Introducing the Escapist News Channel!

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Introducing the Escapist News Channel!

The Escapist has a new place for you to get all the latest and greatest gaming news!

We here at The Escapist are proud to announce the launch of our brand new Youtube channel, Escapist News [http://www.youtube.com/user/ClevverGames]!

This new home of editorial video content will be your go-to source for the latest episodes of Escapist News Now, hosted by our own Andrea Rene. It will also feature our video reviews, previews, and exclusive coverage from major gaming conventions like E3, PAX and more.

Click here [http://www.youtube.com/user/ClevverGames?sub_confirmation=1] to subscribe!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
WMDogma said:
I feel like you're asking for trouble, getting involved directly with Youtube, but if TotalBiscuit can handle 'em...

Any particular reason why it's not an Escapist video on-site?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I feel like you're asking for trouble, getting involved directly with Youtube, but if TotalBiscuit can handle 'em...

While I'm definitely one of the first ones who hates YouTube's policies, what with me doing LPs and everything, but I can understand why the channel is on YouTube. YouTube, despite all the faults and hate it gets from layout changes, is still the most popular site for streaming videos. Google pretty much has no competition at all when it comes to their site, with smaller sites like Dailymotion and Veoh wishing they'd get even half of the amount of traffic YouTube gets in a single hour.

Over time I've also learned that when it comes to their shitty policies on Fair Use and everything, it's not as much their fault as it is how messed up copyright laws are now, thanks Walt Disney Company. Although YouTube and Google still are guilty of making it possible for all these false claims to go on, but at this point they can piss off as many people as they want and it still won't affect them because they are still getting massive amounts of cash from people on YouTube watching the ads.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
bring back ENN that was the best news show ever!I am referring to the escapist news network with the loading ready run crew

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
O maestre said:
bring back ENN that was the best news show ever!I am referring to the escapist news network with the loading ready run crew
Fun fact! That still happens every week, it's just called Checkpoint now. The most recent season (Which is being done live because reasons) can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV_qemO0oatjz_dCrY5b_2KbozOEU3iJF

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
rhizhim said:
Thank you, Tony Jay.

Neronium said:
Ah, well the thing is...yes, Youtube is still the Hub, but like...they host their own videos here. This is THE PLACE for Zero Punctuation, for instance, and everyone knows it.

I have to ask both of you: IS it easier? When they have their own tools and talent on this site without having to work with a new set of people and operations and rules? 'Tis why I asked the OP. I feel the Escapist's personal opinion on the matter should be known.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I have to ask both of you: IS it easier? When they have their own tools and talent on this site without having to work with a new set of people and operations and rules? 'Tis why I asked the OP. I feel the Escapist's personal opinion on the matter should be known.
I will admit that YouTube's uploader is definitely very simple to use and gets the videos up just fine. If the video doesn't look right or anything, it's more or less an issue on your end rather than YouTube's. Well unless you were say uploading something that's 60 FPS, because YouTube doesn't support 60 FPS and will scale the video down to 30 FPS instead.

When it comes to the rules, really I don't think the Escapist will be targeted since they are owned by Alloy Entertainment, which in turn owns Smosh so in a sense that channel is a verified partner when it comes to YouTube, so they won't have to deal with the bs as much.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Neronium said:
I've noticed alot of scaling down at Youtube lately. Apart from everything else wrong, it's often set at 144p.
My auto default is at 360p. Usually when the site does that it means something's borked on YouTube's end. Try disabling the auto-quality option and it should work better then. Believe me, when YouTube added 144p it screwed up a bunch of stuff. Videos that were once in 360p dropped to 240p which was a pain.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Falterfire said:
O maestre said:
Fun fact! That still happens every week, it's just called Checkpoint now. The most recent season (Which is being done live because reasons) can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV_qemO0oatjz_dCrY5b_2KbozOEU3iJF
I know that, but penny arcade has just discontinued the series, along with extra credits so both shows are looking for a new home.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So this is the same content reuploaded to youtube. Wont be watching. The reason i use this site instead of youtube to watch the videos (despite much higher video quality on youtube btw) is particullary to avoid youtube where/when i can. I also always liked the escapist player more even if it lacks youtube features. SO ill continue watching it on this site.

FalloutJack said:

But all other Escapist shows are already on youtube, so this is nothing new they are getting involved with. Merely a "daughter channel".

FalloutJack said:
This is THE PLACE for Zero Punctuation, for instance, and everyone knows it.
Its scary how much this is true. I once forgot the direct adress of the site and needed to acess it from a computer that didnt have it in history. so i entered "The escapist" into google. the first result was actually the zero punctuation videos and only the second one was the main site. so google indexes zero punctuation that high that it even overshoots direct title frontpage.

FalloutJack said:
I've noticed alot of scaling down at Youtube lately. Apart from everything else wrong, it's often set at 144p.
which is why you use plugins like "youtubeHD" that automatically forces youtube to display videos at your chosen resolution (or highest available if your choice is above video choices). it also has few other settings that are kinky (such as windowed mode fullscreen)