"Mortal Kombat Murderer" Gets 36 Years

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
"Mortal Kombat Murderer" Gets 36 Years

Lamar Roberts, who pleaded guilty to charges of killing a seven-year-old girl while acting out moves from Mortal Kombat, was sentenced to 36 years in prison and five months probation on Friday in Colorado.

Roberts, who was 17 at the time of the incident and is 18 now, was tried as an adult and faced 16 to 48 years in prison. He pleaded guilty in December to charges of child abuse resulting in death for the December 2007 death of seven-year-old Zoe Garcia, the step-sister of his girlfriend Heather Trujillo. Roberts and Trujillo, according to Colorado news station acting out [http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=107903&catid=339] moves from Mortal Kombat on the girl, and were "kicking and punching [Garcia] until she died."

"I apologize to the family, and I do agree I do deserve to get what I get," Roberts said at the sentencing hearing. "But I would never intentionally want this to happen, and it's not who I am, I'm not a monster and I'm truly sorry for what happened."

Roberts' supporters pleaded to the judge for leniency, saying that a lifetime of hardship spent caring for a negligent mother, suffering from severe ADHD and dealing with alcoholism had proven too much for the teenager. "I've been a part of Lamar's life since he was four years old, and the child I know is loving, devoted and extremely loyal," one of Roberts' relatives said. Ultimately the judge took all this account, but decided that 36 years was the appropriate punishment for Roberts, who inflicted the majority of the injuries that led to Garcia's death.

Garcia's family wanted the maximum penalty for Roberts. "Please consider that she will never have a life again," Dana Trujillo, Zoe Garcia's mother, pleaded to the judge at the hearing. "I believe he's a monster, to kill any little kid," added Garcia's grandmother. "I'll never see my grandaughter again."

Heather Trujillo, who pleaded guilty to negligently causing death through child abuse, had already been sentenced and will serve six years in a youthful offenders program.

Though the prosecution and media were quick to tag the Mortal Kombat angle onto this incident, the real tragedy seems to be that, regardless of any videogame's involvement in all this, Zoe Garcia's life was always deeply troubled. Zoe's mother, Dana Trujillo herself, was arrested on an old child abuse warrant from New Mexico. Social service records show multiple complaints of abuse toward Zoe in multiple states, making clear that this was an extremely dysfunctional family to begin with.

[Via What They Play [http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2009/01/19/man-sentenced-to-36-years-in-prison-for-killing-ch/]]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This is a real shame. A tragic waste and loss of life.

It's easy to jump on the 'what an asshole' or 'I hope he gets ass-raped in prison' band wagon, but hearing of his hard upbringing stays my tongue. It doesn't excuse his actions, not by a long shot, but I really do hope he gets the rehabilitation and help he obviously needs.

I also find it interesting the mother and grandmother saying he is a monster, when she's been abused before by her own family.

It's so easy to pick up a stone when you aren't the one being hit with it.

Feb 13, 2008
Remind me, what MK characters have these special moves?

"punched her in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim's thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim's chest."

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
All his excuses mean nothing, still killed someone, trying to get out of it by blaming video games. Unless he froze her, threw a fireball, poored acid on, smoked, shot, choked with a snake, electrocuted, telekenitckly threw, and then finished her off with some sort of decapitation or other finisher, then no you were not emulating mortal combat, you were emulating violence. And at age 17, you did it on purpose, severe ADHD my ass!

Either Fox News or Nancy Grace will be doing some report on this tonight.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ADHD = I can do everything I want because I'm a psycho.

ADHD + South Park therapy = no ADHD.

I thought blaming Mortal Kombat was cool in 90's.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
So gaming will get some bad press, big deal.

It's happened before.

What's tragic is that a kid with potential to do anything he wanted is now fucked for life.

What's tragic is that a child coming from a terrible family didn't get a chance to escape that family.

What's tragic is that all of that will be over looked in the media's surging over it's "connection" with video games.

R.I.P Zoe Garcia.

May Karma be kind to you.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Hm... Not much of a flawless victory...

Aries_Split said:

It's happened before.

What's tragic is that a kid with potential to do anything he wanted is now fucked for life.

What's tragic is that a child coming from a terrible family didn't get a chance to escape that family.

What's tragic is that all of that will be over looked in the media's surging over it's "connection" with video games.

R.I.P Zoe Garcia.

That's really all anyone could say about this. It's just sad.

The Dream Walker

Oct 9, 2008
Anyone who kills a 7 year old deserves life as far as im concerned. What a scum bag.

This is just the kind of excuse the media is looking for to put a bad rep on games.
Video games are ...just that, games. The rating system was created for a reason. The games themselves should not be to blame. The parents have a responsability to raise and guide there child and to be weary of what their child plays.
I've been playing violent games since i was 7. Lucky for me I was raised with good parents that explain'd that these weren't real, that it was just a game and violence in real life is a terrible thing. But a lot of parents are ignorant as to what their children play. Im a gamer. I love video games, but i gotta admit it makes me sick to my stomach whenever im in a gamestop and i hear 10 year olds or younger talking about GTA or Gears of War or Mortal Kombat. Those games are rated M for a very good reason and little kids should not be playing them. Games are a stress reliever. They are a way to escape reality and be part of some thing epic and exciting and larger than life and under the right conditions they can be very enjoyable. It's just a real tragedy to hear that someone murders another person because of a videogame. It ruins it for every gamer out there.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Aries_Split said:

It's happened before.

R.I.P Zoe Garcia.

This is all that needs to be said really.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
The Dream Walker said:
Anyone who kills a 7 year old deserves life as far as im concerned. What a scum bag.
It's a dark, late night, you stumble out of the bar with some buddies, and don't have any money to pay for a cab, so your friend Jackson comes up with the idea that you should drive everyone home.

You, in your drunken impressionable state, agree.

You drop off Jackson first, and on your way to the Dorm you share with the only other person in the car, Donald, you start to feel rather sleepy. Suddenly you notice 2 figures walking across the street you could have sworn weren't there a second ago. You slam on the brakes and swerve the left, crashing in a streetlight.

You wake up in a hospital room, everyone looks at you with expressions of mingled pity and contempt.

It isn't until your "friend" Jackson visits you a few hours later do you learn that the 2 people crossing the street was a mother, aged 37, and her 7 year old daughter. The swerve to the left caused you to the hit the child full force.

She didn't make it.

You plead guilty in the court, hoping for a light sentence, yet at the same time filled with a self loathing that wants nothing more than for the mother to drive a knife through your heart.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

"punched her in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim's thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim's chest."
I think that was Chuckles: the Sort of Aggressive Clown from MK4

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
What MK moves did he do exactly? From what I've heard he didnt throw a rope-spear at her and shout "Get over here!",he didnt freeze her with an ice-ball,he sure as hell didnt bicycle kick her!

oni565

Jan 9, 2009
People like him piss me off so much. Not for the fact that he killed a person, although I am pretty sad for her. It's the fact that now people are going to blame MK as some murder-simulator that trains kids to kill (jack thompson, Jack Thompson, JACK THOMPSON!)

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
KarmicToast said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

I think that was Chuckles: the Sort of Aggressive Clown from MK4
Well I don't think that the guy who blames mortal combat can pull off any of the fatalities. Well except the one where you stuff your hand in your opponents chest cavity and yank out a beating heart (then again the sternum is one of the hardest bones in our bodies)

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Well, it looks like they're more blaming the dysfunctional family now than the games, but it seems like we'll never be free of the stigma that gaming carries.
Still, it's good to know that he's at least being punished for so callously taking another's life.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Calax said:
Well I don't think that the guy who blames mortal combat can pull off any of the fatalities. Well except the one where you stuff your hand in your opponents chest cavity and yank out a beating heart (then again the sternum is one of the hardest bones in our bodies)
That's why you go in through the abdomen and up through the diaphragm. The Aztecs knew all about getting your beating heart out....