X-Men Mansion LEGO Set Campaigning For Official Distribution

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
X-Men Mansion LEGO Set Campaigning For Official Distribution

DarthKY's LEGO X-Mansion will feature the Danger Room, Cerebro and a host of famous X-Men characters.

Back when I was a kid, the X-Men animated series was a weekly ritual. I watched the show religiously and, while I haven't always followed the comics as thoroughly over the years, it fostered an eternal love for Xavier and band his mutants. That in mind, you might be able to understand why the LEGO X-Mansion currently working its way through a CUUSOO campaign excites me so much.

The <a href=http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/53799>campaign in question, launched by the user DarthKy, has garnered more than 2,300 supporters since it began about a week ago. As per CUUSOO's standards, if it can pull together 10,000 total it be will put up for review by LEGO, potentially earning it a chance to become an official set distributed by the company. The X-Mansion itself will include a variety of famous locations such as Cerebro, the Danger Room, the Medical Bay, Xavier's Headmaster Office and more.

[gallery=2083]

The current design will also come with several proposed X-Men mini-figures including Xavier, Beast, Shadowcat, Gambit, Mystique, and Storm or Cyclops. The campaign has also created <a href=http://blog.brick-hero.com/p/x.html>a secondary page where supporters can vote on other X-Men they'd like to see included in the set. For my part, I would just be ecstatic for this set to make its way to stores. Back in my aforementioned younger years, one of my prized possessions was a LEGO castle set I received for Christmas. Suffice it to say that if this had existed back then I would have begged Santa for something else that year.

Source: <a href=http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/53799>LEGO CUUSO

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd absolutely buy it. In a heartbeat, no questions asked except "Can we get a Blackbird hangar and a Blackbird set as well?" Rawr... Asteroid M maybe too?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
amaranth_dru said:
I'd absolutely buy it. In a heartbeat, no questions asked except "Can we get a Blackbird hangar and a Blackbird set as well?" Rawr... Asteroid M maybe too?
I'd also like a Hellfire Club (Circle Club for show fans) and Genosha playset. Oh! And Shi'ar warship!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
StewShearer said:
amaranth_dru said:
I'd also like a Hellfire Club (Circle Club for show fans) and Genosha playset. Oh! And Shi'ar warship!
Oooooh, you gave me another idea... How about a Brood set, an X-Force set (with Cable's lair from the original team days) and Apocalypse's borrowed Celestial Ship? I could think of a ton of X-themed sets.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
This would be all kinds of awesome, and fit in nicely with their Marvel superheroes line. Archangel please. Archangel. And I'm still waiting for a SHIELD helicarrier. Know it's not strictly the mutant arena but a helicarrier would be stupendous.

Cross fingers everybody, cross fingers.

Apr 17, 2009
Guys, guys, you're missing the big picture here. You know how Lego has that collectible minifig range? Now imagine if one series of those were all just X-Men (and associated villains). There's certainly enough of them.
The only problem I can see might be licensing, since their current deal is with Disney/Marvel I think, who don't have the X-Men rights. Then again, didn't stop a whole load of them appearing in the game

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
What is this lego resurgence where lego is so cool and hipster now?

What is actually going on? I love getting into this whole: 'Oh yeh, I love Lego' thing. But is there actually a large number of people who are actually doing anything with Lego or is just the idea and nostalgia of it enough?

They look great, but I can't say I'd fork out any money for this!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ubiquitous Duck said:

What is actually going on? I love getting into this whole: 'Oh yeh, I love Lego' thing. But is there actually a large number of people who are actually doing anything with Lego or is just the idea and nostalgia of it enough?

It's all because of the licensing that started with the Star Wars set a decade ago. And that was Lego's plan when they felt sales were slowing. They just can't stop making license sets now, so everyone wants a set from a different franchise.(They still haven't replied to my emails about a Silent Hill set. I even sent them homemade Pyramid Head minifigs to get an idea of what it's all about.)

The real Lego fans are the one that enjoyed playing with their generic space/ocean/town playsets. The hipster are the ones that talk about only having a couple minifigs a few special parts like wheels and doors, and a ton of the primary colored blocks, when they probably couldn't compete with a little kid in creating a decent town with those pieces. True blue Lego nerds buy 1-4 colors of bricks in bulk and make 1:2 or 1:1 sculptures.

I for one am glad I was a kid right before they started making licensed sets. Being able to have Gimli, Wolverine and Darth Vader go a a quest through Hogwarts might have been fun if I had them when I was eleven. But the cost of generic Lego's is already rivaling old school Warhammer 40K in price. I had to save up for a couple medium sets at a time and the big ones were gift material. I went into Toys R Us recently and nearly went into sticker shock cardiac arrest looking at the Lord or the Rings sets on display. Now the prices are like Games Workshop's after the execs looked up "monopoly" in the dictionary and heard ka-ching.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Hairless Mammoth said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:

It's all because of the licensing that started with the Star Wars set a decade ago. And that was Lego's plan when they felt sales were slowing. They just can't stop making license sets now, so everyone wants a set from a different franchise.(They still haven't replied to my emails about a Silent Hill set. I even sent them homemade Pyramid Head minifigs to get an idea of what it's all about.)

The real Lego fans are the one that enjoyed playing with their generic space/ocean/town playsets. The hipster are the ones that talk about only having a couple minifigs a few special parts like wheels and doors, and a ton of the primary colored blocks, when they probably couldn't compete with a little kid in creating a decent town with those pieces. True blue Lego nerds buy 1-4 colors of bricks in bulk and make 1:2 or 1:1 sculptures.

I for one am glad I was a kid right before they started making licensed sets. Being able to have Gimli, Wolverine and Darth Vader go a a quest through Hogwarts might have been fun if I had them when I was eleven. But the cost of generic Lego's is already rivaling old school Warhammer 40K in price. I had to save up for a couple medium sets at a time and the big ones were gift material. I went into Toys R Us recently and nearly went into sticker shock cardiac arrest looking at the Lord or the Rings sets on display. Now the prices are like Games Workshop's after the execs looked up "monopoly" in the dictionary and heard ka-ching.
I shouldn't get any joy from the idea of a lego-inflation induced heart attack. But for some reason, I do.

That's part of why I consider it to be like hipster and cool now, cause it's so expensive it doesn't even seem viable as the standard kids toy any more. There are knock-offs I guess you could invest in instead.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ubiquitous Duck said:
I shouldn't get any joy from the idea of a lego-inflation induced heart attack. But for some reason, I do.

That's part of why I consider it to be like hipster and cool now, cause it's so expensive it doesn't even seem viable as the standard kids toy any more. There are knock-offs I guess you could invest in instead.
Oh, I saw the knock offs there too, and they had just as many licensed sets that were lower but still out of kid's allowance territory. But, from my experience the knock offs fell apart easily and didn't survive getting dropped or stepped on. Your foot will feel extreme pain either way, but at least with genuine Legos you could wash off the blood and rebuild them. The knock off I had always had couple pieces that would break after putting them together or dropping the set on carpet from 2 feet up. Lego really is for the refined building block toy connoisseur that appreciates the precise molding process employed by Lego.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Hairless Mammoth said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:

Oh, I saw the knock offs there too, and they had just as many licensed sets that were lower but still out of kid's allowance territory. But, from my experience the knock offs fell apart easily and didn't survive getting dropped or stepped on. Your foot will feel extreme pain either way, but at least with genuine Legos you could wash off the blood and rebuild them. The knock off I had always had couple pieces that would break after putting them together or dropping the set on carpet from 2 feet up. Lego really is for the refined building block toy connoisseur that appreciates the precise molding process employed by Lego.
Are 'you' employed by Lego? It sounds like you work in their Sales Department!

Well I'm sold anyway. Screw the knock-offs, Lego for life!!

In seriousness though, I still plan to buy none of them Legos. It's really just not a hobby I can relate to. It's like my parents do jigsaw puzzles and I'm like: "That's what you made 'us' do when we were kids! Why are you choosing to do it now!?" I wish I had a more varied list of hobbies, but I really don't!

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Ubiquitous Duck said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:

Are 'you' employed by Lego? It sounds like you work in their Sales Department!

Well I'm sold anyway. Screw the knock-offs, Lego for life!!

In seriousness though, I still plan to buy none of them Legos. It's really just not a hobby I can relate to. It's like my parents do jigsaw puzzles and I'm like: "That's what you made 'us' do when we were kids! Why are you choosing to do it now!?" I wish I had a more varied list of hobbies, but I really don't!
ROFL! Actually the issue with th emost common of the knock offs, ie Megabloks, with all of their Halo and Call of Duty stuff is that they are made of polystyrene plastic vs Lego's ABS. Styrene doesn't "clutch" as well, warps with temperature changes and is more easily broken.

Yakostovian

Jul 26, 2010
The set as projected is too big. This would be more expensive than the previous record holder ($500 USD for the true-minifig scale Millennium Falcon) by at least $150 USD.