Teen Kills Own Grandmother After Scolding - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Teen Kills Own Grandmother After Scolding - Update

Editor's Note: The original headline for this story - "Teen Kills Own Grandmother for Interrupting Dota Match" was misleading, and we at The Escapist apologize for the error. The headline was seemingly based on the source article's headline, which appears to be entirely inaccurate. Please accept our apologies for any confusion or frustration this may have caused. We do not want to be the type of media responsible for demonizing video games, and this was clearly counter to that goal.

A 17-year old boy beats his own grandma to death for scolding him after a match of Dota in Manila, Philippines.

In Manila, Philippines, a 17-year unnamed boy has beaten his own grandmother to death for scolding him and interrupting a game of Dota. According to Police Officer 3 Jaime de Jesus, the 68-year old woman died on the scene due to wounds in the head, neck, and chest, and even had defensive wounds on her arms. The assailant said he was playing a game of Dota at a computer shop in the neighborhood, when his grandmother came to pick him up at 6 p.m. Once they reached home, the boy said his grandma started scolding him and this was when the attack happened.

De Jesus adds that the boy claims doesn't remember what happened and that he "blacked out." Next thing the boy knew, he was already cleaning the evidence of the wrongdoing he committed in their house in Barangay Batasan Hills, Quezon City. The boy went to his aunt's house at 10 p.m. to tell her of the incident and once they went back to the crime scene, the aunt sought assistance from village officials and police officers. De Jesus, along with the other authorities, said that the washbasin used to clean the house up was found next to the grandmother's body, as well as finding bloodstained ceramic shards of what seems to be a smashed vase in a garbage bin in the house's front yard.

The boy came from a broken home, with both his parents already having families of their own. The victim, whom raised the boy herself, was living alone with the 17-year old. Since the boy is still a minor, he's been turned over to the custody of the country's social workers.

I don't think this story of a 16-year stabbing his "friend" to death over a Dota account hacking incident [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132595-11-Year-Old-Stabbed-to-Death-Over-Dota-Hack-Dispute-in-the-Philippines] could be topped, but there you go. Killing your own grandma whom raised you herself over a game? That's just a new level of low.

Source: ABS-CBN [http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro-manila/03/09/14/teen-kills-grandma-interrupting-game]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The Philippines again. People tell me it's grim over there.

His grandmother...strange. Do I want to ask what happened to his mother?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Fucking hell, some thanks she got for raising him. Of all the things that could provoke someone into beating to death, let alone an elderly family member being disturbed when playing a game is what set him off?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Normally I'd be exasperated at the inevitable anti-gaming media attention an incident like this draws, but in this case I'm too disgusted and horrified at the very act and circumstances of the murder. Beating your own grandma to death... over a fucking game... it beggars the imagination. :(

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
He probably has mental issues and it would have been just as likely to happen over a game of checkers than DOTA. That said, it is unfortunate.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.

Which means the scolding was the trigger to it happening, we dont know what was said other than that scolding happened, it may as well have been about how he didnt brush his teeth. Its fair to assume he was pissed that he had to stop playing, but that doesnt mean he beat his Grandmother to death because of it.

Seriously stop trying to spin this into some gaming-related incident when games werent even part of the factors as it happened.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Lets take a step back here.

The kid said he blacked out. When he comes to he realises that he is actually cleaning up the crime scene. He then goes to another family member to seek aid in what to do. After surveying the scene, they go to the authorities.

Judging by this I wager that the DOTA game had little to nothing to do with the actual man-slaughter. This is a case where we the public don't really have enough information to build a reasonable conclusion.

Was the grandma a loving custodian or had she been the horror of the kids life? Has the kid shown previous signs of uncontrollable anger? We know the kid was from a broken home. When did this happen? He has 2 living parents. Why were they not taking care of him?

This is a sensational story with very little meat on it. It is meant to inflame but not actually bring any facts to light.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Yeah, I think that whoever wrote the original article is trying to force us to believe it was because his DOTA match was interrupted but it clearly says how the incident took place.

He was picked up, they got home, she scolded him and THEN he killed her.

The trigger was the scolding, his mis-developed brain (I am assuming he has some sort of issue) probably took it as provocation.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Am I missing something?

Where does the interruption of his game play into this?
I mean she picked him up and then they went all the way home and then he suddenly gets angry about that and kills her?
Not saying that didn't play any part whatsoever but the way the story's written just makes the name of the article kind of weird.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
He probably has mental issues and it would have been just as likely to happen over a game of checkers than DOTA. That said, it is unfortunate.
That said if it was a game of checkers the media wouldn't have a field day with it, as I'm sure they are about to with this. Please don't get me wrong, this is appalling and the boy needs help, but the media will put the emphasis on the fact was playing a game and that is the reason that he killed her, not the fact that he obviously had underlying issues that caused him to do such a horrendous thing.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
A-D. said:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.

Which means the scolding was the trigger to it happening, we dont know what was said other than that scolding happened, it may as well have been about how he didnt brush his teeth. Its fair to assume he was pissed that he had to stop playing, but that doesnt mean he beat his Grandmother to death because of it.

Seriously stop trying to spin this into some gaming-related incident when games werent even part of the factors as it happened.
Gotta aggree here. Reading the story I was thinking this kid has to have come from a broken home, which is confirmed near the end of the article. Nothing to do with video games, kid was sick of his crappy life.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
J Tyran said:
Fucking hell, some thanks she got for raising him. Of all the things that could provoke someone into beating to death, let alone an elderly family member being disturbed when playing a game is what set him off?
You and the articles writer make him out to be some villain when in truth he was brought up in a highly messed up situation and abandoned by both his parents. Also we have no idea how "grandma" has actually raised the boy. Was she actually a good substitute? Or did she used the boy to make her own life easier?

What if she was abusive? What if she let him know each day that he was a failure and unwanted and the only reason she kept him around was so that she wouldnt be completly alone?

Or what if DOTA was his only means to get away from the reality that he has been thrown away by his parents who aparantly dont want anything to do with him and grandma threatened to take it all away from him?

Theres alot that points towards that the kid has some really bad mental issues thanks to his "famaly" if you might call them that and it sadly all exploded onto his grandma who was unfortunate enough to trigger the avalanche of emotions that might have been building up inside of him.

The fact that he went to his aunt and did not run away and try to hide shows that he regrets what happened or atleast wants to take responsibility for his actions.

So no.. this case isnt simply black and white. No healthy minded human being would simply clobber their grandma to death because she bitches at him over some video game. Theres more to this story and seriously? The kid can only be pittied.. he had a shitty live to begin with and it all went downhill even further now.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
This is like a Fox News wet dream; Foreign teenager from a broken home kills grandma over videogames! They couldn't invent a better story to push their agenda.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Something must have been said by the grandma during the scolding that made him loose control and beat her to death. I don't want to defend the kid, but when he is from a broken home, maybe had other issues as well and then maybe hear stuff like "you're an embarrassment" or other much worse things I can understand why someone might get really pissed. And I know that older people can say pretty nasty stuff when they scold you.

It's still no reason to kill the woman that raised you.

But I don't see the direct relation to the game here....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
JakobBloch said:

The kid said he blacked out. When he comes to he realises that he is actually cleaning up the crime scene. He then goes to another family member to seek aid in what to do. After surveying the scene, they go to the authorities.

Judging by this I wager that the DOTA game had little to nothing to do with the actual man-slaughter. This is a case where we the public don't really have enough information to build a reasonable conclusion.

Was the grandma a loving custodian or had she been the horror of the kids life? Has the kid shown previous signs of uncontrollable anger? We know the kid was from a broken home. When did this happen? He has 2 living parents. Why were they not taking care of him?

This is a sensational story with very little meat on it. It is meant to inflame but not actually bring any facts to light.
That's actually a good point. It seems the kid didn't actually snap until they were already at home from the computer shop where he was playing the game. So I'm guessing this had less to do with the game and more to do with the kid's mental state.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Reading all this again... yes the article is complete and utter Fox news crap.

She scolded him.. that was the trigger... not the game.. and who knows what she said to him that triggered the killing. It might evenb be the case that nothin she said during the scolding had been about him playing video games at all for all we know.

The argument that the game was the trigger because he happened to play it before the killing is so stupid as saying he drank a glass of water before he killed her so clearly the water must be at fault here!

PLEASE! WONT ANYONE PROTECT US FROM GLASSES OF WATER!!!!111!

And dont get me started on the dangers of bread folks... makes cocaine look like powdered sugar...

Not a good article you wrote there Alex... really.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Grimh said:
Am I missing something?

Where does the interruption of his game play into this?
I mean she picked him up and then they went all the way home and then he suddenly gets angry about that and kills her?
Not saying that didn't play any part whatsoever but the way the story's written just makes the name of the article kind of weird.
My thoughts exactly. What was the scolding about? About dota?

If the kid happened to have been mowing the lawn before the scolding, would we be reading about the imagined dangers of grass?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
J Tyran said:
Well he probably wasn't a well adjusted youngster prior to this event. And like others have pointed out, we have no idea why he did what he did. Maybe the grandma deserved it.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
JakobBloch said:

Philippines is a third-world country. Kids not having parents happens a lot. Also, grandma scolding him due to playing Dota is the most likely cause of his anger and blacking out.

nodlimax said:
Something must have been said by the grandma during the scolding that made him loose control and beat her to death. I don't want to defend the kid, but when he is from a broken home, maybe had other issues as well and then maybe hear stuff like "you're an embarrassment" or other much worse things I can understand why someone might get really pissed. And I know that older people can say pretty nasty stuff when they scold you.

It's still no reason to kill the woman that raised you.

But I don't see the direct relation to the game here....
See above. Regardless of what triggered it, kid has issues. He could have run off, find a job and lived by himself...killing someone should never be a resort.