Epic Raiders of The Lost Ark Fan Film Nears Completion

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Epic Raiders of The Lost Ark Fan Film Nears Completion

The shot-for-shot remake, 30 years in the making, is using Kickstarter to finish the final scene.

Back in 1982, two young boys by the names of Chris Strompolo and Eric Zala were stoked after seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark and were looking for adventure of their own. Even though they were only 10 and 11, respectively, they set out to make a shot-for-shot remake of Raiders using whatever they could get their hands on. They worked on what would later be called Raiders of The Lost Ark: The Adaptation until 1989, completing every scene except for one, the epic battle with the burly Nazi under the experimental airplane. Now, Strompolo and Zala are looking to Kickstarter to get the funds to [a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raidersguys/raiders-guys-and-the-lost-airplane-scene]finally finish[/a] what they started 30 years ago.

The fan film has become a cult classic shortly after the two called it quits in 1989. It featured every scene, line of dialog, and stunt, recreated with little budget, but lots of love. Boy Scout uniforms doubled as Nazi garb, and cardboard cutouts became exotic jungles. They even painted hieroglyphics on their basement wall, turning it into the Well of Souls. As boys, they never figured out a good way to shoot the airplane scene, but now they want to revisit it and finally finish their childhood project. With that complete, they'll also release a digital version, so those of us far away from a fandom nexus, like the Alamo Drafthouse, can still see it.

The entire Raiders Adaptation story is pretty amazing. It's been documented in a [a]book[/a], which has also been recently [a href=http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/napoleon-dynamite-producer-sets-movie-about-the-kids-who-made-shot-by-shot-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-remake/]optioned[/a] as a movie by Napoleon Dynamite producer Jeremy Coon. The most I ever did as a kid was construct a crane to better haul water guns into my tree house, and even then it didn't work so well. I hope these guys can get the funds to finally finish their dream project and do it right. To adventure and imagination!

Source: [a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raidersguys/raiders-guys-and-the-lost-airplane-scene]Kickstarter[/a]

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Wait, so... does Mr. Indiana Jones suddenly grow from 12 years old to 30 for the last scene or something?

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Surely by making a $50,000 (or $125,000 as their stretch goal) scene is going to make it stick out in the middle of the film even more when compared to the low-budget, no doubt shoddy looking 80's betamax shots. Why not go back and recreate the low-budget love even if sure, you're actors will have grown by 30 years?

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Alpha Maeko said:
Wait, so... does Mr. Indiana Jones suddenly grow from 12 years old to 30 for the last scene or something?

Nope, that's entirely correct, and possibly in keeping with the spirit of the remake anyways.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
IanDavis said:
Alpha Maeko said:

Nope, that's entirely correct, and possibly in keeping with the spirit of the remake anyways.
Presumably their characters are jumping about in age between 12 and 16 already, so this is just one more jump.

But I agree with the above post, I don't see why they need such a massive chunk of Kickstarter money. Surely this is something that could be done very cheaply, especially with the money they are presumably making out of the story being optioned.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Flatfrog said:
IanDavis said:
Alpha Maeko said:

Presumably their characters are jumping about in age between 12 and 16 already, so this is just one more jump.

But I agree with the above post, I don't see why they need such a massive chunk of Kickstarter money. Surely this is something that could be done very cheaply, especially with the money they are presumably making out of the story being optioned.
The main drive behind all this was always to do the best they could, as faithful as possible. It would be really a dream come true for them to finish it with a bang. The magic behind this adaptation is that you can feel that the guys always aimed to the best, with a truckload of obvious limitations.

Pledged.