The Terminator's Flaws Targeted in 6-Minute Video

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Terminator's Flaws Targeted in 6-Minute Video

Cinema Sins recently released a 6-minute rundown of The Terminator and its many problems.

In the humble opinion of this news writer, Terminator 2 is one of the finest action films ever made. From start to finish it hits all the right notes whether they're centered in human drama or pulse-pounding action. The original Terminator film meanwhile, isn't quite at that same level.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Terminator. It's an incredibly enjoyable flick that laid the groundwork for one of the iconic action franchises there is. That said, it was also made in 1984 back when James Cameron's resources and polish aren't anywhere near what they were even just a few years down the road. The point here is that it's not perfect and if you don't believe us the folks at Cinema Sins have recently released a video detailing everything the flick that made Arnold the household name he is today got wrong.

Granted, most of the problems highlighted are minor in nature but, if nothing else, they do underscore some of the limitations that have led to the film aging a bit more poorly than its near-perfect successor. What do you think? Is this video on the mark or do the The Terminator's merits supersede its bountiful flaws?

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRg6GpuLVI>YouTube

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
StewShearer said:
Granted, most of the problems highlighted are minor in nature but, if nothing else, they do underscore some of the limitations that have led to the film aging a bit more poorly than its near-perfect predecessor.
And by "predecessor", you mean successor, yes?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The Terminator is better than T2. The original remains a stunning sci-fi action movie - one of the all time 80s greats - and since he didn't have a massive sfx budget to play with Cameron had to make it great by directing the hell out of it.

I think the sequel is hugely overrated - a bloated, PG-friendly, sfx showreel which helped usher in the end of the ultra-violent 80s action movie in favor of their neutered 90s successors (though Beyond Thunderdome probably started that trend a few years earlier.)

Oh, the vid? Eh, I got a laugh out of a couple of lines but it's mostly nitpicking, at best.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
The Terminator is better than T2. The original remains a stunning sci-fi action movie - one of the all time 80s greats - and since he didn't have a massive sfx budget to play with Cameron had to make it great by directing the hell out of it.

I think the sequel is hugely overrated - a bloated, PG-friendly, sfx showreel which helped usher in the end of the ultra-violent 80s action movie in favor of their neutered 90s successors (though Beyond Thunderdome probably started that trend a few years earlier.)

Oh, the vid? Eh, I got a laugh out of a couple of lines but it's mostly nitpicking, at best.
A lot of this. I love the original Terminator. Nobody had seen anything like a terminator, especially at the end out of it's skin. That image of it coming out of the fire is burned into my brain. I let my five year old watch it (I was six when I saw it)...scared him just as bad (his mother wasn't too happy with me for letting him watch that)! It was a great flick and a highlight of an era.

I'm not quite as hard on T2 however. I don't see it as a movie that killed and era as much as launched one. Copy-cat industry and all that. It was so well done and received it changed how sci-fi thrillers were done. It's hard to call something with that effect overrated. The transformation of Linda Hamilton alone made that sequel something special.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
pearcinator said:
What? T2 is just as violent as the original...it's not PG at all.
And in some ways I'd argue it's quite a bit more graphic than the original as well.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Cinema Sins only really work if you take them as an entertaining curiousity. It's not a great way to seriously judge the quality of the film

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
pearcinator said:
What? T2 is just as violent as the original...it's not PG at all.
No it is not, but the film is known for being not really all that gory, or really even as violent. All the killing going on in the movie is performed by the bad guy. When John Conner makes the T-500 swear not to kill anyone, he really doesn't.

The language and other things are also quite stripped out. I think everything after Sarah is rescued is almost what you can get away with on TV today.

OP: I'm glad Cinemasins got some recognition, I love watching their videos, although I disagree, I think Terminator 1 is more a slasher film with a robot. T2 required more special effects, but anybody who calls James Cameron's BS on T2 has to say the same thing about Aliens, because except for the older child in T2, it's literally the same film. Either way, it's a great video.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I love CinemaSins! And I love Terminator! This is like a Reese's Cup. They also did a video called "What's the Damage?" where they calculated the monetary cost of damage that was done in Terminator 2. They've also done that for Die Hard.

BrotherRool said:
Cinema Sins only really work if you take them as an entertaining curiousity. It's not a great way to seriously judge the quality of the film
I think you're missing the point of CinemaSins...

You're not supposed to use them to judge the quality of a film. You're supposed to enjoy them nitpicking a film. Pointing out plot holes, inconsistencies, errors, and anything else they come up with. If you treat them as a comedy and entertainment, like Yahtzee, you will enjoy them a lot.

I guarantee you they enjoy most of the films they nitpick.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
SourMilk said:
I agree, most points are purely based on hindsight and some things that not even the narrator understands.
And films aren't meant to be logically flawless essays. It's what the viewer feels when they're watching it that's important

Saltyk said:
BrotherRool said:
I think you're missing the point of CinemaSins...

You're not supposed to use them to judge the quality of a film. You're supposed to enjoy them nitpicking a film. Pointing out plot holes, inconsistencies, errors, and anything else they come up with. If you treat them as a comedy and entertainment, like Yahtzee, you will enjoy them a lot.

I guarantee you they enjoy most of the films they nitpick.
That's literally what I mean by 'entertaining curiousity' :p. It works if you're watching it as a bit of fun, it doesn't if you feel like it's part of why Terminator 2 was the better film or whatever.

Yahtzee is a bit of a different thing because he's legitimately striving to evaluate parts of the game amongst the comedy. Cinema sins are absolutely focused 'oh isn't that neat/funny I never thought about that' fun*

*which isn't a bad thing

Dec 16, 2009
my good gods. that video was nit picking at its finest "leaves student ID lying around for Terminator to find"
the special FX nit pick regarding the rubber skin really grinds my gears

slightly off topic. its cool when arnies arm gets busted up mid film, and he needs to make repairs (hence the running away). makes the Terminator seem like it can be beaten, but its going to take a lotby Terminator 3, you could do anything to them.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
CriticKitten said:
I'm confused. Why is this a news story on a gaming website?
The Escapist doesn't cover only games.

I don't judge movies based on Cinema Sins. They nit-pick the movies they like. Of course, they've also nit-picked a bad film or two. **coughthelastairbendercough** Overall, do you really think they'd go through this much trouble if they didn't like (at least most of) the films they mock? Who gives such attention to detail for things they hate over and over again?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CriticKitten said:
EiMitch said:
The Escapist doesn't cover only games.
Er, so? When exactly did they start becoming an advertising site for YouTube channels?
When they were bought out by Digital Alloy, whom own Smosh.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
s_h_a_d_o said:
StewShearer said:
Granted, most of the problems highlighted are minor in nature but, if nothing else, they do underscore some of the limitations that have led to the film aging a bit more poorly than its near-perfect predecessor.
And by "predecessor", you mean successor, yes?
Yes.... Sigh. Thanks!

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Urr, slow news day?

I mean, CinemaSins have been doing this for over a year now so this isn't any new thing, and this doesn't seem like a bought-out advertisement.

It seems like "hey guys I found this thing on the internet" material, which would be good material for a blog, but not news.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
CinemaSins is comedic by nature, even though the points they have are valid. They've said on multiple occasions that a lot of the films they rip on are actually films they like, and are doing it out of a sort of love (you know, the same thing as parodies that are done as love letters rather than as open mockery).