Kojima: I'm Jealous I Didn't Think of Breaking Bad

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Kojima: I'm Jealous I Didn't Think of Breaking Bad

The Metal Gear Solid director said he would love to write a story with similar topics to the hit TV show, but it would be hard to get approval for it as a video game.

Apparently, the man behind Solid Snake wishes he had also thought of Walter White. In a lengthy interview with Game Informer that touched upon a wide variety of topics, Hideo Kojima said that he had recently started watching Breaking Bad, and while he's impressed with what he's seen he said he can't help but feel envious.

"I was very pissed off, because I wasn't the one to think of that story. That depressed me," he said. Kojima, who said he just got through the show's second season, said his feelings come in part from the fact that it would be very difficult to deal with the show's themes in his own medium. "The kind of topics they're handling in Breaking Bad, the way they express them and put them on screen, let's say I tried to create a game with similar topics and similar expressions, it would be hard to get approval in the company. The way these guys are putting the planning for this project and making it a commercial success - that's somewhere I feel very jealous as a creator."

Kojima also praised Alfonso Cuaron's recent movie Gravity, calling it a similar story that would be hard to get approved at his video game company. "Making something out of the ordinary, that you wouldn't think of or be able to do, and making that happen while making it a success. That's something that I can empathize with and I'm also very jealous of it as a creator," he told Game Informer.

The interview also touches upon story and gameplay information for the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Kojima said that the map for The Phantom Pain will be roughly 200 times larger than that of Ground Zeroes, and include multiple bases and outlying areas. Ground Zeroes, meanwhile, is limited to a small island.

One story from the interview that could have used more elaboration was Kojima's brief mention of his friendship with director Guillermo Del Toro. How did the Metal Gear creator and Pacific Rim director most recently spend their time together? By singing anime songs together at a karaoke night. Kojima said he would love to work together with Del Toro on a project some day.

Source: <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/21/hideo-kojima-the-full-interview.aspx?PostPageIndex=1>Game Informer

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Chaosritter said:
I'm not sure if I even wanna imagine Kojima's version of Breaking Bad...

Let's be honest: his stories are whack and illogical, and so are his characters. It would have been a great concept going to waste.
"Heisenberg, I can read your mind! I see you like Macross Plus and Malcom in the Middle! You play Fei Long in Street Fighter! La li lu le lo! Your drugs are laced with nanomachines, mixed with a psychoactive injection rendering your missing clone brother susceptible to a heart attack! Your drug money has helped fund the next war on terror: the Metal Gear Meths!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad he didn't. Breaking Bad was actually well-told and Kojima would ruin....

Chaosritter said:
I'm not sure if I even wanna imagine Kojima's version of Breaking Bad...

Let's be honest: his stories are whack and illogical, and so are his characters. It would have been a great concept going to waste.
Oh. Beat to the punch.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, because Breaking Bad really could have been a much better show if it had only been drowned in paramilitary doomsday schemes and homoerotic tension.

Trishbot said:
"Heisenberg, I can read your mind! I see you like Macross Plus and Malcom in the Middle! You play Fei Long in Street Fighter! La li lu le lo! Your drugs are laced with nanomachines, mixed with a psychoactive injection rendering your missing clone brother susceptible to a heart attack! Your drug money has helped fund the next war on terror: the Metal Gear Meths!"
You nailed it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
He complains about it being difficult to get something approved at his company (I'm guessing he means Konami here) so why doesn't he just move elsewhere and rely on his name to get a radical new project off the ground? He wouldn't be the first big name in the industry to start afresh to try new stuff.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I´d totally watch/play breaking bad as reimagined by hideo kojima, the amount of "wtf?" going on screen would be unreached.

I only ever played one metal gear game (part2) but lately i´ve been liking the guy more and more.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
hes just in the second season? how cute, id like to hear his thoughts on the seasons 4 and 5, thats when shit starts going down

Mr. Clarinet

Sep 20, 2012
Talking about the types of story ideas can and can't work in his part of the games industry is valid.
But "I wish I made Breaking Bad" Yeah? Get in line.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why doesn't Kojima just go make a movie or something already.
For a guy who makes story driven video games for a living he sure hates telling stories in games.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
He complains about it being difficult to get something approved at his company (I'm guessing he means Konami here) so why doesn't he just move elsewhere and rely on his name to get a radical new project off the ground? He wouldn't be the first big name in the industry to start afresh to try new stuff.
I know, if Konami is focused on more mainstream, family friendly games then he should look elsewhere. Everybody knows that Konami hates making dark, mature, story driven content. :p

Honestly, I think he's complaining for complainings sake. If he can't make something like Breaking Bad then that's his own fault. Besides, do we really need to see Hank running around in a thong and stockings (as part of his standard uniform, of course)? Do we need to see Walter Jr. become a Cyborg Ninja? Metal Gear has always been ridiculous, and Kojima is the worst person for this job.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Come to think of it, Jesse Pinkman is basically Walter White's Otacon.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Fox12 said:
CriticalMiss said:
I know, if Konami is focused on more mainstream, family friendly games then he should look elsewhere. Everybody knows that Konami hates making dark, mature, story driven content. :p

Honestly, I think he's complaining for complainings sake. If he can't make something like Breaking Bad then that's his own fault. Besides, do we really need to see Hank running around in a thong and stockings (as part of his standard uniform, of course)? Do we need to see Walter Jr. become a Cyborg Ninja? Metal Gear has always been ridiculous, and Kojima is the worst person for this job.
And Konami's totally kept that series at the same level of story quality and originality for the past decade... I mean, I don't even disagree with you, Kojima can probably get away with whatever the fuck he wants at this point, but your example is fucking terrible.

OT- I want Kojima to keep making silly games with occasional moments of pure genius mixed in. I have no doubt Kojima could make an incredible game about a meth dealer. I don't think he could make Breaking Bad though. Not really his style on the whole, far too subdued. His unending desire to work in some other medium really is misplaced though. The things he truly does best are things that only work in games. As much as people love to say that he should just go make a movie, I think that would be the worst idea ever.

And that bit about him singing anime songs with Del Toro is just the best thing ever.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
He's only on the second season, and he's praising the show? Envious? Man, the first two seasons are just terrible, falling asleep is a better way to describe them. It only really started picking up around season 3, and really only started being great at season 4. The first two are certainly necessary for the story and all, but man they should not be mentioned alongside the other seasons.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
After Reading this article, I feel like a Photoshop of Walter White's Head on Old Snake's Body NEEDS to exist! Could anybody else see something like a nanomachines subplot in Hideo Kojima's Breaking Bad, where Walter takes the needle in his neck to suppress bad nanomachines giving him cancer, so he does the shot to keep himself alive a little longer while selling drugs?

I can't tell if I just wrote fanfiction or not, but I don't give a shit, I'd buy Hideo Kojima's Breaking Bad.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Now he's just being a whiny brat. I like MGS, it's a great series with an awesome story and it's been very successful. I find it near impossible to believe that the creator whom has made Konami that much money and success would not green light another series to milk money out of. He's just being bitchy that he didn't come up with it.

Captcha: High horse - indeed I will stay on it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Revnak said:
Fox12 said:
CriticalMiss said:

And Konami's totally kept that series at the same level of story quality and originality for the past decade... I mean, I don't even disagree with you, Kojima can probably get away with whatever the fuck he wants at this point, but your example is fucking terrible.
Por Que? What does anything you just said have to do with Konamis willingness to make dark or edgy games? The Silent Hill games may not be as good as they were, but they never exactly stopped being dark. The idea that Konami is unwilling to make games centered around serious subject matter is fundamentally absurd, as they have historically been pretty open tp mature content, and still are today.