Nintendo May Consider Merger/Acquisition Deals to Improve Its Fortunes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nintendo May Consider Merger/Acquisition Deals to Improve Its Fortunes

According to president Satoru Iwata, Nintendo may consider merging with or purchasing other companies to boost its profits going forward.

Whatever criticisms people might level at Nintendo, on some level you have to respect the individual way that it approaches things. With Sony and Microsoft, you can generally see the two competing and responding to each other. In the case of Nintendo however, it often feels like the company just does its own thing. Unfortunately, as its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111963-Nintendo-CEO-Takes-50-Pay-Cut>recent tribulations have demonstrated, that doesn't always lead to success.

That in mind, company president Satoru Iwata has revealed that Nintendo may consider casting aside some of its independent nature to improve its profits with acquisitions and mergers in the future. "If there is something that others are doing that we feel would leverage Nintendo's strength, we will incorporate that into our business," said Iwata during an investor presentation. "I will not deny the possibility of an M&A deal to implement this business."

That being the case, Iwata made a point of affirming that going such a route "is not Nintendo's usual way" and that it would, in turn, "depend on the situation." He also made a point of stressing that the company is "[considering] many options" to improve its fortunes and that it doesn't have "specific plans" just yet. Nonetheless, the prospect of Nintendo buying or merging with other companies is one that could, in the least, provide some interesting possibilities for the future. If nothing else, it would be a sure sign that things are changing for the house that Mario built.

Source: <a href=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/03.html>Nintendo

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Interesting - I wonder who they'll try to acquire? The possibilities of them buying up someone like Capcom are quite intriguing to think about, even if it's not likely. I'll admit I'm not in a position to know who could buy whom but I'd like to see Nintendo acquire someone that's been in the industry for a while that already has a fairly solid partnership with them. But who knows how things will go.

For now, it's just pretty fascinating news that Nintendo is willing to branch out.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
How about they 'consider' the option of releasing the XBLA version of Goldeneye on both Nintendo and Microsoft systems, and then lie back and roll in the cash?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Acquiring a company with the expertise to build their online networks would be a good start.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Imagine a world where bobby kotick merges activision-blizzard with nintendo and gains control over the house of mario

You think nintendo rehashes now?

*shivers*

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Interesting - I wonder who they'll try to acquire? The possibilities of them buying up someone like Capcom are quite intriguing to think about, even if it's not likely. I'll admit I'm not in a position to know who could buy whom but I'd like to see Nintendo acquire someone that's been in the industry for a while that already has a fairly solid partnership with them. But who knows how things will go.

For now, it's just pretty fascinating news that Nintendo is willing to branch out.
No reason for Capcom to sell really. They seem to be doing pretty good being a multiplatform publisher.

How are they going to survive just by publishing for the Wii U?

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
Squilookle said:
How about they 'consider' the option of releasing the XBLA version of Goldeneye on both Nintendo and Microsoft systems, and then lie back and roll in the cash?
You mean the actually-by-todays-standard-kinda-below-average FPS from the N64 that got remade for the Wii with Daniel Craig? That Golden Eye?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:

Capcom wouldn't sell. They make enough money to not need to sell. It's wishful thinking to think that a company that's been financially successful for the past few years would let itself be bought by a company having troubles.

It'd be like Sega Sammy selling Sega, there's no point.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
RandV80 said:
Acquiring a company with the expertise to build their online networks would be a good start.
This. As the Pokemon Bank debacle continues, it's clear Nintendo needs to step up it's online capacities, buying something to manage them would be a worthwhile investment. Oh and maybe a company to make some more games for the WiiU too :p

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
They should merge with Activision; it sounds crazy but hear me out. Nintendo take so long to put out their games we joke about passing them on to our children, Activision vomits them out so hard and fast it kills franchises.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle these two could find enlightenment, and we could get what we want too.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Salad Is Murder said:
They should merge with Activision; it sounds crazy but hear me out. Nintendo take so long to put out their games we joke about passing them on to our children, Activision vomits them out so hard and fast it kills franchises.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle these two could find enlightenment, and we could get what we want too.
And Nintendo could take Activisions old dead (good) franchises and revive them.
Crash Team Racing meats Mario Kart
A Crash Bandicoot platformer.
A Zelda inspired Spyro game.

But then again, we could see Activision release Mario and Zelda on a yearly basis, they could make Metroid just another CoD and Pikmin could be come the next Starcraft split in 3 games or even worse, mandatory online with a cash shop.

Yeah, no. Thanks on the offer, but this could be one of the worst things in video game history.

EDIT:
Wasn't this news already posted like a week ago?

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
JoJo said:
RandV80 said:
This. As the Pokemon Bank debacle continues, it's clear Nintendo needs to step up it's online capacities, buying something to manage them would be a worthwhile investment. Oh and maybe a company to make some more games for the WiiU too :p
Pokemon bank is out in Australia UK and PAL territories now, but I completely agree close to 2 months off the planned date is ridiculous.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
lachlan4567 said:
JoJo said:
RandV80 said:
Pokemon bank is out in Australia UK and PAL territories now, but I completely agree close to 2 months off the planned date is ridiculous.
Wat...

*Checks Bulbapedia*

OMGOMGOMG! YES, FINALLY! Gah, and it just had to come out when I'm about to leave for a job centre meeting, still I'll have fun with it this afternoon. Downloading now in-case they pull it again ;-)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
gizmo2300 said:
Squilookle said:
You mean the actually-by-todays-standard-kinda-below-average FPS from the N64 that got remade for the Wii with Daniel Craig? That Golden Eye?
Nope- I'm talking about the still-better-then-most-of-the-crap-pedalled-today FPS from the N64 that got remade for XBLA to 90% completion at Rare, and then canned because Activision, Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't sort their financial three-way out.

That Goldeneye.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
deadish said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

No reason for Capcom to sell really. They seem to be doing pretty good being a multiplatform publisher.

You do know that Capcom's financials have been pretty dire recently, right?

I mean, seriously, they have less than $200 million in the bank right now.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Am I losing my mind or hasn't this already been reported?

Kmadden2004 said:
deadish said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

Capcom would be pretty damn close to going under without Monster Hunter.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
deadish said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

3 words. Street Fighter. Exclusive. And with Nintendo's not-admirable-but-more-consumer-friendly-than-Capcom-practices? That is a powerful firecracker right there

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:

Teaming with Nintendo and restricting their market to the Wii U will help how?

gizmo2300 said:
3 words. Street Fighter. Exclusive. And with Nintendo's not-admirable-but-more-consumer-friendly-than-Capcom-practices? That is a powerful firecracker right there
Sure it would be great for Nintendo ... but what is in it for Capcom? That's what I'm asking.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Dendio said:
Imagine a world where bobby kotick merges activision-blizzard with nintendo and gains control over the house of mario

You think nintendo rehashes now?

*shivers*
As much crap as Nintendo and Activision get for rehashes they've yet to produce a game like final fantasy all of the Bravest or Medal of Honor War flightier. COD was made to Kill medal of honor and it did.