Solid Snake Unlikely to Return in Super Smash Bros. 4, Says Kojima

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Solid Snake Unlikely to Return in Super Smash Bros. 4, Says Kojima

Kojima says he has had no input on the upcoming Super Smash Bros. For Wii U And 3DS.

One of the biggest surprises of the Wii's Super Smash Bros. Brawl was the addition of Metal Gear Solid main character Solid Snake. But, don't hold your breath for Snake's return in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. For Wii U And 3DS, as the character's creator, Hideo Kojima, has told Geoff Keighley [http://www.twitch.tv/konami/b/510717661] that he has had no input on the game, and that Snake's return isn't likely.

"I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake."

Super Smash Bros. game director Masahiro Sakurai has been slowly revealing returning characters for the new game via Capcom's Mega Man [http://www.smashbros.com/us/] as the second third-party character?

Sakurai claimed that Snake's inclusion in Brawl was due to Kojima "practically begging" [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/thank-kojimas-son-for-getting-snake-into-smash-bros-brawl/] for him to be put in, as Kojima enjoyed playing Smash Bros. with his young son. As he's not really had any contact with Sakurai for the upcoming game's development, unless Sakurai felt somewhat attached to the character, we can probably assume he's been cut.

Personally, I wouldn't shed a tear for Snake. He didn't really seem to fit in the Smash Bros. universe, and his skill set was not particularly interesting.

Source: Konami [http://www.twitch.tv/konami/b/510717661]

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'm fine with this, Snake was probably one of my least favorite characters to play as.

Better him than one of my precious Fire Emblem characters. Still waiting on Chrom's announcement by the way Sakurai, make it happen please.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
'Tis a Shame, to me at least. I would have really liked it if all 3rd Party Characters came back to the new Smash.

What surprises me, though, is that Kojima's statement seems to mean that Nintendo actually owns Solid Snake, at least for the Purposes of Smash Bros.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I still think it's funny how they banned actual bullets, but were okay with heavy explosives.

I liked Snake because it was the only character that openly defied my combat abilities by chaining all those awkward attacks together into combos I wasn't going to counter easily (having lost Samus as my nemesis due to game balance meddling), but while I'd be sad to see him go, I wouldn't be too torn up about it.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
I would shed a tear for Snake's loss.
He didn't really seem to fit in the Smash Bros. universe, and his skill set was not particularly interesting.
You could easily say the same things about most of the SSB characters. I'd say Snake's moveset was one of the most interesting - it was certainly one of the most varied. And regarding "the Smash Bros Universe" and whether or not he fits, Smash Bros is one of the only fighting games where jarring out-of-place crossover is acceptable or warranted, lest we resort to the sort we find in Soul Calibur.

Regarding likelihood, I bet this statement is bullshit. Solid Snake "Unlikely"? Says Kojima? A journalist can use words such as "unlikely" but not Hideo Snake Kojima. I'd guess that when Nintendo put Snake in, there was a contract of sorts that stated a guarantee that future Smash Bros games could continue to use the character. The fact that Kojima is unsure means that he knows Nintendo has the option of putting Snake in. And I think that Nintendo will capitalize on the option, and that Kojima is trolling for attention.

I'm calling Snake's eventual reappearance.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Snake also was damned hard to play. I loathed getting him with random as I never really enjoyed his moveset.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I liked Snake. He was a bit hard to get the hang of, but once you got him down he had a ton of hard-hitting moves that could be used in creative ways and had odd timing and angles that you could use to surprise your opponent. Plus all the little extras, like the great voice acting and trademark Metal Gear humour and the codecs about all the characters. If he does go, I'll be sad to see it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Nooooooooooooo! He was one of my favourites to actually play. His move set forced you to rethink your approach to the whole combat.

I'm actually waiting for a plot twist à la Metal Gear to surprise us all.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I liked playing as Snake for the novelty of it but I agree that he didn't really fit in. I'm hoping Konami lets Simon Belmont or, Goemon participate in Smash Four...Both were big on the Famicom (Goemon), NES (Belmont), SNES (both) N64 (Goemon) etc and Goemon especially would fit in nicely with the other cartoony characters:

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Disappointing, but not unexpected. Snake always seemed like one of the first logical cuts they'd make in terms of roster.

I always thought he was interesting, and that he brought his own unique flavor to Brawl. That said, I think I'll live with him being cut.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Shame my main is being cut but it was inevitable.

Still, I'll cross my fingers for Big Boss/The Boss to join in on the fun since MGS3 made it's way to the 3DS library.

Little Mac kind of stole the hype anyways, so all in all you had a good run Snake.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
I can let the comment about not caring if he's in or not go. I don't care either. But to say he has an uninteresting moveset is just.... incorrect. His moveset is set so far apart from the other characters that using him is like playing a different game. That's like saying that apples aren't sweet in your opinion. Maybe you don't find them sweet but everybody around you is going to think there's something wrong with your taste buds.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Personally, I wouldn't shed a tear for Snake. He didn't really seem to fit in the Smash Bros. universe, and his skill set was not particularly interesting.
Snake is one of the best technical characters in the game. And what exactly is "fitting in" in a game with plumbers, knights, 2D 8-bit sprites, magical creatures, and sci-fi anthropomorphic animals?

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Saying Snake isn't interesting is kind of a "shots fired" kind of comment, but at the same time Snake just seems so much more likely to be cut than any other character. He's not only 3rd party, but one whose franchise has very little focus on Nintendo hardware nowadays. But still, I really liked the somewhat unpredictable nature of Snake's hitboxes and the unique properties of all of his moves.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
I liked playing as Snake for the novelty of it but I agree that he didn't really fit in. I'm hoping Konami lets Simon Belmont or, Goemon participate in Smash Four...Both were big on the Famicom (Goemon), NES (Belmont), SNES (both) N64 (Goemon) etc and Goemon especially would fit in nicely with the other cartoony characters:

See, you say that...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Given how many times I asked about Snake in the next Smash bros game...this seems oddly specific. And given that i a few times as a young lad did say to my friends that Snake would be awesome in smash bros, I can't help but think this lends further proof that Nintendo is for some reason spying on me.

OT: This breaks my heart. It made me so happy to have Snake in this game, so to see him gone again is just plain sad. Fighting was the only thing he was good at, but hey at-least the guy always fought for what he believed in. Here's hoping we get Snake back soon, until then he's gonna keep us waiting like always...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So what you're saying, Kojima-san, is...

"Oh dear, I don't know if SNAKE SHOULD BE IN THE NEXT SMASH BROS. GAME, maybe you should ask SAKURAI..."

And if you read that like Kojima was coming across as a coy schoolgirl shouting the parts in capital letters, I have done my job.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Darn. I loved snake. His skillset was amazingly fun if you wanted a character that relied more on proper planning than anything else. Manage to get set up properly and you could set off a combo that bounced enemies all over the map from one explosion, into another explosion, into another explosion, into a huge boot to the face. I'll be really sad if he's gone.

Also seriously don't get how you could find his skillset boring. Literally every single one of his moves did something different and they all had more in depth mechanics than most other moves in the game.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
A bit of a shame, but I figured there was a good chance he would not return. If we are really lucky, we could get another Konami character, Simon Belmont anyone? :D

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Hero of Lime said:
A bit of a shame, but I figured there was a good chance he would not return. If we are really lucky, we could get another Konami character, Simon Belmont anyone? :D
THIS

I can't even stress how perfect this idea is. Both Simon and Snake started off on the NES and are Konami bros. I'd be a crime to not put Simon in for that reason alone!
Depends on which one though...
They can do 2D sprite Simon, but his moveset might be limited, (I could be wrong though, just look at Megaman) or Simon from Super Castlevania 4.
Whips, whip wiggles, and moonwalks everywhere.