In Honor of Harold Ramis, Burnout Paradise Lets You Race the Ecto-1 for Free

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
In Honor of Harold Ramis, Burnout Paradise Lets You Race the Ecto-1 for Free

For today only, Criterion makes the Legendary Cars pack free for Xbox 360 owners.

With the sudden passing of Harold Ramis last week, there's been an outpouring of appreciation for the comic genius all across the internet. In honor of Ramis, Criterion Games is making the Legendary Car Collection DLC for Burnout Paradise [a href=https://twitter.com/CriterionGames/statuses/438637814818033664]free today[/a] for the Xbox 360. The pack includes the Hunter Manhattan Spirit, which is a close as you can get to the Ecto-1 without an actual license agreement.

All the cars in the Legendary pack are from famous movies. For example, it includes the Jansen 88 Special, which looks like the converted Delorean from Back to the Future, and even features hover jets. There's the Hunter Cavalry Bootlegger, which resembles Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee, only with a Mexican flag on the roof. And yes, it's good at doing stunts. Finally there's the Carson GT Nighthawk, which is Knight Rider's KITT, but without the voice.

It's a nice freebie from Criterion and a good excuse to go back and play the six-year-old game again. Personally, Burnout Paradise has always been a solid standby game that's still absorbing, all these years later. While Criterion's official tweet only mentions the Xbox 360, it seems to be free at the moment for [a href=https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/burnout-paradise-legendary-cars-collection/cid=UP0006-BLUS30061_00-PS3ST_BPLEGENDAR?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pscom&utm_campaign=pscom-UP0006-BLUS30061_00-PS3ST_BPLEGENDAR&smcid=ps:burnout-paradise-legendary-cars-collection-ps3:up0006-blus30061_00-ps3st_bplegendar:ps-games-add-ons-burnout-paradise-legendary-cars-collection-ps3.html]PS3 users[/a] as well. However, those with a PC copy are out of luck, as the Burnout Store has been shut down for some time, rendering the DLC inaccessible. Hey, Criterion, Burnout Paradise 2? Eh?

Source: [a href=https://twitter.com/CriterionGames/statuses/438637814818033664]Twitter[/a]

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Really wish Criterion followed this up with a sequel game, game is still booming in multiplayer all these years later and is an immense amount of fun, couldn't count how many hours of hilarity I've had with that game.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If there's any game that I will remember last gen for, it's Burnout Paradise. The graphics were solid, it had this arcadey feel missing from racing simulators, and it was open world, with goals hidden in mountains, construction sites, up buildings, and other sections like a dirt track buried a bit off the beaten path. I played that game for weeks and weeks and still didn't unlock everything. A large majority of their vehicles, including the Hunter Manhattan Spirit were welcome homages to known brands without being fully copyright infringing. I hope Criterion releases a Burnout for the current gen, just to have their original staple introduced to new audiences with updated graphics and features.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Only if they add local multiplayer.

I remember trying to play a match of Road Rage with my sister and being dissapointed when the only local option was Party Mode.

DocImpossible452

Feb 19, 2014
This game was FANTASTIC

Is there anyway to get the Legendary Cars pack for Steam? I didn't see it in the store.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Awesome! I will have to go pick this up! I have never been a racing fan, but this is the only game that I have played (the demo) and got hooked and actually went out and bought it. My kids still play it today, as do I every now and then. Great game.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
It's sad that a great actor's dead, but it's nice to see small bits of appreciation like this going out to guys like Ramis.

It's a shame that any chance of a new Ghostbusters movie starring the original cast is, well, basically damn near gone now.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
This articles a little late isn't it, free day was on the 26th, this got posted on the 27th. It's really not all that useful to post about a free day the day after it happened.

Still good for them, its a nice gesture :)

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I kind of hope that they'll do another game along the lines of Burnout 3, where it was all glorious car crashy nonsense.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
RIP Harold, its nice to see a game developer honour him, even if it is in a way that does generate interest for their product.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
DocImpossible452 said:
This game was FANTASTIC

Is there anyway to get the Legendary Cars pack for Steam? I didn't see it in the store.
I thought I remember something about people buying it on Amazon. You should check the Steam forums though since I haven't played it in a while.