Monumental

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Monumental

The Monuments Men is a good movie that feels like it ought to?ve been great, but somehow it doesn't quite get there

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Shame. I'm glad the LEGO Movie turned out well, but I was really hoping this one would also be worth seeing.

Apr 17, 2009
Were Captain America himself to pass by in the background, he'd almost be injecting a note of subtlety.
...okay, now someone has to photoshop Captain America onto the film's poster. He'd work well over Jean Dujardin I think. Then replace Kate Blanchett's name with "Steve Rogers". I'd do it myself but I'm really more of an ideas man.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A shame. It sounds like the film falls a bit flat and a bit short. It saddens me somewhat that Jon Goodman and Bill Murray weren't given more to do, that is a waste of a good screen presence.

"The film is named for and (loosely) based on the exploits of a real organization formed during World War II on the ideal that the coming postwar rebuilding of Nazi-ravaged Western Europe would be substantially more difficult if as much of various nations' treasured artwork, landmarks and monuments as possible were spared from destruction - whether it be intentional carnage inflicted by the retreating Germans or friendly misfire by the Allies."
Should read "less" difficult.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds exactly like what I was expecting. And I still fully intend to go see it. I had a feeling it would run into this problem of having too many characters and not enough time to do stuff with them.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, I wonder if Bob would ever have any kind of basic rating system like the game reviewers do.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Lightknight said:
Hmm, I wonder if Bob would ever have any kind of basic rating system like the game reviewers do.
I prefer reviews that don't have a rating system for me it rarely describes what the review thought adequately and honestly it would be nice if game reviews didn't have it either.

Jun 23, 2008
...the coming postwar rebuilding of Nazi-ravaged Western Europe would be substantially more difficult if as much of various nations' treasured artwork, landmarks and monuments as possible were spared from destruction...

That parses to read: saving the art = more rebuilding troubles.

Either...

...the coming postwar rebuilding of Nazi-ravaged Western Europe would be substantially less difficult if as much of various nations' treasured artwork, landmarks and monuments as possible were spared from destruction...

...or..

...the coming postwar rebuilding of Nazi-ravaged Western Europe would be substantially more difficult unless as much of various nations' treasured artwork, landmarks and monuments as possible were spared from destruction...

I should also point out that much affects artwork, but doesn't do so well with monuments or landmarks, so...

...as many of various nations' treasured art pieces, landmarks and monuments...

238U
Grammar Nazi.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sanunes said:
Lightknight said:
I prefer reviews that don't have a rating system for me it rarely describes what the review thought adequately and honestly it would be nice if game reviews didn't have it either.
What is it to you if there's five gold/grey stars at the bottom of the page? Does that somehow impact the words over them?

Here's what it is, I was mildly interested in this movie. Bob's first paragraph told me all I needed to know and then there were pages of less pertinent info. So, I would also like a summation paragraph in case I somehow missed something in that body of an article that I didn't want to waste my time on thanks to his already apt paragraph letting me know that I won't be wasting my time on the movie itself. Right? Why read about a movie any further once you know you're not going to pay to see it?

I like Bob's writing.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I saw the movie, then read this article; funny enough, my girlfriend and I had said quite a few of the exact same things that Bob did.

I guess I missed the implication in Basterds that the Americans were unwilling to bomb the church he was in, though.

When talking about what the movie did wrong, I kept referring to Indiana Jones -- there are a ton of things that the two Nazi-related movies in the series did significantly better than Monuments Men. This movie keeps trying to hammer home that we should hate the Nazis for destroying art, but then they undermine that by telling us to get mad about the mass killings. Bob Balaban's character finds the frame of a burned Picasso just as the other characters find a barrel of gold teeth; my anger at the latter act is going to diminish my anger at the former. As Bob pointed out, basically the same thing happens with the officer at the end.

Meanwhile in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Donovan has the line talking about how the valuables (which the Sultan turns down in favor of the Rolls Royce) were "donated" by German families; the movie assumed you could figure out where those items came from. In the main plots of the two movies, it's perfectly sufficient to be upset that the Nazis are trying to steal the Ark and the Grail, because the viewer knows what kind of evil they want to subject the world to with that power.

Monuments Men keeps asking the question "Is art worth dying for and killing for?", but then it dilutes the message by pointing out even better reasons why we should fight, and risk dying. If we've then decided that we're fighting to prevent those deaths, how much can we really claim we're still fighting for the art?