Tropico 5 Gets Its First Gameplay Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tropico 5 Gets Its First Gameplay Trailer

Tropico 5 lets you take your tropical island from 1800 all the way to the near-future.

We've heard quite a bit about Tropico 5 so far, and it recently opened sign-ups for its beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132533-Tropico-5-Beta-Sign-ups-Open], but until now we haven't actually seen any in-game footage of what the new game will look like. Kalypso Media has just released a new trailer, which you can see to the right, showing off the first gameplay footage from the game.

In Tropico 5 you will be facing an all-new set of challenges, including advanced trading mechanics, technology and scientific research and for the first time in Tropico history -- cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to 4 players.

The most notable thing veterans will probably notice from the trailer is the graphical upgrade from Tropico 4. Especially on the micro level, everything looks much more detailed than the game's predecessor. It also showed how the buildings and citizens would change as the game progressed from 1800 to 2028.

Curiously, the much-touted new multiplayer aspect did not seem to feature in the trailer.

The game is being developed for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 4, and is due out in stores this summer.

Source: Kalypso [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=938yiqvaTTM]

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Quite right El Presidente. Always a Presidente indeed.

I am so looking forward to this! I play tropico 4 again and again with just a few months break inbetween. It is such a fun experience. Great humor, great mechanics, great everything!

Hyyyype~

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
I liked Tropico 3 (the only one of the series I played so far), but I heard bad things about Tropico 4 (basically, that it was more or less the same game, with just a few new features tacked on). Has anyone heard anything substantial about Tropico 5?

Also, if we call this a "gameplay" trailer, then this world is doomed. I mean, it's not an action game, so it can be hard to put together something visually interesting, but in this kind of game you'd expect they would want to showcase improvements of the UI, new buildings and how they function, new abilities and traits for El Presidente, and so on and so for, this is barely a glance at their graphic engine, at best.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
can't wait. I loved Tropico 4 (I have all the DLC... can't believe I got that)

I shall very much be looking forward to this - and I pray to the dark gods of game development, that they fix the lazy construction workers! That was always my greatest pet peeve about Tropico

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Never fear! El presidente is here!

Looking forward to this one, looks like an actually sequel than the 3 to 4 transition that was just an standalone expansion.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
- Go from 1800-far future.

- Have bigger buildings, bigger island (presumably). Fog of war.

- Native tribes are now on the island. Instead of previous games where they just "disappeared" before you got there.

- Coop.

- Have more influence on how you interact with the outside world.

- Research technologies that keep you in line with other nations.

- You now have a family line, and now can die of old age. Every family member is on your island, and can take part in politics.

And that's all we know so far.
Thanks! It sounds like they are adding some interesting elements, I might check it out when it gets released.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love the Tropico series! Hopefully this one is good :)
I'm pretty excited about the extended timeframe!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Finally! A decent city builder! After the train wreck of Simcity (especially with my spotty internet) I've been dying for something new. One can only replay Tropico 4 and Anno 2070 so many times before getting bored.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I hope they bring back as much music as possible AND got some new stuff as well. Rarely if ever has music made a game so enjoyable, simply by being enjoyable music on it's own.

Of course the gameplay is also solid and it's always fun to see exactly how badly you can treat your citizens and still keep in power. I'll be looking forward to this one and hoping they added lots of new stuff and by what you can see from the trailer they at least expanded the old options.

kajinking said:
Finally! A decent city builder! After the train wreck of Simcity (especially with my spotty internet) I've been dying for something new. One can only replay Tropico 4 and Anno 2070 so many times before getting bored.
Why not play some Banished?

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Hey, at least it looks like a different game than the previous one. I'm still trying to find differences between Tropico 3 and 4.