The Order: 1886 Reveals Actual Gameplay Footage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Order: 1886 Reveals Actual Gameplay Footage

The Order: 1886 is an alternate-history shooter in which the Knights of the Round Table battle to save the world from supernatural threats in the late 19th century.

The Order: 1886 sounds like a fantastic idea, plopping the preternaturally long-lived descendants of King Arthur's Court into a steampunk Victorian-era London, where they must battle half-human, half-beast creatures who have humanity on the ropes. Making things worse, the lower classes have rebelled against the rich and the martial law they've imposed to keep order among the masses. The alternate-Earth setting blends old and new technology, bringing things like automatic weapons and wireless communications to the grim, grey aftermath of the Industrial Revolution.

It sounds great, yes, but it looks a little less than that based on the footage in this new trailer. The guns go boom and I love the outfits, but the actual gameplay looks like very stock, cover-based corridor shooting, interspersed with always-lovely quicktime events - and I can't say that the dialog ("I'm making it my business to find out!") really rocks my world either.

It is admittedly just a tiny slice of the pie, but it's reasonable to assume that Sony would want to put its best foot (or at least a pretty good one) forward in a gameplay reveal. This isn't bad by any stretch, but it's not really knocking my socks off, either.

The Order: 1886 comes out later this year, exclusively for the PlayStation 4.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkcOghYFHM]

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Kudos to the engine that they are using, but it just looks like another linear third-person cover shooter with far too many cutscenes and QTE's, so nothing really special here.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oo, pretty. And did I see reaction animation when a bullets bounces off the chest high wall your hiding behind? That's a step forward right?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's a bit too jumbled to really get a good idea of what the gameplay has to offer. Obviously shooting, but that could mean anything. Looks like kind of a rush job trailer.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Really doesn't look good. Linear cover-based shooter with QTEs? Who thought we needed more of those?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Yeah, not enough info to really make an informed decision, but I do like the drum magazine on that old timey, Lewis-looking, machine gun at the end.

Apr 28, 2008
Ok, that looks very pretty, but... eh. Looks like your standard cover-based shooter. Not too impressed.

luvd1 said:
Oo, pretty. And did I see reaction animation when a bullets bounces off the chest high wall your hiding behind? That's a step forward right?
Off the top of my head Gears of War and Uncharted had that. Uncharted even had Drake ducking and weaving when he was running and being shot at.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
As people have said, gameplay looks stock and the dialogue swung from hmmm to errgg but the setting and story may even things out and make it worth a buy.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Pretty. But actual gameplay?

Looked like cinematic after cinematic with quicktime events in between. Ok there were wide gaps in that trailer, but still, there was very little playing involved.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Is anybody actually surprised by it being rather run of the mill? Most games these days are, call of duty gets small mechwarriors and people lose their fucking shit over it.

Innovation is for indies, high production value for AAA, that is just the world we live in now.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm not going to judge it yet. If nothing else the gameplay feels really atmospheric so with the setting that's enough to keep me interested.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
ANOTHER Goddamn shooter? REALLY? Why not an action RPG? Welp, who's prepared for this thing to be wonderfully average?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The real question here is, "Does it have a bridge level?"

I'm serious, it seems like every other game these days is set in generic victorian fake England where everything is run-down and plagued by mysterious zombie-rat diseases, and all their artwork is starting to melt together in my head.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I do agree that the gameplay was less than amazing, but like others the setting is quite interesting. From the interview I saw last week ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfHUvthiwBI ) things don't sound too bad. For one thing the first E3 trailer I thought it would be a steam punk, squad, class based, 3rd person shooter. While not quite up to that standard it's still promising. I want to see more mysticism rather than industrial innovation. You're facing monsters, you'd think they'd have something magical. Maybe something along the lines of Bio Shock. As for the QTE looks like they're almost taking the Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls route. I might not pick it up on release date, but worth a rental if it's just a shooter.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Awkward cuts in the trailer they made. But hopefully this is better than it looks.

Mcoffey said:
How lame. I've already played Gears of War. I don't need to do it again in the 19th century.
Heh, Gears of War is clunky as heck. Gears of War wasn't a very good example of the cover based shooter, it was just an early AAA example of it.

We'll have to wait and see if this is as generic as it looks or if it manages a special air of its own given the world they've created.

Mar 26, 2008
luvd1 said:
Gears of War games have always had it. In fact in Gears 3 depending where the bullets hit the cover they'll react differently. I've seen Marcus put a hand over his head and hunker down more as if to say "shit that was close" on occasions.

inzesky

Oct 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The Order: 1886 is an alternate-history shooter in which the Knights of the Round Table battle to save the world from supernatural threats in the late 19th century.
Glad to see triple A titles finally exploring new storytelling avenues in the quest for pathos. They need to add some Nazis as well.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
The real question here is, "Does it have a bridge level?"

I'm serious, it seems like every other game these days is set in generic victorian fake England where everything is run-down and plagued by mysterious zombie-rat diseases, and all their artwork is starting to melt together in my head.
nah no bridge level

They will revive the sewer level and it will be so realistic that you can almost smell the sewer!