Batman: Arkham Knight's Titular Knight Is Not Actually Batman

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012

Batman: Arkham Knight does feature the Dark Knight himself, but the title refers to a different Gotham crusader.

With today's announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132651-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Set-for-2014-Release-on-PS4-Xbox-One-PC] that Rocksteady is returning to finish the Arkham series with Batman: Arkham Knight, there's been a lot of (very understandable) excitement. The game's title, however, is admittedly odd. We're clearly not using the "Arkham [Location]" naming scheme anymore, but this sounds like an executive just mashed the Arkham brand with the Dark Knight movies and called it a day. As it turns out, there's a surprising twist behind the name: there will be a Knight of Arkham, but it's not Batman.

According to game director Sefton Hill, the Arkham Knight is an entirely new character created by Rocksteady and DC for the game. Batman: Arkham Knight is set to feature a strong cast of (at least) Scarecrow, Two-Face, Penguin, and Harley Quinn, but the Knight himself will probably play a significant role as a sort of anti-Batman. Hill says this new villain is a "formidable foe" for Bruce Wayne, able to "really challenge Batman to go head to head with him in lots of different ways."

Creating a new villain from scratch probably isn't the worst idea. Arkham Origins was really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for interesting enemies, and it even had the advantage of being a prequel. Arkham Knight will take place about a year after the events of Arkham City, meaning a lot of Batman's adversaries are off the table. We haven't had a chance to see the Arkham Knight himself in action, but here's hoping for a good antagonist - the villains will make or break Batman's final adventure.

Source: IGN [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/batman-arkham-knight-what-does-the-name-mean.aspx]

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
On the one hand, I'm excited for a new character.

On the other, I'm kinda bummed because my first assumption upon seeing the headline was that the Arkham city side-quest with Azrael might be about to actually go somewhere, but apparently not.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Woohoo! Alright! We'll finally figure out what that cryptic mission that involved Azarel meant after he mentioned the order of St. Du-

According to game director Sefton Hill, the Arkham Knight is an entirely new character created by Rocksteady and DC for the game. Batman: Arkham Knight is set to feature a strong cast of (at least) Scarecrow, Two-Face, Penguin, and Harley Quinn, but the Knight himself will probably play a significant role as a sort of anti-Batman. Hill says this new villain is a "formidable foe" for Bruce Wayne, able to "really challenge Batman to go head to head with him in lots of different ways."
*sigh* I guess I can dream.

Still, having only heard about this today via this article (I didn't even read the other one earlier today), my money is the Order of St. Dumas [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Order_of_Saint_Dumas] playing a big role. Batman was totally unaware of the organization in Arkham City, which means a good opportunity to integrate the investigation mechanics that started in Arkham Asylum and got more fleshed out in Arkham city and much fleshed out in Arkham Origins.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
"...but the Knight himself will probably play a significant role as a sort of anti-Batman. "

Ummm, WHY can't this be Prometheus instead of making up a new character?

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
gentlemanghost said:
Ummm, WHY can't this be Prometheus instead of making up a new character?
Probably so they can dramatically reveal him/her to be an already-established character from the series. Or so that they can do whatever the hell they want with the Knight without having to worry about fans screaming about character betrayal.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
It's Robin isn't it?

Considering there a number of these characters already (Killer Moth, Azrael, Prometheus) I don't see the need for creating another one. Mind you I'm not a fan of this series so anything that happened from about halfway through Asylum is a mystery. All that dreary combat, and in particular the 'roided up boss fights, get in the way of some very satisfying stealth. A shame.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
On the one hand, I'm excited for a new character.

On the other, I'm kinda bummed because my first assumption upon seeing the headline was that the Arkham city side-quest with Azrael might be about to actually go somewhere, but apparently not.
It's not dead yet. Azrael just said that Arkham would burn. That's very vague, and I'm certain they can work him into the game easily. Perhaps this new character is part of the same order that Azrael is, and that's how Azrael knows about him.

Please don't just make him the anti-Batman. If you are going to make a whole new character, make a good one, not a rehash of a good guy, but evil.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
$50 says it turns out to be a preexisting character. Possibly Azrael or Prometheus.
Or they could just say "fuck it!" and make it The Joker again...

Jamie Jones 7

Apr 7, 2010
Azrael's prophecy is most certainly going to play a big role in Arkham Knight.

Azrael said that Batman would "close the gates of Hell". Guess what the logo on the back of the generic goons says in the CG trailer? Yep, that's right, "Hell's Gates".

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
It's the Joker isn't it? Can we just let him rot in peace at the bottom of a waterfall or something already?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
CrazyBlaze said:
It's the Joker isn't it? Can we just let him rot in peace at the bottom of a waterfall or something already?
If there is one rule in DC about the Joker, then it's "you can't kill him". Unless you're Batman Beyond. Then you can kill him twice in the same movie (as well as giving him a verbal beat down)

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
You know, Like everybody else, I was kinda excited reading that title, thinking wowee, follow-up on the Azazel plotline confirmed? a game starring Prometheus? Hush maybe? he's still out there with Bruce Wayne's face isn't he?"

But nope. Then I keep reading and find out that it's just some OC Rocksteady made, like as if this is now just a big budget fanfiction. However, if the made-up villain is named "Bebop" I will take back any criticisms I make and buy that game faster than you can say "He's a radical Bat"

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
*starts chanting Red Hood, Red Hood, Red Hood, Red Hood* Seriously, we got Nightwing and Tim Drake, why can't we have the Red Hood? But that aside, this should be good. I mean, this brand new villain is the game's titular character.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'll be honest, that article confused me for a minute. the important detail is not that you don't play as batman, or that he's not in the game, just that he is not the 'arkham knight'. first time reading through i did not get that, and assumed it meant you were playing as somebody else

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Come on, Jason Todd as the Red Hood!
Though they could do Azrael as well, but given how much killing the Joker meant to Jason in the Animated Film, I'd reckon he'd show up just because of it.

Just hope they get all the Development time they need, Origins was buggy as fuck

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really dont see it being Joker because in no can he be called Knight, maybe Red Hood since from most characters mentioned here thats the only one I know and could consider a knight, a new character could still be cool but it could also be terrible

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
malevolentcafe said:
It's not Batman? Well I'm placing my bets all on Hush.
It won't be him but i'm sure he'll cause nothing but trouble while Bruce is Bat's.
Either it'll be a side mission or maybe one of his wards can take over that mission?