Batman Villains Illustrated As Cartoon Sharks

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Batman Villains Illustrated As Cartoon Sharks

If you've ever wondered what Batman's enemies might look like as sharks, Jeff Victor has the answer.

It's Friday. No one cares about the news on Friday. You know what people do care about, though? Sharks and Batman. Luckily, Jeff Victor, an artist from Los Angeles, has combined these two items into a series of handsome illustrations.

Aptly titled "Sharkham Asylum," the series answers a question that Batman fans have been asking for decades: "What if Batman's enemies were actually sharks?"

Several months ago, Victor created toothy renditions of the most iconic members of Batman's rogues gallery. Though, Scarecrow is noticeably absent, which probably makes Cillian Murphy a little sad.

All of the illustrations can be found over a Jeff Victor's blog. He doesn't spend a lot of time talking about the process behind any of the pieces. Though, it sounds like Bane went through a lengthy refinement process.

"I had an idea to try and do a shark cage tied around his face to represent his mask," Victor writes, "but then I thought it might just be better to stick with the Bruce Timm costume instead of doing the Christopher Nolan-verse Bane. A teeny tiny shark cage just wasn't reading the way I wanted. Oh well."

Source: Jeff Victor [http://jeffvictor.blogspot.com/]

[gallery=2195]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Alright, after looking at the pictures I can only get an idea of some of the shark speices they are:

Bane- Bull Shark
Two-Face- really messed up Hammerhead.
Clayface- looks like a Basking Shark to me honestly. I think it's the mouth.
Mr. Freeze- looks like a Great White
Penguin- closest I can think of is a Ground Shark, only because of how pointy the nose is
Riddler- Thresher Shark. I say this because of the long tail-fin

Can't figure out Joker, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy for the life of me.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Someone somewhere is having some very strange dreams. The Riddler is particularly good.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Harvey is flipping a sand dollar! Priceless!

"The way I see it, you've got two choices, and it's the Dollar that decides. Good urchins, you get to live. Bad urchins...I rip you in half."

*Tosses*

OT: These are highly-disturbing to look at, therefore I give them a thumbs up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I...ok, I hadn't actually wondered what Batman villains would look like as sharks, TBH.

OTOH, I like that unless you know who the characters are, it's not immediately apparent which ones are female. No shark boobs, for example.

Possibly it is immediately apparent if you are a shark expert...which would be impressive.

OTOOH, it's disappointing that this is noteworthy.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
So I guess this makes the Shark Repellent Spray the most overpowered gadget in Batman's utility belt?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Can't say I ever thought of this concept... but hey, I'm always up for this kind of thing. Can't say which one is my favorite, though.

Now all I can think of is Batman punching a shark...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Art, I really don't understand it and I never will. I am not saying this is bad or a waste of time or anything, just saying that the meaning and purpose of most art escapes me.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Kinda weird...but okay.

Is it just me, or does Mr. Freeze look more feminine than Harley or Poison Ivy?

Neronium said:
Alright, after looking at the pictures I can only get an idea of some of the shark speices they are:

Bane- Bull Shark
Penguin- closest I can think of is a Ground Shark, only because of how pointy the nose is

Can't figure out Joker, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy for the life of me.
I don't think they are necessarily supposed to resemble actual shark species. Hell, catwoman looks more like an oil slick than a shark.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Kinda weird...but okay.

Is it just me, or does Mr. Freeze look more feminine than Harley or Poison Ivy?

Neronium said:

Bane- Bull Shark

I don't think they are necessarily supposed to resemble actual shark species. Hell, catwoman looks more like an oil slick than a shark.
But if they were, I hope the artist is still working on a goblin shark version of the Scarecrow. They're a creepy bunch.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I realise nobody forced me to look at this gallery, artists are free to do what they want, caveat disclaimer etc.

But, isn't there a point at which "the cast of X re-imagined as Y" is no longer a novel concept? And, wasn't that point several months ago? At this point in time, doesn't this kind of thing start to smell a bit like shameless self-promotion through the "ironic" appropriation of not-particularly-niche popular culture?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Now all we need is someone to think re-launching the "Street Sharks" in DC is a good idea, and what's more a crossover with Batman would be a good way of introducing them. It could become Canon where all the Batman villains are changed the same way by Doctor Killamari (I believe that was his name) along with the guys who will later become the Street Sharks.... it would *totally* work... providing they can get Batman to scream "Jawsome" with them in unison for the inevitable big fight. :)

Actually I probably shouldn't suggest that, someone from DC might see it, and think it's a great idea for the NEXT time they feel the need to reboot the entire DC universe and then do another "52" series to relate all the changes. :)