Titanfall Will Feature a "Campaign Multiplayer" Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Will Feature a "Campaign Multiplayer" Mode

Titanfall's "campaign multiplayer" will feature a lot more story flavor and scripted events than the "classic" modes of the beta.

Titanfall does not have the traditional singleplayer campaign mode that is prevalent in most multiplayer shooter series such as Call of Duty and Battlefield. However, that doesn't mean it won't have a story, in fact, Respawn Community Manager Abbie Heppe explains that the game will feature a "campaign multiplayer" mode, which will have a lot more story flavor and scripted events than the "classic" modes players are currently enjoying in the beta.

"With the campaign multiplayer, you'll play once through as the IMC and once through as the Militia," Heppe wrote. "Because it's a multiplayer game, it's always moving. It'll start out with these scripted sequences, and there'll be way more dialog and characters and way more context for the world than you would otherwise get in the classic modes, but it's not a single-player game. It is still a multiplayer game with story elements woven in."

Heppe says that the decision to drop a traditional story-based singleplayer campaign was to give Titanfall's multiplayer as much attention as other developers devote to their singleplayer modes.

"So when we talk about the game having singleplayer elements, one of the things we're really talking about is the quality of what you're seeing in multiplayer," Heppe added. "It doesn't get done a lot, because normally you're saving the high-quality art, animation, everything like that for the single-player and scripted portions of the game. For us, we're trying to get that attention to detail and those big, epic moments and that really cinematic stuff, but have it happen in multiplayer."

Certainly sounds very interesting, and IMO is a way better idea than just shoehorning on a singleplayer campaign that no-one wants to play anyway.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2014/02/17/respawn-answers-your-titanfall-questions/]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm not sure what the point of such a mode is, but I can't say I don't like it.

I just struggle to see how you can make even a semi-coherent story out of a multiplayer match. All the storytelling and the like will have to be purely environmental, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you don't need "scripted sequences" to do that.

I've been playing the beta over the weekend and it's done a pretty good job of telling the basics of the story simply through environment and aesthetic design. I can't see what stuffing scripted sequences that inevitably detract from the multiplayer experience will add to it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sounds like multiplayer matches with a bit of story laced onto it. Well, at least they're being more up front about it than Brink was and hey, I'm actually interested to see what story this world has to tell.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
could be interesting. it sounds a bit like L4D in a way. might give it a try but for now, beta MP just rocks.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Still not interested, I'm afraid. Playing from NZ means I'll probably have shitty latency. And I just don't like shooters or multiplayer enough to risk that.

But that's me. By all means go for it, people who aren't me. Sounds like it's a pretty solid beta.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Everyone seems to be writing this game off as a CoD clone when in reality it seems to just be a better Brink with less focus on a unique graphics style and more focus on crazy parkour and mech battles.
The beta was fucking amazing, I went in expecting something similar to the average military shooter but was blown away with the game so far.
I hope they nerf that smart pistol a bit but other than that it's fun.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Titanfall does not have the traditional singleplayer campaign mode that is prevalent in most multiplayer shooter series such as Call of Duty and Battlefield.
You are wrong here, CoD and battlefield don't have singleplayer campains. Just tacked on, half arsed bullshit.

Now, personally, i am kinda weary about this, since in MP you are dependent on other people. Let's put the whole stupid AI and crappy lobbies aside (yes i will always ***** about those lobbies, hate them with a passion). What happens if you lose connection? Or if you get switched to the other side mid match due to balance issues. Do you have to make notes of every side so you can create a coherent picture of what the fuck is going on?

Guess it's a, we will know when its done, moment. but first instincts say they were better off doing either ONLY multiplayer, or just add on a single player campaign (and please NOT like brink did)

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Well that just caused me to not preorder this game. I have fun in the multiplayer but I feel that a game NEEDS some form of OFFLINE singleplayer and it needs to be able to justify the purchase price on said singleplayer alone because more often than not by the time I can afford to pick up a game like this the multiplayer is DEAD and as such the game I just purchased is worthless because nobody else is playing it which means I can't play the singleplayer because it is just glorified multiplayer!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Meh, wished it was more along the line of conquering territory on behalf of the IMC or Militia. Still an interesting idea though, I'll give it that. Then again, published by EA...

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Anything thats no longer playable in a couple of years (multiplayer-dependant) is imo, a waste of time.... (because it CAN'T stand the test of time)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Agayek said:
I can't see what stuffing scripted sequences that inevitably detract from the multiplayer experience will add to it.
I think the scripted element of each match (running for the Dropship at the end) is the best part of Titanfall that we've seen so far.

Focusing the entire match onto one point makes it much more intense and actually allows squad based play to come into it (even if the matchmaking system stinks). I'm finding 6v6 too sparse since players don't work together and the AI grunts are basically window dressing, if they presented a higher threat (or there were lots more of them) it would be more interesting, but as it is matches equate to a lot of running about and not very much fighting.

It's especially bad in Hardpoint, where just legging it round the map avoiding the other team and blowing through Grunts is more effective than actually fighting. If the way to win in a FPS is to not fight then it's got something wrong, running a more directed battle (more a kin to Quake's Assault Mode or Battlefield Rush) would certainly improve Titanfall in my eyes.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Snotnarok said:
Man, that weapon is really weird.
I keep getting killed by other pilots using it, but when i try to use it myself it just sucks.
That half second it needs to actually lock on to the enemy is usually deadly for me and the saving grace for the enemy.
Been faring much better just with the normal shotgun, since i am nearly always inside on short distance when i am not in a titan.
Then again i can imagine that the smart pistol is much much better on consoles, since it's auto targetting is more beneficial when you don't have a mouse.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm interested in seeing how they do it. It would be cool to see multiplayer games start getting stories outside of shitty tacked on singleplayers and relying on background information.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This was something that Brink did, which sounded like a good idea at the time.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
They can put whatever modes they want in it, but unless they have a strong Custom Games mode, I'm probs not gonna buy it.

Mar 26, 2008
Actually I'm kind of interested in this. During the 0.1 second intervals that I wasn't getting shot at or shooting someone in the beta I found myself wondering about the backstory of the maps. Might sound strange but I hope in the "multi-player campaign" that is something they explore.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Amaror said:
Snotnarok said:
I keep getting killed by other pilots using it, but when i try to use it myself it just sucks.
That half second it needs to actually lock on to the enemy is usually deadly for me and the saving grace for the enemy.
Been faring much better just with the normal shotgun, since i am nearly always inside on short distance when i am not in a titan.
Then again i can imagine that the smart pistol is much much better on consoles, since it's auto targetting is more beneficial when you don't have a mouse.
the weapon gets a lot stronger when you get the upgrade that decreases lock-on time and increases range.
i actually think the gun is fairly balanced, it's main purpose is to reliably hit people who are in the air and to stealth kill people without fucking up the shot. this might also be the reason why a lot of people hate the gun, you almost always get killed from behind by somebody who has cloak up, which can be annoying(unless you know they are there and arc grenade their ass)

i just hope that great LMG i got as a BC is a weapon i can put into my loadout, those things are my favourite weapons in shooters.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Amaror said:
Snotnarok said:
I've watched killcams, it maintains the lock for a bit even around corners, so if you manage to get around a wall, they jump up- fire, you die because all 4 bullets fire nearly at once. I've lost with a shotgun at close range, I back off behind a wall when I know the guy is coming, I pop out fi- I die. I've seen shots go quite far too, so I'm not sure what the downfall is as you don't even need to aim down sights (which slows you down when you do), just run, wait, fire, win.