Ban Lifted on Doctor Who LEGO Sets

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Ban Lifted on Doctor Who LEGO Sets

Cuusoo users can now submit their Doctor Who-themed LEGO concepts.

When it comes to fans, it's probably safe to assume that a significant overlap exists between Doctor Who and LEGO. But the two have never been able to find an appropriate marriage, thanks to licensing restrictions. This week, however, LEGO updated its License Conflicts and Resolutions page [https://legocuusoo.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/325064-license-conflicts-and-resolutions], lifting the ban on Doctor Who-themed sets.

This doesn't necessarily mean that LEGO has plans to produce a series of Doctor Who minifigs, but Cuusoo users are now able to submit their Whovian concepts.

Cuusoo, for the uninitiated, is a website that allows fans to submit their own, unique LEGO ideas. After a proposal has been uploaded, the Cuusoo community votes on the concept. Any project that garners more than 10,000 supporters will be reviewed by staffers for its potential as a full-fledged LEGO product.

So far, Cuusoo has been responsible for producing the Apple Store play set [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126633-The-Official-Lego-DeLorean-Is-Finally-Here] that looks almost as pretentious as a real Apple store.

LEGO has been rejecting Doctor Who concepts since Cuusoo launched in 2008. But now that the ban has been lifted, fans are encouraged to resubmit their ideas.

Source: CNET [http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10142]

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
Great, now I can't get the image of a "Lego Doctor Who" game out of my head. >.<
Me want.

Given that Dr Who games have traditionally had a problem with gameplay due the shows whole non-violence philosophy, a Lego game would automatically be the greatest Dr Who game ever made. The series would also pass the Lego test of having enough memorable characters to make them worth collecting (unlike say the Lego Indiana Jones games).

Hell, lets face it, they could make four games, each one having missions for three different Doctors and I'd buy all four.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I wonder if this means Mega Bloks have lost, or are about to lose, exclusivity rights on the franchise.

I kind of hope they do, because I'd kill for some Doctor Who Lego sets.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
LaoJim said:
Hell, lets face it, they could make four games, each one having missions for three different Doctors and I'd buy all four.
What? And lose out on the joy of finding and unlocking each Doctor in the game, and then watching them all scamper around the TARDIS hub world? :p

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
LaoJim said:
Diablo1099 said:
Great, now I can't get the image of a "Lego Doctor Who" game out of my head. >.<
Me want.

Given that Dr Who games have traditionally had a problem with gameplay due the shows whole non-violence philosophy, a Lego game would automatically be the greatest Dr Who game ever made. The series would also pass the Lego test of having enough memorable characters to make them worth collecting (unlike say the Lego Indiana Jones games).

It's kinda funny because IIRC correctly, the first Lego Batman did actually have a Easter egg where could you build K-9.

Personally though, they should just make it really big and all the doctors be playable. :p

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Kmadden2004 said:
What? And lose out on the joy of finding and unlocking each Doctor in the game, and then watching them all scamper around the TARDIS hub world? :p
No, no, obviously all doctors would be playable in all games. Thats just the basic Lego philosophy. All I mean is that the first game would have missions and extra characters based on the Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee doctors etc.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
LaoJim said:
Kmadden2004 said:
No, no, obviously all doctors would be playable in all games. Thats just the basic Lego philosophy. All I mean is that the first game would have missions and extra characters based on the Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee doctors etc.
Phew, for a second there I thought you'd gone crazy. :)

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I wanna know... What exactly about the licensing conflict wording was changed that suddenly allows this. I just don't understand.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Lego and Doctor Who, to me, seem like a no brainer. This is a property that could cross over well with kids and adult collectors. Speaking of crossovers, who doesn't want to see The Doctor (take your pick on which version) team up with the likes of Batman, Ninjago, Harry Potter, and/or Spider-Man in the Lego universe? Plus, think of how cool to own Lego versions of The Doctor's companions, the Daleks, the Cybermen, Davros, The Master, and many other Doctor Who characters?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Hey, I'd buy a Lego Doctor Who set.

...Though the idea o a Lego Doctor Who game sounds pretty good too.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Blaze the Dragon said:
Damn, if only they had done this BEFORE the Lego Movie
Well, there is always the sequel. I vote that the two main companions in the next one should be Doctor Who and Batman. Then we can all die content.