Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dark Souls II Review - Dark Souls Refined

Dark Souls II is Dark Souls refined.

Read Full Article

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Out March 11, but they kinda got the wrong month in the review.

Edit: Now fixed.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Despite being a fan of Dark Souls, I haven't been following this too closely, so a lot of things will probably come as a surprise as I play it. I just want to know how consistent is the frame-rate in this one? At times, the original, particularly in Blighttown got pretty bad. The most interesting thing to me about this one is that it looked like the enemy have some more varied AI going on.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Glad to hear the game is just as good if not better than the original. Now to wait a month for the PC version...

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I read the entire article, even to the point of noticing this-

Lore junkies of Dark Souls will certainly get a kick out of tracking down the spiderweb of in-game information and trying to piece it all together.
I saw what you did there. I saw it! Don't lie, it was purposely stated because it relates to the Chaos Covenant and my favorite Lady.
I noticed that too. That makes me extremely excited since Chaos Servants is my covenant of choice :D

OT: Good review, my level of hype is only increasing the more I hear about this game. April 25th can't come soon enough!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
So the PVP is forced no matter what you do? Ehhh, that killed Aion for me. I was thinking of picking up this one since I was intrigued enough by the first one to give it a shot but I think I'll wait it out.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
My limited edition copy is in the mail now, needs to arrive, asap. However i just started study, so my time with it will be somewhat limited for a while :(

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
So the PVP is forced no matter what you do? Ehhh, that killed Aion for me. I was thinking of picking up this one since I was intrigued enough by the first one to give it a shot but I think I'll wait it out.
The PVP in Dark Souls has always been one of the more unique elements to the game, but if you're deadset against it, you can always play the game offline. That said, if you reject the pvp by doing so, you'll also be rejecting the co-op.

I will say this though, if you intend on playing the game online but you're afraid of the PVP, then waiting to get the game later is the opposite of what you want to do. In the original Dark Souls, once the game had been out long enough (a couple months or so), the newbie starting areas of the game became absolutely FILLED with griefers who had managed to obtain gear and magic far beyond what the average player had at that level, and they would abuse this by invading the games of new and low-levelled players who would have virtually no way of defending themselves. To this day the newbie zones are still cesspools of trolls. I have no reason to believe Dark Souls 2 will be any different, and in fact it could be worse since now you can't even stay hollow to avoid it. So for those who are strongly adverse to pvp, either don't play online at all, or get the game as soon as possible so that the pvp will at least be somewhat fair when it happens.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Really happy to see that the game got overall very good reviews across the board.

The long arduous wait for the PC release begins..wish me luck!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know if I like invasion being a constant threat now. There needs to be some room to breath and not be afraid of someone fucking your shit up. I'd rather they just did what Demon's Souls did and cut your health bar in half when in hollow form.

This just feels a bit too much. I guess I can always play offline, but that'll mean not getting the entire experience. I wish they handled this differently, because this one aspect is making me very stand offish whether or not I wanna get this game.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'm 90% on this, perhaps someone could confirm - but I'd assume the game is not online-only? You can just play offline and avoid the invasions altogether if you want. Moreover, you can't really wait out the PvP in a game like this. The more you wait, the more you'll just have people who focus solely on PvP, among which you'll have your fair share of griefers. They're some of the most enduring players.

I can't say I don't share a bit of your skepticism though. The old systems, both in Demon's and Dark Souls worked just fine and it was easy to switch from invade-able and back on the fly and there were certainly times when I'd be pissed not to have the option not to be invaded. My first time in Anor Londo, invasions were literally less than 10 seconds apart - I've overcome ridiculous odds and defeated 3 invasions, but unlike the invaders, I actually lose shit even if I win, so the fourth got me. Now, I'm all for that feeling of being hunted, but there's a difference between feeling like there's a danger of being invaded and there being a motherfucking factory line of assholes at my world's doorstep waiting their turn.

Moreover, they've brought back the Demon's Souls thing of losing up to half your max health when you die. This was manageable in PvE and created a distinct choice between going with your full health, but risking an invasion, or having a lot harder time not dying. But Dark Souls takes that health off AND lets invaders come after you. So, someone who is clearly intent on killing me, not only has the advantage of not giving a shit about the world, its monsters (I hear there's a way to change that though) and likely a PvP optimised gearset and build, but now I could be fighting that same dude with half my health. That's just beyond brutal, even for the DS games.

Very important question, in case anyone knows the answer - if you can be invaded while Hollowed, does that mean you can summon too?

bunnielovekins

Mar 1, 2013
Just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Now I just want to know about the preorder bonuses: will they give people an advantage, or will they just be reskinned longswords? If the former, I'll be pretty mad.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I absolutely hated invasions in Dark Souls but I'm not that bothered with it for this game.
I think maybe because it's pretty much non-optional now short of playing offline it's somehow making the idea of invasions okay for me for some reason.

Yeah I don't really get it either.

vipLink

May 28, 2011
Gizen said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
The PVP in Dark Souls has always been one of the more unique elements to the game, but if you're deadset against it, you can always play the game offline. That said, if you reject the pvp by doing so, you'll also be rejecting the co-op.

I will say this though, if you intend on playing the game online but you're afraid of the PVP, then waiting to get the game later is the opposite of what you want to do. In the original Dark Souls, once the game had been out long enough (a couple months or so), the newbie starting areas of the game became absolutely FILLED with griefers who had managed to obtain gear and magic far beyond what the average player had at that level, and they would abuse this by invading the games of new and low-levelled players who would have virtually no way of defending themselves. To this day the newbie zones are still cesspools of trolls. I have no reason to believe Dark Souls 2 will be any different, and in fact it could be worse since now you can't even stay hollow to avoid it. So for those who are strongly adverse to pvp, either don't play online at all, or get the game as soon as possible so that the pvp will at least be somewhat fair when it happens.
This apparently won't happen anymore. According to From Soft, there are now Checks in place that compare your equipment and PVP stats with players. If someone has found a lot of equipment in his playtime or killed many other players, your unlikely to get grouped with him unless you have similar stats.

Another thing is that if you've been invaded it's going to be unlikely that your invaded again, and there are Convenants you can join that help in PVP very early.

This is obviously all just hearsay, and we'll have to see if the system actually works. It's also likely we'll see a lot of tweaking and adjustments to balance out some issues.

I also really disliked the PVP in the first Game at first, I started Dark Souls pretty late and was confronted with a lot of griefers.
But at a certain point in the game (about the time you reach Anor Londo) your pretty much as well equipped as anyone else who'd be able to invade you and it becomes a lot more fun to have a nice little challenge match with someone.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
Well this is looking positive, everyone is giving this game very good scores. Unfortunately it comes out on Friday here, at least it is only a couple of days away.

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
Simply play it off-line. Problem solved.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vrach said:
Very important question, in case anyone knows the answer - if you can be invaded while Hollowed, does that mean you can summon too?
I think so. In fact, there's a covenant that is supposed to be dedicated to being summoned to the world of people who have been invaded and helping them out.

OT: I think I could always afford to play offline if I really didn't want to get invaded. The only perk to playing online was the messages and the summoning, the summoning made you vulnerable to invasion anyway, and the messages weren't exactly helpful to begin with.

Stealth

Apr 14, 2012
"It's the best RPG released this year."

Right now that award goes to Bravely Default. But this could be a close second once I dig in