8 Reasons Link Is Relevant After 28 Years

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Reasons Link Is Relevant After 28 Years

Today is the 28th anniversary of the release of The Legend of Zelda, and for that we are giving you a gallery of some of the best games of the franchise. Enjoy the pretty pictures and stop damaging all of the pottery in town, all for some piddly rupees.

Read Full Article

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Is this a joke? You aren't giving resons at all, you're just enumerating Zelda games. Now since all the premises are similar I don't know whether that's the joke or you genuinely forgot to think of any reasons at all.

QmunkE

Feb 13, 2008
Not even very well researched - Link's Awakening doesn't take place in Hyrule and predates Majora's Mask by about seven years...it's also a much better game.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Excuse me, but did the Cracked editors invade your office when you were giving this a title? Because that is the only site where I was used to these kinds of misleading headlines... well, until now, that is.

I mean, the actual topic of the title could even be interesting! You could have given us pictures of cosplayers, showing that Link is still beloved by the fanbase, or you could have cited stuff like Hyrule: Total War to the same effect. Or you could have explored the legacy of the series, like how other action-adventure games are borrowing mechanics from the Zelda games to this day (looking at you, Darkstalkers). There was so much potential... and instead you went with this unimaginative cop-out...

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This game was the first to take us away from Hyrule and into the much darker Termina.
No. Nope, nada, nuh-uh, no. Link's Awakening was released well before Majora's Mask, and most definitely doesn't take place in Hyrule.

It takes place inside Link's head.

Its also better than A Link to the Past in every conceivable way, and wasn't even mentioned.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
QmunkE said:
Not even very well researched - Link's Awakening doesn't take place in Hyrule and predates Majora's Mask by about seven years...it's also a much better game.
Brian Tams said:
This game was the first to take us away from Hyrule and into the much darker Termina.
No. Nope, nada, nuh-uh, no. Link's Awakening was released well before Majora's Mask, and most definitely doesn't take place in Hyrule.

It takes place inside Link's head.

Its also better than A Link to the Past in every conceivable way, and wasn't even mentioned.
You guys beat me to the punch, glad to see other fans that are super quick to spot mistakes. I'm pretty sure they were just testing us.

OT: You don't have to do much research to see how much I love Link and Zelda games(look at the avatar and username), so I automatically can't complain about a feature like this. While I'm glad the Escapist wanted to honor Zelda's birthday, I would rather see an article talking about how the franchise is still relevant in 2014 and beyond.

The importance of a timeless group of silent, blank slate protagonists in a gameplay focused franchise in an age where character and story have become more important to gaming in general. That's the kind of article I would like to see someday.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The mention of Skyward Sword over the vast number of better titles brushed aside in this article invalidates it instantly. The rest of the reasons from the other users above are of no help either.

Oh, and here's 8 reasons why Castlevania is relevant after 20+ years too:
1) Castlevania
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Circle of the Moon
4) Harmony of Dissonance
5) Aria of Sorrow
6) Dawn of Sorrow
7) Portrait of Ruin
8) Order of Ecclesia

There, isn't Castlevania great?

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Signa said:
The mention of Skyward Sword over the vast number of better titles brushed aside in this article invalidates it instantly. The rest of the reasons from the other users above are of no help either.

1) Castlevania
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Circle of the Moon
4) Harmony of Dissonance
5) Aria of Sorrow
6) Dawn of Sorrow
7) Portrait of Ruin
8) Order of Ecclesia

How about

1)Fifa 2001
2)Fifa 2002
3)Fifa 2003
4)Fifa 2004
5)Fifa 2005
6)Fifa 2006
7)Fifa 2007
8)Fifa 2008

Does that make Fifa a great game as well :D

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
What is this hogwash? This isn't a list of reasons it's relevant. Did The Escapist really publish this? Why don't you guys just hire me, I'd kill for a job like this, and I'd take it more seriously.

Maybe we should have hawkeye52 or Signa write, they're clearly at least on par with this level of writing. They could probably do better work too.

Also, NES Zelda, apparently known for it's riveting story...?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
hawkeye52 said:
Signa said:

1) Castlevania
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Circle of the Moon
4) Harmony of Dissonance
5) Aria of Sorrow
6) Dawn of Sorrow
7) Portrait of Ruin
8) Order of Ecclesia

How about

1)Fifa 2001
2)Fifa 2002
3)Fifa 2003
4)Fifa 2004
5)Fifa 2005
6)Fifa 2006
7)Fifa 2007
8)Fifa 2008

Does that make Fifa a great game as well :D
Don't you DARE make me top that with a list of reasons why Call of Duty is great!

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Here, I took the liberty to write out 8 actual reasons why Zelda is still relevant today (aren't I a nice guy?).

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has an aggregate metacritic score of 91, and is being called one of the best games ever released on the 3DS to date.

2. Fan Projects like these
3. Past Zelda games are still being meaningfully discussed today (for example, discussions are still ongoing about the weird shit that occured in Majora's Mask).

4. On the subject of Majora's Mask, there's a large amount of fan demand for a Majora's Mask 3DS remake.

(okay, okay, I'll stop talking about Majora's Mask).

5. Borrowing from a point above, game series such as Darksiders borrow gameplay & dungeon elements from Zelda

6. The Internet lost its collective shit over the Hyrule Warriors Announcement

7. The fact that Hyrule Warriors is going to exist

8. The Master Sword is still one of the most iconic and recognizable symbols of gaming ever created. You'd be hard pressed to find a gamer who wouldn't recognize it at first glance.

There are some better points to be made, but I'll let others make them. The Legend of Zelda has left its mark on gaming, and continues to be a constant source of inspiration by gamers and game developers alike. To ignore those is just... ignorant.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
Brian Tams said:
Here, I took the liberty to write out 8 actual reasons why Zelda is still relevant today (aren't I a nice guy?).

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has an aggregate metacritic score of 91, and is being called one of the best games ever released on the 3DS to date.

2. Fan Projects like these
3. Past Zelda games are still being meaningfully discussed today (for example, discussions are still ongoing about the weird shit that occured in Majora's Mask).

4. On the subject of Majora's Mask, there's a large amount of fan demand for a Majora's Mask 3DS remake.

(okay, okay, I'll stop talking about Majora's Mask).

5. Borrowing from a point above, game series such as Darksiders borrow gameplay & dungeon elements from Zelda

6. The Internet lost its collective shit over the Hyrule Warriors Announcement

7. The fact that Hyrule Warriors is going to exist

8. The Master Sword is still one of the most iconic and recognizable symbols of gaming ever created. You'd be hard pressed to find a gamer who wouldn't recognize it at first glance.

There are some better points to be made, but I'll let others make them. The Legend of Zelda has left its mark on gaming, and continues to be a constant source of inspiration by gamers and game developers alike. To ignore those is just... ignorant.
I was tempted to do it myself, but I was too lazy. If I could upvote/like this post, I'd do it a million times. Thank you for giving us some real reasons!