Hearthstone Beginner's Guide - Beating Murlocs and Rush Decks

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Hearthstone Beginner's Guide - Beating Murlocs and Rush Decks

Murlocs aren't as popular as they once were, but Rush strategies are still out there, and you'll want to be prepared.

Read Full Article

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I played a bit of the murloc deck during the beta and the biggest mistake my opponent could make was going to the face too soon. Murloc, more than other rush decks, is all about the synergy. Tidehunter plus old murk eye can just overwhelm anyone that chooses to ignore the early murlocs because they don't seem dangerous.

I mostly play control decks now. if a warlock plays a murloc in the first 2 turns, i immediately focus on constant minion removal, even at the cost of my own life points. Traditional murloc decks aren't effective past turn 7, so if you can get there with a clear board, the murloc player is most likely screwed.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
If you want to race them, you should probably just go ahead and run the hunter faceroll deck(unleash the hounds combo deck), or an aggro-control deck like the unstoppable warrior deck(weapons everywhere).

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
2 of my favorite cards to at least slow down aggro. Sunfury Protector and Defender of Argus, both give other minions taunt making it very effective at slowing things down. Also really helpful if you are playing a minion creator class like the shaman or paly for the situations where you don't have minions on the field but need a taunt, even a small one. Other extremely effective minion is Wild Pyromancer. Use him and combo into any cheap can be extremely useful, especially against hunter aggro decks I see being played (lots of 1 hp minions).

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Shalok said:
So if you have ever played Magic just think of it as mono red...
Pretty much this. If you're not sitting at 10+ life at all times, you're probably done for. Thanks to the direct damage and Charge guys + buff spells, it's got a huge amount of reach, much like the burn component of Red Deck Wins and other mono-red strategies.

Ne1butme said:
I played a bit of the murloc deck during the beta and the biggest mistake my opponent could make was going to the face too soon. Murloc, more than other rush decks, is all about the synergy. Tidehunter plus old murk eye can just overwhelm anyone that chooses to ignore the early murlocs because they don't seem dangerous.

I mostly play control decks now. if a warlock plays a murloc in the first 2 turns, i immediately focus on constant minion removal, even at the cost of my own life points. Traditional murloc decks aren't effective past turn 7, so if you can get there with a clear board, the murloc player is most likely screwed.
I was admittedly late to the party with Murlocs, so I'm still actually playing with them because they're easy, fun, and make the hilarious murloc sound. This is almost exactly what I've found, too. You simply must deal with the early threats before they turn into something more. No, a 2/1 isn't that scary. Heck, even three 2/1s aren't that scary. But when they suddenly turn into 4/2s and start piling on the damage, you'll regret not dealing with them when they were little.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
MANIFESTER said:
2 of my favorite cards to at least slow down aggro. Sunfury Protector and Defender of Argus, both give other minions taunt making it very effective at slowing things down. Also really helpful if you are playing a minion creator class like the shaman or paly for the situations where you don't have minions on the field but need a taunt, even a small one. Other extremely effective minion is Wild Pyromancer. Use him and combo into any cheap can be extremely useful, especially against hunter aggro decks I see being played (lots of 1 hp minions).
i love pyromancer. Coupled with Paladin's equality and you get a cheap board clear. Nothing pisses off rush decks like a board clear.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
You know i've never lost to a full Murloc rush deck. I run Full Skill Madge Deck though, it's probably too advanced for any of you to truly grasp.

Early Argent Squires and/or Scarlet Crusaders and/or an Ice Barrier secret really help shut them down. I regularly turtle behind Ice Barrier, it's fuckin' bullshit.

Polymorph anything you can't kill, Fireball to kill anything that gets big, and use Skillstrike to clear the board once you can. The Mage hero power is really good vs those low health rush decks as well.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Dexterity said:
The Wykydtron said:
You know i've never lost to a full Murloc rush deck. I run Full Skill Madge Deck though, it's probably too advanced for any of you to truly grasp.

Early Argent Squires and/or Scarlet Crusaders and/or an Ice Barrier secret really help shut them down. I regularly turtle behind Ice Barrier, it's fuckin' bullshit.

Polymorph anything you can't kill, Fireball to kill anything that gets big, and use Skillstrike to clear the board once you can. The Mage hero power is really good vs those low health rush decks as well.
I hate Mages so much... At several points I've considered disenchanting either my Golden Jaraxxus or Golden Grommash (#humblebrag) to craft myself a Lorewalker Cho.

It's really such a pain when it's up to turn 9, the Mage burnt through their Frost bolts, Ice Lances, Frost Novas, Flamestrikes etc and then finish me off in two turns with Pyro and Fireblasts.
I do have some class, I don't use the massive fuck you that is Pyroblast. XD

Mages require so much skill to play well y'know, do you know how hard it is to pull off the 100% perfect, board ruining Skillstrike? Easily half a brain cell.

I just crafted Leeroy Jenkins because I wanted him for show in my Rogue deck but I think he might turn out really good in a Mage deck. Boom, instant Fireball if they have no taunt.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I mostly play a pretty solid shaman. between rockbiter, axe, wolfies storm and lightningstorm you generally have enough staying power to get you into the powerfull midgame. fire elemental op op op.

Trump has build a solid legendary and epicless mage, pretty cool, I like his playstyle.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Unless there's something akin to Wrath of God / Day of Judgment / Damnation the Rush decks will always be very strong.
That's why MTG always incorporates one of these effects into their standard meta-game because Naya aggro or White weeny can easily dish out 20 dmg per turn 4 nowadays.

Anyway in Hearthstone you've enough low mana multitarget spells to deal with alot of the Turn 1 + 2 drops. And specially the shaman has his wolves which can completly shut down the whole aggresion from the get go.
Wolves into the lightning spell gives you more than enough time to set up for mid-late game where those aggro decks usually start to run out of steam.

Specially since card draw is there but direct draw is really scarce and the rest is mostly cantrips. Also there's not alot to further improve draw/deck quality in the way of fetch lands etc.
Thus once you can throw a log in the early agreesion of an aggro deck they've no way to recover.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Dexterity said:
The Wykydtron said:

At several points I've considered disenchanting either my Golden Jaraxxus or Golden Grommash (#humblebrag) to craft myself a Lorewalker Cho.
Whaaaaat? You'd rather have borderline useless Cho over this:
?!?!?!?!?
OT: As someone already mentioned, the best way to deal with Murlocs, or just about any deck for that matter, is to almost never ignore the creatures unless you're in range of lethal (or can guarantee it for your next turn while being sure they won't kill you). Board control is by far the most important thing in Hearthstone. You don't usually want to leave your opponent's creatures on the field because they may have someway to buff it or give it divine shield so that they get a favourable trade.