Titanfall Drops the Official Gameplay Launch Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Drops the Official Gameplay Launch Trailer

Stand by for the official Titanfall gameplay launch trailer!

It's not just a launch trailer, and it's not just a gameplay trailer - it's a gameplay launch trailer! Oh, but let's not quibble about semantics. Let's just take a moment to enjoy this Titanfall trailer, which while perhaps a tad melodramatic is still quite a bit of fun to watch.

It might be my imagination, but to my eye the overwrought dialog, slo-mo explosions, dramatic music, "Fight As One," acrobatic fast cuts and of course, bullets, explosions and people being unpleasant with one another as far as the eye can see are throwing off a powerful Call of Duty vibe. I'm no CoD veteran but I've seen a lot of trailers in my time and if I didn't know better I might think this was one for Call of Duty: Future Warfare or somesuch.

And yes, I know that the head guys at Respawn were the head guys at Infinity Ward so a certain degree of similarity isn't all that surprising, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all - in fact, I think it's looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Punching people in the face with a robot that's bigger than a house? Sign me up!

I am confused about one thing, though: If you're inside a giant fighting robot packing a gun the size of a Greyhound bus, why would you ever get out?

Titanfall launches on March 11 for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Because the "Giant Fighting Robots" have the endurance of paper by my understanding... it's basically like a short term "Super Mode", you get a lot of powerful weapons but you're an easy target and you have a giant weak point on your back where an enemy pilot can kill you pretty easily...also every pilot starts play with an Anti-Titan Weapon...

So yeah... why ever get out? Because you're probably going to have to.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Can you actually counter melee attacks from a titan when siting in a titan?

Pariah Dog

Sep 21, 2013
Find it kind of cute the opening to that trailer has the start of an actual plot which was lopped off in favor of pure multiplayer.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Eldritch Warlord said:
WashAran said:
I think that's actually just an "execution" animation.
Well in the trailer it looks like the the guy from whos point we are watching was about to be executed but he counterd ala bf4 if someone trys to melee you from the front.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Well that looks pretty sweet. Lets see what the reviews say about the rest of the game and if they're positive, I'll likely buy it next payday.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Pariah Dog said:
Find it kind of cute the opening to that trailer has the start of an actual plot which was lopped off in favor of pure multiplayer.
Yup, why bother with a decent single player mode when you know all your money will be made by the meathead Call of Duty base... even though I know a ton of people who are avoiding Titanfall because... well... multiplayer kinda sucks... at least for those of us who just want to play games not "master" them.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
PedroSteckecilo said:
Pariah Dog said:
Yup, why bother with a decent single player mode when you know all your money will be made by the meathead Call of Duty base... even though I know a ton of people who are avoiding Titanfall because... well... multiplayer kinda sucks... at least for those of us who just want to play games not "master" them.
Being a bit elitist, no?

I love a good story as much as the next person, and it's a damnned shame that Titanfall has no proper camapaign. That said, games like this have their place.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
An Ceannaire said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Pariah Dog said:
Being a bit elitist, no?

I love a good story as much as the next person, and it's a damnned shame that Titanfall has no proper camapaign. That said, games like this have their place.
I'm more worried that this will become the norm instead of the exception. I mean obviously competitive multiplayer shooters and the people who enjoy them or fine... but what about those of us who like shooters but hate multiplayer... the previous Gen was already starting to give us the shaft with "Tacked On Single Player" becoming a norm instead of "Tacked on Multiplayer".

Titanfall just draws a lot of my ire because it looks like it COULD have had a great singleplayer experience as well... but they decided not to add one because they didn't have to.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
No "Stanby for TrailerFall"?
C'mon am I the only one here trying to come up with terrible puns

Oh man so that's how the gameplay is!
Frantic, convoluted, messy and over before you know it, with a bunch of cutscenes eating up half the time!

Awesome!

I keep hearing good things about this game so barring any big issues on release I'll probably get it.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Let me know when Origin is dropped from the requirements and maybe I will be interested once again..

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Glaice said:
Let me know when Origin is dropped from the requirements and maybe I will be interested once again..
I doubt that will ever happen and honestly I don't see the need as there's nothing wrong with origin.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Pariah Dog said:
They should've lopped it off before they opened their mouths. Pretty much every single word said or written was a massive cliche.

Gameplay looks nice though.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I would say wait and see, Respawn have said they wanted to try a new way of adding a story but to multiplayer, instead of a generic MP and a SP campaign with the story.
I think some of you may be thinking it is a generic MP with only a ghost of a story, but its possible that it could be a interesting story with MP instead.

Personally I prefer either a focus on Single Player and Story, no MP or full MP and no Single Player as its usually the case one will be 'tacked' on in favour of the other so Titanfall's focus on MP is actually a good thing, and IF they can pull of the Story in the MP game as they promised... bargain.

The beta did show a ghost of a idea in the way they implemented the evacuate / pursuit and destroy ends to the battles... if your team won you had to hunt, if you lost you had to evacuate.
Makes you wonder what else can be done to slip in some story while you battle away... who knows it may turn out better than the current crop of linear progression SP campaigns with all the impressive bits in the cut scenes / rail sections.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
WashAran said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
WashAran said:
I think that's actually just an "execution" animation.
Well in the trailer it looks like the the guy from whos point we are watching was about to be executed but he counterd ala bf4 if someone trys to melee you from the front.
It's hard to tell in this trailer (see the Ogre Reveal trailer for a better view) but the titan whose punch is caught looks doomed (ie heavily damaged and about to explode). A titan could only execute another titan that was doomed in the beta.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Because the "Giant Fighting Robots" have the endurance of paper by my understanding... it's basically like a short term "Super Mode", you get a lot of powerful weapons but you're an easy target and you have a giant weak point on your back where an enemy pilot can kill you pretty easily...also every pilot starts play with an Anti-Titan Weapon...

So yeah... why ever get out? Because you're probably going to have to.
If you are careless, yeah. Titans can go down pretty quick. You need to be strategic when calling a titan. Also, you need to make sure you don't move into a situation where you are cornered from multiple angles.

In pilot mode you have anti-titan weapons, yes. But these are mostly effective at annoying a titan that's preoccupied with something else. Also, yes, pilots can rodeo Titans and do massive damage fairly quickly, but in order to do that they need to be in a position to jump on top of it. Titans move a lot quicker on the ground than pilots do, and if they take one step in the right direction the pilot turns to mush. Also, there are counter measures you can equip to your titan that will damage and kill anyone that manages to climb on top.

I was in the beta, and while I had times when my Titan was destroyed within the first minute of calling it, I had other matches where I managed to keep the same Titan alive for almost all of the match. I feel like it was fairly balanced, to be honest. And there was only one kind of titan in that version, there's bound to be tougher and/or more mobile models in the full game.