Fan Spots Gandalf's Sword in Game of Throne's Iron Throne

Justin Boisvert

Jan 22, 2014
Fan Spots Gandalf's Sword in Game of Throne's Iron Throne

Gandalf's sword is among the many that make up the Iron Throne.

Quick! What do Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings have in common? Well swords, magic, and evidently, one specific magic sword in particular. This Thursday a sharp eyed fan posted a picture on reddit pointing out Gandalf the Grey's legendary sword from among the many worked into the Iron Throne. The sword Glamdring (aka "Foe-Hammer" or as the goblins among you may know it, "Beater") was part of a cache of weapons found by Bilbo and crew in The Hobbit, and was carried by the wizard Gandalf throughout the The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

In the Game of Thrones storyline, the Iron Throne is forged from the swords of enemies who surrendered by the ruler Aegon the Conqueror, which could be taken as a bad sign for Gandalf (prequel/sequel/crossover anyone?); but a more likely explanation is that the prop-makers for the show used molds or left-over props from whatever sources were ready to hand when they made the throne. This sort of thing is common in the film industry, and is also likely how we get that other hidden Game of Thrones gem, the head of George W. Bush on a spike in the Red Keep (since altered by HBO [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/hbo-alters-severed-bush-head_n_1625502.html]).

Sources: Huffington Post [http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/208zp5/no_spoilersis_that_gandalfs_sword_in_the_iron/]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Uhhh...can I get a picture of that head of Bush? I feel a Demotivational Poster coming on.

OT: Ah, you know the drill. Gandalf 'surrendered' the fate of man to the next generation, as the time of wizards, elves, and magic was coming to an end. Y'all know for damn sure that Gandalf would take King's Landing on his own if he wanted to.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
EndlessSporadic said:
Is there a picture of him that doesn't make me want to punch his face in?
Possibly the ones where he IS getting his face punched in? (Tyrion slapping him.)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Uhhh...can I get a picture of that head of Bush? I feel a Demotivational Poster coming on.
It's actually impossible to see it's Bush, as they've put a wig on it. The only reason we even know he's there is because one of the producers said so during an interview.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
...but a more likely explanation is that the prop-makers for the show used molds or left-over props from whatever sources were ready to hand when they made the throne. This sort of thing is common in the film industry...
This is why Stanley Kubrik destroyed many of his sets. The Discovery One set had to be remade (kinda inaccurately) from watching the first film to make 2010 even though Kubrik gave it his blessing enough to get a cameo. Jackson must be a Game of Thrones fan(or they just had plenty of prop Glamdrings).
EndlessSporadic said:
No, that's impossible. There is a GIF of Batman blowing him up as a kid somewhere out in the ocean that is the internet, if that makes you feel a little better.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
EndlessSporadic said:
You know what? Kudos to the actor's portrayal of Joffrey. He's done such a good job that everyone hates him. I just hope that afterwards, the actor doesn't have people hating him the way people hated Wil Wheaton for playing Wesley Crusher.

As for the sword, good job to the person who found it. Its an impressive game of Where's Glamdring?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
EndlessSporadic said:
FalloutJack said:
Possibly the ones where he IS getting his face punched in? (Tyrion slapping him.)
Hairless Mammoth said:
No, that's impossible. There is a GIF of Batman blowing him up as a kid somewhere out in the ocean that is the internet, if that makes you feel a little better.
How about a whole video? :)

<youtube=2PUefiJBJQQ>

He seems like a pretty cool guy. Plus, he's talented, as FoolKiller puts it...

FoolKiller said:
You know what? Kudos to the actor's portrayal of Joffrey. He's done such a good job that everyone hates him.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
FoolKiller said:
EndlessSporadic said:
You know what? Kudos to the actor's portrayal of Joffrey. He's done such a good job that everyone hates him. I just hope that afterwards, the actor doesn't have people hating him the way people hated Wil Wheaton for playing Wesley Crusher.

As for what happened to Gandalf and why Glamdring's in the throne:
Fan-canon?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
You know I generally consider myself to be quite nerdy and then I look on the internet for about 5 minutes and realise I'm actually very normal!

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's nothing, I just spotted Draco Malfoy in Game of Throne's Iron Throne.
Cookies. You need them. Please. Take of the Cookies of the Stark People. Take.

OT:

Holy Hobbit in a sock Batman, how the hell did someone managed to figure out a sword that's most defining feature was that it was a sword in a throne full of swords. Seriously. Gandalf's sword didn't even have some special dragon guard or something. It looks like a slightly fancy version of most swords, when covered in iron (still looked epic in the movie, though).

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
My internal nitpicker must voice the fact that Glamdring originally belonged to Eldrond's grandpa Turgon. Olórin merely took it from pile goblins presumably looted from Gondolin.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
FoolKiller said:
EndlessSporadic said:

As for the sword, good job to the person who found it. Its an impressive game of Where's Glamdring?
Why is it when an actor plays a mean or evil character that some people hate on the actor and/or assume that the actor is like that in real life?

On Topic: That makes me wonder if the people who designed The Iron Throne knew that it was Gandalf's sword and put it in because of that or just threw it in for random happenstance.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Justin Boisvert said:
Quick! What do Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings have in common? Well swords, magic, and evidently, one specific magic sword in particular.
Also Sean Bean getting killed.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
"You shall not pass!" apparently doesn't work on Aegon the Conqueror and Balerion the Black Dread.