League of Legends' Adds Vel'Koz, The Eye of The Void to Its Roster

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends' Adds Vel'Koz, The Eye of The Void to Its Roster

The latest League of Legends champion brings eye lasers and tentacles to the table.

Earlier in the year, League of Legends players on the public test realm leaked information about Vel'Koz, an upcoming champion. Now, Riot has confirmed that Vel'Koz, the Eye of the Void, will indeed be the next champion to enter the League of Legends. Vel'Koz is a ranged mage who can blast out large damage over sustained fights. With long-range harass available from the start of the game, Vel'Koz is a fragile but threatening early presence who relies on his teammates' protection to bring his full force to bear come late game.

Most people will want to play the tentacled eye-ball as a mid-lane champion. Here's his list of abilities:

Passive: Organic Deconstruction
Vel'Koz's abilities Deconstruct those they strike. After being hit three times by his abilities, minions, monsters and enemy champions are Deconstructed and suffer bonus true damage. Enemies lose their Deconstruction stacks by avoiding Vel'Koz's attacks for a short while.

Q: Plasma Fission
Vel'Koz fires a plasma bolt that slows and damages the first enemy struck. Once Plasma Fission hits, reaches its maximum range or is reactivated a second time, the bolt splits at a 90 degree angle. The split bolts deal the same damage and apply the same slow.

W: Void Rift
Vel'Koz sends out a straight line blast that tears open a temporary rift to the Void before exploding. Both the initial tear and the delayed explosion damage and apply Deconstruction stacks to caught enemies.

E: Tectonic Disruption
After a brief delay Vel'Koz disrupts a nearby area, damaging and launching all enemies caught into the air. Enemies hit that are close to Vel'Koz are also knocked back slightly.

R: Life Form Disintegration Ray
Vel'Koz channels a ray of infinite energy that follows the cursor for a brief while, damaging, slowing and Deconstructing all enemies in range.

And here's a picture of him in action (click to enlarge):

[<http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/678/678939.jpg]

As per usual, there is no definitive date on when Vel'Koz will be released, but it looks like he may already have a legendary skin in the works! [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/skin-preview/glorious-evolution-battlecast-velkoz]

Source: Riot Games [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/champion-reveal/velkoz-eye-void-revealed]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
He looks pretty badass. I really need to try LoL out one of these days.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Getting a very strong Void Ray feel from him.
Love those things...they are the only way I know how to play Starcraft :(

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Well he certainly sounds OP as hell, especially if he has like a Lux ult that can sweep across the field and slow people. I'll give him a spin.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Faceless void wishes he was in LoL he would of at least gotten to see then.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
He does look very cool, but his skills seem a bit boring there is nothing that special about him.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I dunno if I like someone with Vel in there name as a char means people might start using it or such and its my kickname D:

OT: While I dont play LoL I do think alot of its chars look pretty cool and this guy should be blocked from Japan

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I really don't need another mage in my roster, but I can't help it - this guy just looks awesome.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure I've seen this hentai.

Can't wait for his rule 34 artwork. It's literally the best thing about LoL.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
That Deconstruction passive sounds nasty. Will LoL players be dreading seeing this guy in lane or is it not that bad?

Greg

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Greg Tito said:
That Deconstruction passive sounds nasty. Will LoL players be dreading seeing this guy in lane or is it not that bad?

Greg
He appears to be a skill-heavy champ. If you can land his skillshots, he will wreck in lane with that passive. If you can't he'll be pretty useless.

But I haven't played him yet so I can't be exactly sure.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Greg Tito said:

Greg
Well, you can trust Riot to balance his moveset out E V E N T U A L L Y, but he'll probably be a pain for a month or two. You know, give everyone time to buy him before the nerf.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
A tentacle monster... fighting a school girl.

I'll just... go sit in the corner.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Greg Tito said:

Greg
His lack of escape makes him very vulnerable to ganks so that sort of balances his apparent high damage.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I want ao shin. What the fuck.
Why even tease him and then keep people in the dark for months while releasing new champs that were never teased.
I could literally not care less about another "loldamage" mage while I keep waiting for that supposed "support champ with a twist".
Shit that gets leaked gets released but shit they announce keeps getting pushed back with no further notice.
This is so annoying.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Greg Tito said:

Greg
His Q is a skillshot that is basically impossible to dodge without remaining out of range or behind minions.
His W doesn't appear to be anything too special, though it is aoe for all that's worth.
His E apparently (from what I read elsewhere) stacks up "ammunition" and can be used in quick succession until you run out of "ammo."
His ult applies a slow, can kinda be retargeted, and applies a load of stacks of his passive (up to 5 I think).
His scalings to Ability Power all suck though, meaning he'll probably just have a very strong mid game. That having been said, his Q should make him hard to deal with in lane, and his e should allow him to destroy people with his passive assuming that the true damage is relatively decent, so he should be really, really annoying to face in lane. He does appear to fall off like a rock though, but the scalings could change before he is actually released.

Edit:
I got that backwards, his W is the ability that stacks ammunition, not his E. Considering that his W applies his passive twice, that's actually kinda horrifying.