Vatican To Get Its Own YouTube Channel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Vatican To Get Its Own YouTube Channel

The Vatican, seat of power for the Roman Catholic Church, is embracing the digital age for some 21st Century evangelism.

The Vatican is in talks with Google regarding the creation of its own YouTube channel which will show Papal addresses and Church events. The announcement, made by a Vatican spokesman, marks probably the biggest move in terms of media by the Vatican since the creation of its website way back in 1995.

It's not hard to imagine that while not popular per se, the channel will generate high numbers of views, as the faithful and curious alike tune in. The channel will also expose the Vatican to the crucible of YouTube comments, renowned as being a haven of the idiotic and spiteful. [http://xkcd.com/202/ ]

Amongst the inevitable bile however, will be genuine feedback with a level of immediacy that the Vatican is unaccustomed to. Whether this will affect the direction of the Catholic Church is unknown, although unlikely, but they might be in for some rude surprises, when addresses, such as Benedict XVI's recent comments on gender roles [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7796663.stm ], which angered many GLBT groups, quickly garner a negative response.

An official statement about the channel will be issued at a press conference on Friday, attended by Vatican officials and executives from Google.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE50G1JN20090117?feedType=RSS&feedName=internetNews]

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
That picture makes me think of Hitler.
I went to a Catholic school and that happened a lot. It really creeped out the German students who visited.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If it shows Paypal addresses, it'd be far more pope-ular. :)
**Stompy rolls up newspaper** **Stompy glares**

Now, as for the Youtube channel, it will be interesting how the Church reacts to the comments... maybe they should do a broadcast of that?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Badum tish!

It will recieve a lot of flame from the Youtube trolls, no doubt.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
That picture makes me think of Hitler.
Just thinking that...

Anyways, I think this will be a good idea, but there is the fact that they may close comments on the videos, thus negating the feedback that you mentioned.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Chapper said:
Badum tish!

Like somebody gives a crap about those comments and videos.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Vlane said:
Chapper said:
Badum tish!

Surely the contributers would. Or does that not make sense?

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
Man, if people write hateful comments on home videos of toddlers singing, what are they going to do to the Vatican? I definitely think that they'll be in for a rude surprise like you said.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Chapper said:
Vlane said:
Chapper said:
Badum tish!

Surely the contributers would. Or does that not make sense?
Nobody should because it's YouTube. Even if you are the most talented person ever you will get flamed on YouTube.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Not that any of the Cardinals or Bishops or anyone who influences Church policy will ever read any of the comments. I mean, this is the Catholic Church, for pete's sake. Not the Quakers. Group participation in policy making is not encouraged.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Anyone halfway sensible would just turn off comments on their videos anyway. Presumably everyone here has read a YouTube comment once or twice and then decided they're essentially useless?

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
[badjoke] Well, now we have a good idea of what he was thought as a boy. [/badjoke] Ha Ha Ha. I'm so sorry. I won't make Hitlerjugend jokes anymore. So... When do preachers start saying "Heil the Lord! Heil God!"?

And is this just another pathetic attempt to boost church popularity?

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
nilcypher said:
Kukakkau said:
well it looks like the vatican is going to lose hope in humanity soon
Even if that is the case, they'll never say so. Kinda puts them out of a job.
true. but they cant honestly think its a good idea. i mean people will rick roll their videos and make other stupid clones