Deus Ex: The Fall Dumps Microtransactions For PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex: The Fall Dumps Microtransactions For PC

Deus Ex: The Fall has been dramatically optimized for the PC and will only set you back a tenner at launch.

Yesterday's report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132465-Report-Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Coming-to-Steam] that the previously tablet-exclusive Deus Ex: The Fall is on the way to the PC has been confirmed, as a full and proper entry for the game is now up on Steam. The game page also answers a number of questions that have been asked about the game and how it will handle the transition from mobile to desktop.

First and foremost, there will be no microtransactions: In-game purchase options have been removed and the game economy has been rebalanced to compensate. Auto-targeting has also been cut, the aiming reticule has been changed, cover options have been revised to match Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the AI has been tweaked. It will support mouse and keyboard control schemes as well as game controllers, and video options allowing the adjustment of resolution, anti-aliasing and Vsync settings have also been incorporated. On the Steam-specific side of the coin, Deus Ex: The Fall will offer trading cards, badges and 28 achievements.

[gallery=2132]

For those wondering if they have what it takes to run an iPad game on their PC, we also have system requirements:

Minimum:

Processor: 2GHz dual core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated audio interface

Recommended:

Processor: Quad Core 2.66GHz CPU Intel or AMD
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 500 Series or Radeon 7000 Series, 1 GB Graphics memory
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated audio interface

Deus Ex: The Fall will launch on Steam on March 25 and is available for pre-purchase now at a cost of $9.99, which includes a copy of Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition. That sounds not too shabby at all.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/258180/]

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
wait.... developers respecting the PC platform and actually porting games with PC in mind rather than just mindlessly ripping it from its initial console barebones and broken!?

I will miss you all, as the world apparently ends on March 25th.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
This seems a bit too good to be true. I mean... it's still a mobile game rather than the true Deus Ex sequel I was hoping for... but there's gotta be some kind of catch to the lack of micro transactions and PC optimizations, right?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
So basically the best port possible while at the same time no promise of a port to the other 5 platforms while only on Steam and nowhere else... yay I guess?.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sounds like they're sweetening the deal. That...almost never happens.
Were the tablet sales that bad?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
They might. Or they were THAT good that they wanted to reach the consumers they couldn't with an tablet-exclusive and hence went onto another, more important platform (possible THE platform for Deus Ex)

Mar 26, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Sounds like they're sweetening the deal. That...almost never happens.
Were the tablet sales that bad?
Good question! I bought it a couple of weeks ago and was thoroughly happy with it. I found I didn't even need to touch the microtransactions. You can manage fine without them.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Wow... A PC game that does NOT have microtransactions... and that had some actual research done for the PC port? Have I woken up in an alternate dimension or something?

EDIT: 9.99 USD?

Obligatory: http://gfycat.com/LikableYearlyGalapagostortoise

EDIT2: AND it comes with the original Deus Ex GOTY edition? The one currently selling for $6.99 by itself on steam?

I think this developer might actually still care about the PC!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
That's good...it would have been a pretty unpleasant surprise to see microtransactions attached to this

Tuesday Night Fever said:
This seems a bit too good to be true. I mean... it's still a mobile game rather than the true Deus Ex sequel I was hoping for... but there's gotta be some kind of catch to the lack of micro transactions and PC optimizations, right?
Maybe I'm being optimistic, but maybe the catch is simply that they want to make money on the PC market (by simply selling the game) while retaining their good reputation. Deus Ex HR didn't have microtransactions either...after all, while mobile gamers are used to paying extra for everything, PC gamers would throw a fit.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
how many copies of deus ex the first handed out for free with other deus ex games can be considered too many

the answer is never enough

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. only for me i have to wait till the 26th. well, its added to my wishlist. just dont care much for the first DX.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
snekadid said:
wait.... developers respecting the PC platform and actually porting games with PC in mind rather than just mindlessly ripping it from its initial console barebones and broken!?

I will miss you all, as the world apparently ends on March 25th.
Square Enix/Eidos Montreal is actually really amazing about PC support.
Thief, for instance, has absolutely FANTASTIC PC options/optimization.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well as mush as they might polish this mechanically the design of the game is unavoidable, and that design is AppStore... as in shit, sure it's marginally better then Cookie Clicker or staring at the stinking hobo on the train, but at home when you got a huge library of amazing games... I would call it far from worth your time not to mention money.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Auto-targeting has also been cut, cover options have been revised to match and video options allowing the adjustment of resolution, anti-aliasing and Vsync settings have also been incorporated.
So, then, basic settings we had on PC forever? its feels so strange to congratulate company for doing the status quo and so sad that so many others arent even managing that.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Good news, it is kind of bad that we cheer when a dev does not f**k us over but ether way its good news.

Good show old chap

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I was watching a Total Biscuit video the other day where he was saying "Square Enix loves the PC."

And you know I think he might be right.