Twitch Plays Pokemon Somehow Manages to Beat The Game - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Twitch Plays Pokemon Somehow Manages to Beat The Game - Update

Despite the trolls, anarchists, and just general confusion, Twitch Plays Pokemon has managed to finish Pokemon Red.

Update: And we're back! The stream has resumed, with the game changing from Pokemon Red to Pokemon Crystal, the third game in the Generation II trilogy. Totodile FTW!

Original Story: If you've been keeping an eye on Twitch Plays Pokemon [http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon], you'd know that somehow, despite thousands of players literally shouting random commands out at once, the game was actually progressing, and the team effort was gradually collecting badges. Now, despite all the odds, despite all the trolls, and despite all the anarchy, Twitch Plays Pokemon has managed to defeat the Elite Four and the Pokemon League Champion, thus completing Pokemon Red.

Zapdos, or "Battery Jesus" as the community has come to know him as, landed the final blow, defeating Blue and inducting the Twitch community into the Pokemon hall of fame. The final team included Zapdos, Pigeot, Venomoth, Nidoking, Lapras, and of course, our lord and savior, he who rose from the helix fossil: Omanyte. Currently, the stream is simply displaying a simple "The End" screen, promising a new adventure in 25 hours (at time of writing).

Twitch Plays Pokemon has been a wild ride, something that Twitch wants to see more of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132566-Twitch-Wants-to-See-More-Experiments-Like-Twitch-Plays-Pokemon], and quite the social experiment. If anything, it proves that a strong will to win can power through pure chaos and anarchy.

"It has delivered a huge and sustained audience for days on end and captivated the attention of the entire Twitch community," said Matthew DiPietro, VP of marketing at Twitch, in an interview with MCV earlier in the week [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/twitch-could-become-a-games-platform-in-its-own-right]. The success of "Twitch Plays Pokemon," and the millions of views it has garnered so far, has made the company consider if there is a future in a service that lets viewers from all over the world share control of a single game.

[twitch=twitchplayspokemon]

Source: Twitch Plays Pokemon [http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
But... but... how?

I loaded it up once, and it was 15 minutes of Red just going around in circles while constantly going into the options menu.

I don't understand.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I thought Pidgeot was Bird Jesus, and Zapdos was Battery Jesus/Anti-Air Jesus/Anarchy Jesus/The Archangel.

Next up with any luck, Crystal version with Red edited to have this team in Mt. Silver.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
No no no, Bird Jesus was Pidgeot, Zapdos was Alternate Jesus/Battery Jesus/Battery Bird/Archangel of Justifce/etc. He had a lot of names. >.>

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
RA92 said:
But... but... how?

I loaded it up once, and it was 15 minutes of Red just going around in circles while constantly going into the options menu.

I don't understand.
It's been running for over 300 hours, eventually with little nudging here and there from Democracy mode they were going to make it through by sheer luck. I'll be interested to see if the interest can be maintained during the sequel.

But yeah, the two posters above me are right, Pidegot is Bird Jesus, whilst Zapdos is Archangel of Justice / other names.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
the final battle was considerably less epic than i hoped it would be it mostly consisted of TPP trying and failing to switch out the low level venonat for zapdos while blastoise continued to use withdraw over and over once they succeeded it was over pretty quickly

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Couple of things wrong with the article: As others have pointed out, Bird Jesus was the Nickname of the Pidgeot, our longtime favourite, and second highest level pokemon. Zapdos has had a lot of names, including Battery/Anarchy Jesus, Judas and John the Zaptist. And the Holy Helix, the resurrected Helix fossil had evolved into Omastar from Omanyte.

And to those saying the final battle was anticlimactic... well that it was, but that was only because we'd just been grinding the Zapdos's level higher and higher, until it broke critical mass at 80, and was virtually untoutchable.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
It was a simple matter of time but I'm surprised it didn't take longer. You know what they have to do next though?

NUZLOCKE RUN!

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I happened to actually be there when it happened, which was like the second time I'd watched at all. It was pretty neat, if chaotic. I felt like I helped a little by tooting the democracy horn. ;) It took a bunch of tries at the elite four because of The Stupid. It was pretty cool to see it end, then it more or less crashed for a while, reloaded in pallet town but nothing worked, then the 'come back in 26 hours' screen. Let's see what happens next!

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
As others have said, Zapdos isn't Bird Jesus.

Anyway, I'm glad we did it, shame I was asleep when we actually won though. It was awesome when we managed to defeat Dragonite with just ATV.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
mistwolf said:
I happened to actually be there when it happened, which was like the second time I'd watched at all. It was pretty neat, if chaotic. I felt like I helped a little by tooting the democracy horn. ;)
Trust me, tooting democracy was not in any way 'helping'. :p Also, the game didn't 'crash' after winning. The stream creator stopped the inputs to set up the 'coming soon' screen since the game was over.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Not "Bird Jesus", its "Battery Jesus" if even that as he more often referred to as "John the Zaptist" or "The Archangel". How little googling do you guys put into some of these articles?

Alleged_Alec said:
I still think it's cheating they removed many of the block-pushing puzzles etc.
No puzzles were removed. I'd love to see a source for where you got that so I can laugh heartily at its falsehood.

EDIT: And the team included Omastar, the true form of our Lord Helix and Nidoking. There are at least 30,000 people on the internet right now who knew this, there are multiple links to information and summaries on reddit etc., what kind of journalism is this?

https://sites.google.com/site/twitchplayspokemonstatus/

I'm honestly laughing out loud here.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I guess that the souls of all the Pokémon killed by the pc are finally at rest.

I ended up going to sleep just before they finally defeated blue, i thought the final battle was very epic, blastoise almost managed to hit zapdos with blizzard but bird Jesus sand attacks saved the day.

The fact they pulled it off is proof that humanity still has hope, it?s also proof that the best video game stories are created by players not artists.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Zapdos is Bird Jesus 2: Electric Boogaloo. Pidgeot is the original. Some great comedy came out of TPP. Nothing is funnier than releasing 12 Pokemon at once, or using 'dig' while attempting to complete a dungeon.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
rasputin0009 said:
Zapdos is Bird Jesus 2: Electric Boogaloo. Pidgeot is the original. Some great comedy came out of TPP. Nothing is funnier than releasing 12 Pokemon at once, or using 'dig' while attempting to complete a dungeon.
You mean Bloody Sunday? I have no idea how they managed to release so many.