PS4 Sales Hit Over Six Million Units Sold Worldwide

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PS4 Sales Hit Over Six Million Units Sold Worldwide

Sony has announced that the PS4 has surpassed over six million units sold worldwide following the console's launch in Japan and other impressive stats.

Sony VP of Marketing - Home Consoles and Handhelds John Koller has announced that cumulative PlayStation 4 console sales have now surpassed over six million units worldwide following its launch in Japan last month. In addition to the impressive sales figure, Koller also shared a few other impressive PS4 stats. In the United States, more than 90% of PS4s are online, which translates to more than 3.6 million live broadcasts and more than 56 million spectate sessions on the PS4 through Twitch and Ustream. Going hand-in-hand with this figure, Koller shares that since January 1, PS4 users accounted for 20% of daily broadcasters on Twitch. The DualShock 4's "Share" button has seen its fair share of use, too, as there has been more than 100 million shares captured by gamers on Facebook and Twitter.

Koller also states that people will be able to share their "greatness" in new ways, as developers are beginning to take advantage of the PS4's interactive live broadcasting feature, which allow viewers to influence live-streamed gameplay. The exec cites the upcoming Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition for the console which will feature a built-in "Broadcast+" mode; where gamers will be able to stream their gameplay gameplay session while the viewers watching on either the PS4 or web browser will be able to influence "positive and negative" feedback effects during gameplay.

This certainly bodes well for Sony's PlayStation division. Unfortunately, we can't stack up how well the Xbox One is doing in comparison, since Microsoft has yet to release official sales figure in the past few months. However, according to the NPD Group's numbers, the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One nearly two-to-one in the US [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132268-PS4-Outsells-Xbox-One-by-Nearly-Two-to-One-in-the-US-Last-Month] -- at least based on last month's figures.

Should Microsoft be worried that Sony is pulling away in this next-gen console battle or will this change once Titanfall and the next Halo ships for the Xbox One?

Source: Official PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/03/ps4-hits-6-million-ushers-in-new-era-of-social-gameplay/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So for the first time in more than 10 years, we can make an "It prints money!" gif starring someone from Sony?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Remember when people were doubting that Sony could meet it's lofty '5 million console sold before the end of the year' and the discussion on which 'end of the year'it was, fiscal or Gregorian?

Well, if it was Fiscal then Sony just slammed that mother out of the park then proceeded to whale on the opposition with the bat.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think the PS4 has nearly overtaken the Wii U with this.

Still the gap over the Xbox One, whilst probably significant at this point, isn't Titanfall significant. Either one could be in the lead by next Christmas and the PS3 showed that you can overcome even being 5 million consoles behind at this stage in the game.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I know that titanfall will shift ones, Halo might get a few more through the door but I can't see microsoft coming back from this initial set back, from just 2 games. Look at 360 and PS3, 360 started the strongest and kind of stayed there ... I think PS3 only caught up 'cos it eventually had a library making it worthy to buy and people slowly saved up for it.

I think the same will happen to xbone, slow start and will slowly build up to be on par with PS4.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, they beat their March target of 5 million sales.

Good news that console gaming still appears to be alive.

The man says that 90% of PS4s are online. I wonder what percentage of game sales are digital, considering Sony announced that they made up 48% of total sales on the Vita. I imagine it isn't quite that high for consoles, but I wonder if it's also substantial.

As for Titanfall redeeming the Xbone: it's probably the kind of game that appeals to American audiences. It may be that Microsoft can take back their #1 position in the US. Very unlikely that it will get them close to Sony overall though.

Edit:

BrotherRool said:

Still the gap over the Xbox One, whilst probably significant at this point, isn't Titanfall significant. Either one could be in the lead by next Christmas and the PS3 showed that you can overcome even being 5 million consoles behind at this stage in the game.
Yes, according to VGChartz the PS4 overtook the Wii U during the week in which it launched in Japan.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Baffles my mind how people continue to buy consoles only to have them collect dust.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Will Titanfall bring the sale up for Xbox One? I don't think so, maybe.

Halo, yes because that already has a huge fan base. Reason why I said, "I don't think so" is because Titanfall is also on PC and a lot of people would rather get it on PC where it would run smoother and cheaper instead of buying a new gaming system for how ever plus $/£ it is. Whereas, Halo 5 will only be on Xbox One... unless they port it to PC also, one day, if ever.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
gigastar said:
So for the first time in more than 10 years, we can make an "It prints money!" gif starring someone from Sony?
You know, that's not a bad thing. Maybe Tretton, Hirai and Yoshida in it?

Caiphus said:
Well, they beat their March target of 5 million sales.

Good news that console gaming still appears to be alive.

The man says that 90% of PS4s are online. I wonder what percentage of game sales are digital, considering Sony announced that they made up 48% of total sales on the Vita. I imagine it isn't quite that high for consoles, but I wonder if it's also substantial.

As for Titanfall redeeming the Xbone: it's probably the kind of game that appeals to American audiences. It may be that Microsoft can take back their #1 position in the US. Very unlikely that it will get them close to Sony overall though.

Edit:

BrotherRool said:

Yes, according to VGChartz the PS4 overtook the Wii U during the week in which it launched in Japan.
Yep, I gather Sony has already surpassed Nintendo's Wii U LTD sales. Once we hit those fiscal reports, we'll know officially.

omega 616 said:
I know that titanfall will shift ones, Halo might get a few more through the door but I can't see microsoft coming back from this initial set back, from just 2 games. Look at 360 and PS3, 360 started the strongest and kind of stayed there ... I think PS3 only caught up 'cos it eventually had a library making it worthy to buy and people slowly saved up for it.

I think the same will happen to xbone, slow start and will slowly build up to be on par with PS4.
Important to note, though, MS doesn't have the luxury of Japan, nor that class A first-party lineup, which I attribute to the PS3 catching up with the Xbox 360. Time will tell, but it could literally be just one game that shifts the tide in MS' favor. Is it Titanfall? I honestly don't see it moving as much as MS has hoped.

Paradox SuXcess said:

Halo, yes because that already has a huge fan base. Reason why I said, "I don't think so" is because Titanfall is also on PC and a lot of people would rather get it on PC where it would run smoother and cheaper instead of buying a new gaming system for how ever plus $/£ it is. Whereas, Halo 5 will only be on Xbox One... unless they port it to PC also, one day, if ever.
Exactly. Also, Zampella has been adamant on Twitter that "ONLY" this Titanfall will be exclusive, which logic equates to Titanfall 2: Titan Harder hitting PlayStation platforms at some point.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Titanfall won't shift that many Xbones.

It'll run and look better on PC, it won't run or look much worse on 360, we already saw in the beta that Titanfall can't manage a consistent 60fps even at only slightly more than 720p on the Xbone. A beta a month before release day isn't a beta, it's a demo, much like BF4 it's representative of the game's release day form. It doesn't have the luxury of existing in a competition vacuum the way Halo and Halo 2 did a decade ago either.

The people who insist that players don't notice or care the technicalities of graphics will probably be proved right when Titanfall sells a truckload on 360 a couple weeks after the main release. Then Titanfall 2 will be on PS4 and it will be gorgeous...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The DualShock 4's "Share" button has seen its fair share of use, too, as there has been more than 100 million shares captured by gamers on Facebook and Twitter.
How many of those were accidental when people reached for the now extinct select button?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Hurray for Sony I guess, even though they're going to sell off quite a chunk of their divisions, still a small plus.

I'd imagine TF selling somewhat well, don't know about the Xbone sales since the game hasn't come out yet but it might be a system seller, I also honest'y don't see the point if saying which versions better since we should all know by now that a good chunk of people don't give a rats ass about that, save for those that are super graphical whores that is.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Paradox SuXcess said:

Halo, yes because that already has a huge fan base. Reason why I said, "I don't think so" is because Titanfall is also on PC and a lot of people would rather get it on PC where it would run smoother and cheaper instead of buying a new gaming system for how ever plus $/£ it is.
Or hell, even play on their 360 and not bother upgrading to Xbone.

It's baffling how MS keeps referring to it as a killer app.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I knew Japanese sells would be fairly significant. According to VGChartz, PS4 and Wii U were both at 5.8 million units sold as of February 22. I'm guessing this information is a little more up to date than that.

munx13 said:
Baffles my mind how people continue to buy consoles only to have them collect dust.
Infamous Second Son comes out in 17 days. PS+ has also given us plenty of great games for free including Resogun and Outlast. My PS4 was not collecting dust, nor will it be.

Alex Co said:
Paradox SuXcess said:

Exactly. Also, Zampella has been adamant on Twitter that "ONLY" this Titanfall will be exclusive, which logic equates to Titanfall 2: Titan Harder hitting PlayStation platforms at some point.
From my understanding, he was completely out of the loop on the PS4 Exclusion deal (let's call it what it is) and learned about it when we did. It seems that he was not happy to learn about it. And frankly, I don't blame the man. This really could hurt his game's sales by quite a bit.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
BrotherRool said:

It is ahead of the Wii U at this point. Kind of pathetic for the Wii U really.

And I'm not convinced Titanfall will result in the XBone closing the gap. They're still about 2.5 million behind the PS4 at least, are more expensive, and I still think a lot of informed gamers have no interest in buying one. We might see a slight bump in North America sales, but they're still selling almost nothing in the rest of the world while the PS4 is selling as much in Europe as in North America, and their Japanese sales are well above either of those markets. I just don't think the interest is there in the XBone or Titanfall to close that gap. In fact, I'd almost bet that many of the people interested in Titanfall already bought the XBone specifically for it.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
The Xbone is basically doing WiiU numbers, after losing so much inertia, even with a $100 price cut they would still be second place.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Vivi22 said:
BrotherRool said:

It is ahead of the Wii U at this point. Kind of pathetic for the Wii U really.

And I'm not convinced Titanfall will result in the XBone closing the gap. They're still about 2.5 million behind the PS4 at least, are more expensive, and I still think a lot of informed gamers have no interest in buying one. We might see a slight bump in North America sales, but they're still selling almost nothing in the rest of the world while the PS4 is selling as much in Europe as in North America, and their Japanese sales are well above either of those markets. I just don't think the interest is there in the XBone or Titanfall to close that gap. In fact, I'd almost bet that many of the people interested in Titanfall already bought the XBone specifically for it.
Microsoft have slashed the price quite aggressively in some regions. In the UK now an Xbox One with Titanfall is only 50 pounds more expensive than a PS4 with no games at all. (Although still not as cheap as a PS4 with inFamous: Second Son which is going to be amazing).

In Sony's traditional markets, I don't think Titanfall is likely to be a game changer. Sony has always been the more narrative/quirky focused console and it's audience has been happy with that. And inFamous is hopefully going to scratch that itch nicely, along with the nice indie lead. So most of Europe and definitely Japan are safe.

But I think Titanfall is going to be a swinging factor for people who had a 360 but might have changed their minds this time round. That's a shooter strong crowd and we're hitting the 'none of the new consoles have games' stage of the console cycle right now. A multiplayer shooter is a game that you can put hundreds of hours in and it's the sort of game you want your friends to buy so that you can play with them too. If it's as good as people make out, I think that's probably worth a million units in the US.

Also whilst the gaming community has been buzzing about TF forever and the people interested probably did already buy a console for it, the further away from us you go the more people you get who won't hear about how good it is (if it is good) until it's actually released