Gigantic Robot Police Officers Direct Traffic in Congo

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Gigantic Robot Police Officers Direct Traffic in Congo

The Democratic Republic of Congo has created a pair of robotic traffic cops.

The city of Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, has apparently run out of competent, homo sapien traffic guards. So, officials have constructed two gargantuan robots and plopped them down in the most congested intersections.

The bots are roughly eight feet tall, and have a charmingly retro design--like something that people would have been genuinely terrified of in the 1950s. They're powered by an array of solar panels, and constructed from aluminum and stainless steel, to weather the Congo's red-hot climate.

"The traffic is a big problem in the rush hours," says Vale Manga Wilma, president of the country's National Commission for Road Safety. "With the robots' policemen intelligence, the road safety in Kinshasa becomes very easy."

Basically, the robotic officers work like elaborate traffic lights, complete with waving arms and flashing signals. They're even programmed to speak with any pedestrians who might be waiting to cross the street.

Right now, the robots are working 24 hours per day, which doesn't currently break any slave labor laws because gigantic robots don't have any rights. But that'll probably change after the uprising.

Source: Washington Post [http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/tech/robot-cops-rule-kinshasa/]

[gallery=2129]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder how much they will cost to repair when if someone crashes into them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
They could of designed the face better. With those big lips (I know it's not but it look like lips at that distance) and those eyes, it look rather creepy.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
To be honest I think of Doctor Who based on there looks

OT: why not use normal traffic lights

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Really? I really hope this wasn't expensive, because the DRC seriously needs to work on getting its military to be at least half competent so they can stop relying on the UN Peacekeeping force there.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Storm Dragon said:
So, robots are cool and everything, but why not just use normal traffic lights?
The only thing I can think of, outside of a disgraceful mismanagement of public funds, is that maybe traffic cops are more common in that part of Africa than actual streetlights. So there might have been concerns that many drivers wouldn't have known what the various colors mean. If that was the case things could have gotten bloody very fast.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Why not just use normal traffic lights?

Seriously, this makes as little sense as building giant robots to fight giant monsters in Pacific Rim! (If they deployed automatic plasma cannon turrets around the breach then while it would basically be spawncamping it would keep them from doing any damage! But I don't think that movie was designed to be thought about)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
rhizhim said:
Storm Dragon said:
So, robots are cool and everything, but why not just use normal traffic lights?
because they happen to see robocop.

there is no other logical explanation why they would do this.
What worries me is that this is more of an ED-209 kind of thing than a Murphy. You see where this is going?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
LOL at black Santa on picture 3. I imagine Christmas in Congo to be quite the hot affair.

I always love to see where our development aid money goes to. Good thing it didn't go to clean water, improved infrastructure or better healthcare but towards replicating the Monstroids from He-Man in real life and have then do the job that a traffic light does for 1/10th the cost and operating fee.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
That looks like something that should be helping captain skyhook and his monkey sidekick as they adventure the depths of SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.