Paul Bettany To Play 'Vision' In The Avengers: Age of Ultron

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Paul Bettany To Play 'Vision' In The Avengers: Age of Ultron

The Avengers 2 gets its android hero.

After months of speculation which at one point included the likes of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125859-Vin-Diesel-Seemingly-Reveals-His-Marvel-Studios-Role][/I] star Clark Gregg, actor Paul Bettany has been cast as Vision in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Bettany is best-known in the U.S. for roles in A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, and the British crime drama Gangster No. 1.

Debuting in 1968, Vision is an android built by the villain Ultron as part of a plot to kill Hank Pym, otherwise known as Ant-Man who, incidentally, happens to be the creator of Ultron. (Yeah, it's convoluted.) One of the earliest foes of The Avengers, Vision was quickly convinced to change sides and has ever since been associated with the super hero team, most recently appearing in the ongoing Avengers A.I. series. The character is romantically linked to The Scarlet Witch, to be played in Age of Ultron by Elizabeth Olsen.

Bettany also provides the voice of artificial intelligence program J.A.R.V.I.S. in the Iron Man films. While no connection between the two roles has been announced, an Ant-Man film, directed by Scott Pilgrim vs the World [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7973-The-Worlds-End] helmer Edgar Wright, takes place after the events of Age of Ultron, making it unlikely that Vision's comic book origins will be adhered-to strictly.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron begins filming in March, 2014, and is set to premier on May 1, 2015.

Source: The Daily Mail [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-marvels-avengers-age-of-ultron-1201090635/]

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty interesting to me that they get the guy voicing JARVIS (Iron Man's AI) to play an Android that may or may not be created by Ultron. Almost "telling," in a way. I wondered if there would be a connection between Ultron, Stark, Iron Man and JARVIS.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Holy italicizes Bat-Ma... oh wait, wrong comic universe.

As someone who hasn't ready any comics, I have absolutely no clue what any of this really means, nor do I care, except that there are more robots in the movie. More robots is good, right?

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
I feel irresponsible outright saying it in the article but privately I am going to bet 50 thousand imaginary dollars that J.A.R.V.I.S. ends up being uploaded into a humanoid body to become Vision.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
RossaLincoln said:
I feel irresponsible outright saying it in the article but privately I am going to bet 50 thousand imaginary dollars that J.A.R.V.I.S. ends up being uploaded into a humanoid body to become Vision.
When I heard of Age of Ultron, and saw the teaser from Comic Con (?) that made it seem as though Stark's Iron Man helmet was being reforged to form Ultron's head, I suspected that Ultron would be the result of some JARVIS + Stark amalgam, perhaps stemming from Stark's "control my armor telepathically" experiment in Iron Man 3. I was thinking that perhaps a "corrupted" JARVIS would combine with remnants of the Destroyer from Thor, and that would be the basis for Ultron.

EDIT: Or have Stark be working on The Destroyer's corpse, and the Destroyer's consciousness then corrupting JARVIS, or something.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
You're right, and I thought the same thing. And Almost certainly the destroyer will be involved, especially after that gun was made from it.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
What I'm more interested in is who they will get to voice Thanos when he appears in a movie.
My personal preference would be someone like Brendon Small.
You might know him for voicing Nathan Explosion in Metalocalypse.

I cannot imagine Thanos with a voice other than a death metal vocalist growling.

Just look at him, try to imagine what voice he could have, there is very little that would fit a face and demeanour like that.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
"The Avengers 2 gets its android hero."
Or, hopefully, NOT.

I'd rather see The Vision as a baddie that turns good instead of just a goodie that stays goodie or does the whole 'sleeper agent' crap.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Ant-Man will be direceted bu Wright!?!?!?!!!!
How did I miss that --> IT WILL BE AWESEOME!!!!!

This sounds nice, maybe they will make a Vision / JARVIS connection, just for laughs... would be nice :p

Tanis said:
"The Avengers 2 gets its android hero."
Or, hopefully, NOT.
I was thinking along the lines of
Ultron creates him
He goes Vision bad
Something happens -insert happening-
Vision changes sides

But I wouldn't know...

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
HAHAH, Guffe, I think you've just stumbled on the formula for how 90% of all tentpole film screenplays are written.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I didn't even know we were going to see Vision. I'm sure as hell not complaining;D
I hope they let him keep his malleable face. I could see them giving him a BayFormers style noisy mechanical face, and that would suck.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Shuu, I think we can assume there's no way they'll cast an actor like Paul Bettany and not allow him the ability to emote facially. I'll bet it'll be a very human, though somewhere in the middle of the uncanny valley, face.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
Paul Bettany is one of my favourite actors, so having him actually acting in the film as opposed to just voice acting sounds good to me.

RossaLincoln said:
Bettany is best-known in the U.S. for roles in A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, and the British crime drama Gangster No. 1.
Was Gangster No. 1 that popular in the U.S.? I would think way more people over here would know him for playing Geoffrey Chaucer in A Knight's Tale.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
SPOILER: I Love A Knight's Tale. But that film, while much higher profile, is largely considered a so-bad-it's-good, mostly forgotten artifact of the early 00s. I confess I am indulging in some confirmation bias here, but at least among film lovers, Gangster No. 1 is more highly regarded.