Nintendo Allows Super Smash Bros. Melee at EVO 2014

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Allows Super Smash Bros. Melee at EVO 2014

Shroyuken has confirmed that Nintendo has allowed Super Smash Bros. Melee to be played in this year's EVO tournament.

When we last heard from the boys and girls at Shroyuken about this year's EVO fighting tournament, Super Smash Bros. Melee, one of the most popular games of the previous tournament, was still pending Nintendo's approval [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132128-EVO-2014-Lineup-Smash-Bros-Pending-Nintendos-Approval]. Now, they are happy to announce that Nintendo has approved the use of the game at the tournament, and Smash Bros. Melee will once again feature alongside the likes of Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

EVO announces that Super Smash Bros. Melee has officially joined its 2014 lineup! This marks the second consecutive year for the game at the tournament. In 2013, Mango beat out Wobbles and 700 other competitors in the largest Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament in history.

Last year, Melee ran into a bit of trouble when Nintendo tried to block streams [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125837-Nintendo-Tried-to-Block-Evo-Streams] of the game. But when the big N eventually relented, the game went on to break streaming records (that were then promptly broken again by Marvel vs. Capcom 3).

Hopefully, Nintendo are finally coming around to the idea that people playing its games competitively, or promoting them on YouTube [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124066-Nintendo-Suddenly-Claims-Ownership-Of-Many-YouTube-Videos], is good free publicity, something that, if Wii U sales are anything to go buy, the company could definitely use some of.

Source: Shroyuken [http://shoryuken.com/2014/03/12/super-smash-bros-melee-joins-the-evo-2014-roster/]

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"allows". as if Nintendo had any legal right to deny the streaming to begin with. Granted Nintendo is know to abuse the false flagging system that thanks to Walt Disney Inc. gives them absolutely no legal retaliation and allows them to essentially drag it forever (they flag it, the site must be removed by law, takes 30 days maximum for appeal to be accepted by nintendo, on the 31st day they flag it again, because there is zero repercussions for false flags. And this isnt limited to youtube, its US law.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand Nintendo blocking it in the first place.
PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY OUR GAMES?! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

It's as though Nintendo really want to do everything in their power to collapse.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Li Mu said:
I don't understand Nintendo blocking it in the first place.
PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY OUR GAMES?! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

It's as though Nintendo really want to do everything in their power to collapse.
They probably don't want their game assosiated with the FGC. A community known for not being very civil at times.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
GamerMage said:
It's a start. Nintendo can certainly USE the good PR right now.
Somehow I don't see this doing mountains of good for them, whenever I ehar someone say "it's what they ened" or "it'l be good for them" I then wait for months and see no shift in units compared to no PR at all.

Nintendo at this point needs to do the actual marketing better, stuff like this that's basically free and not directly tied to nintendo doesn't sound like it's going to move thousands if not millions of Wii U units, if anything people will be like "hey a Nintendo game was at EVO 2014, that's cool".

Sorry if it comes off as somewhat cynical, I just see this as nothing but what some fans want but in a way that's not going to do nintendo a massive amount of difference.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Nintendo at this point needs to do the actual marketing better, stuff like this that's basically free and not directly tied to nintendo doesn't sound like it's going to move thousands if not millions of Wii U units, if anything people will be like "hey a Nintendo game was at EVO 2014, that's cool".
Pretty much this. I will say though that officially now I've seen more Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ads than any other Wii U game ever, the total number of it in my area being about 10 times. That beats out Sonic Lost World's advertising I saw by about 3 or so. Other than that though advertising in Southern California is pretty analogous to what I hear how it is in Europe for the Wii U. I can tell you I didn't see any other ads for 3D World except this one and then this...abomination. Sad thing is the second one played more times than the first one. And I have my TV on pretty much all the time on kids network's like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon for white noise. Wonderful 101 got no TV advertisements here, nor any store ones, same with 3D World when it came to store advertisements.

But I still think this move will do some good for Nintendo, seeing as how last year they did the whole LPer thing that gave them mountains of negative PR as well as the issue with when EVO was going on. I think it ended up getting worse with the EVO thing because revenue from the stream was to go to charity, so basically it seemed like Nintendo why trying to black out a charity event, and with the approval this time it should do better.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Neronium said:
I can tell you I didn't see any other ads for 3D World except this one and then this...abomination.
Oh jesus christ that second advert, what's with that?, did they realise we'd left the 90's era of marketing two decades ago?.

That first advert though looked more like today's marketing at best and was on the right course but jesus no more of that abomination advert, that made me cringe pretty bad that I felt sorry for Nintendo for having even made that.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Oh jesus christ that second advert, what's with that?, did they realise we'd left the 90's era of marketing two decades ago?.

That first advert though looked more like today's marketing at best and was on the right course but jesus no more of that abomination advert, that made me cringe pretty bad that I felt sorry for Nintendo for having even made that.
Yeah the second advertisement made me cringe the multiple times I saw it as well. It's just so...awkward and feels so forced that it just creeped me it. The first advertisement I didn't mind at all, but it sucks that the second one got more air time then the first one did. And Nintendo made another ad that is similar to the one for 3D World. It's not as bad, but it still makes me feel like I'm in the 90's again.