Kim Soo Hyun Joins Avengers 2 Cast in "Substantial" Role

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Kim Soo Hyun Joins Avengers 2 Cast in "Substantial" Role

Disney Korea representatives officially confirmed that Korean actress Kim Soo Hyun has joined the cast of The Avengers: Age of Ultron in a supporting role.

Korean actress Kim Soo Hyun (Claudia Kim) confirmed her casting in The Avengers: Age of Ultron translated by DramaFever [https://twitter.com/ClaudiaSKim/status/441066287196688384]) confirmed the casting.

Kim Soo Hyun's role in the film has yet to be announced. Film officials told OSEN, "It would be a spoiler, so we can't tell you which character Kim Soo Hyun will play. Marvel always prohibits telling too much about the story." Rumors prior to the official announcement speculated that Kim Soo Hyun would be playing a doctor with ties to Ultron and Tony Stark. "Her character is already decided and the scene is already written so we cast Kim Soo Hyun, but we can't let you know about her character," say the film officials. "We only can say that her character is a substantial supporting role."

Kim Soo Hyun's previous acting work includes several Korean television dramas, but The Avengers: Age of Ultron will be her first film. Marvel's The Avengers performed extremely well worldwide, with the James Spader [http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm] as Ultron himself. The Avengers: Age of Ultron is set to premiere May 1, 2015.

Source: ComicBookMovies.com [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=95658]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
She's also known as "Claudia Kim", which is good to know because if you search for "Kim Soo Hyun" you're going to see a whole lot of a different actor of the same name...

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
How is this news worthy? From quickly reading that, all I can gather is some korean tv celeb who has been in a few dramas is now a supporting role for Tony Stark ... annnnd ....?

She seems to be a nobody playing a small part in a huge movie, next will be news of who will be playing the extra's.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
She could be Morgan le Fay, assuming the movie is borrowing stuff from the comic series of the same name, would also explain why shield recruits Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch this time around. Bring a witch to fight a witch.

I don't see her being on the Avenger side, they have too many Heroes and support staff already.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Huh, that's not something I expected to see on the news. The Avengers is pretty damn popular in Korea so this choice wouldn't be unheard of but it just kinda came out of nowhere.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
It would be interesting if she was Wasp. That would make her the third character who would be changed since they can't mention Mutants.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Likely candidates for her to be?

Dr. Su Yin - And ex of Tony Starks. Unlikely. Not a "major" character. She helped Stark after a spinal injury.

Rumiko Fujikawa - MAJOR Iron Man character. Far less so and no real reason to be anywhere near Avengers. Her family bought out Stark at one point. She was a major girlfriend for a good chunk of the 90's.

Justine Hammer - The Crimson Cowl. Justin Hammers wife. While various incarnations of the Crimson Cowl have Avengers history, does not seem a good fit.

Sasha Hammer - Daughter of Justin Hammer (well actually the Mandarin), Girlfriend of Ezekiel Stane (son of Obediah Stane the Iron Monger). Pretty much dead on perfect for what the actress looks like. A real twisted villainess. Lots of potential. Good possibility.

Madame Masque - Courtney Frost. Major villain but not seeing it.

Madame Hydra - Could be in some way paired or attached to Baron Strucker. meh!

And on the possibility that she is one of the known named costumed good guys?

Spider Woman - Jessica Drew. Could be cool. She has the dark slightly exotic thing going on. Doesnt match the "doctor" bit but that may be wrong. Major Avenger.

Mantis - Vietnamese Martial Artist. Celestial Madonna. Ties into Marvel Cosmic and Guardians of the Galaxy big time. Not so much an Ultron thing, but would work as part of the Thanos setup for phase 3.

Jocasta - a female robot built by Ultron who sides with the Avengers. tends to have a thing for the Vision and Hank Pym at times. Tends to get destroyed a lot.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
faefrost said:
Likely candidates for her to be?

Spider Woman - Jessica Drew. Could be cool. She has the dark slightly exotic thing going on. Doesnt match the "doctor" bit but that may be wrong. Major Avenger.
Good. Glad I wasn't completely crazy in hoping that she would be Spider Woman. I highly doubt that will be the case, as the screen is going to be very crowded with good guys it seems, but I can dream...

I'm curious to see who she'll be playing, and how revealing that character is a major spoiler for the story. She must be big in it.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm sorry, is this woman really famous or something? It seems a little out of the blue to make this a news story :S

But good for her, I guess!

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Yay asian eye candy~ Seriously I hope she gets some decent screen time, Black Widow doesnt' do it for me. xD

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know I do suddenly wonder if all the people cast in the Marvel Universe are fans of said universe. So far the casting has been superb, bordering of pure perfection, but I'm not sure how many of those cast are fans. It would help explain some things, though.

Anyway, I'm now curious who she will be playing. Reading some of the other comments, it seems there could be tons of possibilities (Spider Woman really catches my eye) and I don't know what I would want her to play. Time will tell, but it's a real cruel mistress.

Welcome to the Marvel Family!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Got to be wasp. I think Wasp was in Ultimates because the artist loved drawing naked asian chicks.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
bjj hero said:
Got to be wasp. I think Wasp was in Ultimates because the artist loved drawing naked asian chicks.
The problem with that is there are some pretty solid rumors and reports that Wasp is already cast in the Ant Man movie, and she will be Evangeline Lily. ( in the new cinematic take supposedly she will be Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) daughter.) we know Joss Wheedon had Wasp all cooked up and ready to go for Avengers, if Scarlett Johansen didn't return as Black Widow. And Joss never easily gives up on a character or idea once he settles on it. But I don't think that's who she is.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
bjj hero said:
Pretty much. Man, Ultimates really sucked, didn't it?

OT: I'm aiming for Madame Viper for the Strucker association. Wasp seems unlikely, since A) they already have a LOT of heroes in this movie and B) no Ant-Man.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Disney knows their audience:

Young white comic book nerds with a thing for asian women.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
faefrost said:
The problem with that is there are some pretty solid rumors and reports that Wasp is already cast in the Ant Man movie, and she will be Evangeline Lily. ( in the new cinematic take supposedly she will be Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) daughter.
I guess that cuts all of the less than Disney domestic violence story lines then eh?

bigfatcarp93 said:

OT: I'm aiming for Madame Viper for the Strucker association. Wasp seems unlikely, since A) they already have a LOT of heroes in this movie and B) no Ant-Man.
Could we not Have Hank Pym as a giant though? I actually really liked The Hulk in Ultimates more than in any other story.

I cannot wait for this movie.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
bjj hero said:

The only reason I am betting against Viper is she was used by Fox recently (used rather badly I might add) in The Wolverine. Marvel doubled up Quicksilver accidentally, but I don't think they want any other direct character comparisons or confusion with the X-Men movies. Plus if Fox is using her in Wolverine than she may be considered tied to the X-Men or specifically Wolverine license.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
bjj hero said:
Could we not Have Hank Pym as a giant though? I actually really liked The Hulk in Ultimates more than in any other story.

I cannot wait for this movie.
I'm sorry? You liked Hulk most as a cannibalistic rapist?