Heavy Metal TV Series Coming to SyFy

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Heavy Metal TV Series Coming to SyFy

SyFy has acquired the rights to the first two seasons of the French-produced, English-language series Metal Hurlant Chronicles.

Metal Hurlant, or Heavy Metal as its known in the United States, has been around for decades, accumulating a loyal fan following, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_%28film%29>inspiring films and, most recently, serving as the basis for the popular television series Metal Hurlant Chronicles. Up until now the show, which is filmed in English, has only been available in European markets. That said, a recent deal announced by SyFy will shortly be bringing it to the United States.

SyFy will begin airing the show in America beginning on April 4th. While time will have to tell how heavily the network pushes the series, which follows stand-alone stories connected to a mysterious asteroid, the deal gives the station the rights to the show's first two seasons. We'll also be interested to see whether or not the channel opts to keep the Metal Hurlant moniker. While we've yet to see any confirmation of any sort, we'd put our bets on SyFy switching the name to Heavy Metal which would probably be more familiar to American audiences.

All in all, it's hard to see this as anything other than good news for American viewers. Even if you know nothing about Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal, the acclaim it's earned and the actors involved in it should be enough to grab your attention. Past episodes, for instance, have included performances from John Rhys-Davies (The Lord of the Rings, Michael Biehn (The Terminator) and Rutger Hauer (Hobo With a Shotgun) among others. If nothing else, it never hurts to another stylish sci-fi series rocking around television.

Source: Variety

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
On one hand: Live action Heavy Metal...? That can be shown on basic cable? That seems wrong.

On the other, I looked up an online trailer, and the production values certainly seem good (at least on a level with Game of Thrones, possibly even a little better), and it's rounded up a heck of a cast (including James Marsters, Spike from Buffy. Glee!)

Guess it might be worth a shot. Part of me thinks that under these conditions, it couldn't possibly really feel like Heavy Metal as I've known it in the past, but that isn't to say it can't be good in its own right. And Heavy Metal itself has certainly created its share of sleazy mediocrity, especially in its cinematic incarnations.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Some nice B-List martial artists in this show. I just hope it's more than just flash. If there is no depth, it won't capture an American audience. We grew out of that stage back when Hercules and Xena were at their peak.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Even if "Hobo with a Shotgun" is a much more recent work, I'd wager more people (especially Sci-Fi fans) still know Rutger Hauer more from his brilliant turn in "Bladerunner".

Anyways this is cool. Don't have cable but if the reviews are good I might pick up a season or two on DVD.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
as Jack Black once said:
http://youtu.be/CLW2Z0ijIP0?t=25s

OT: It's very much not going to be the T&A&V-show the movie was, but I am actually excited by this.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, on the channel that forgot how to spell? Those poor, poor Europeans... It'll never work out.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I hope it's as good as the film. I'll get the soundtrack, if nothuing else.