Xbox Live Gold Accounts Erroneously Expiring for Some Users - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Xbox Live Gold Accounts Erroneously Expiring for Some Users - Update

Existing Xbox Live Gold users are saying that their Gold memberships are expiring erroneously, with Xbox Support stating it's due to "stacking" many codes at once.

Update: A Microsoft rep has gotten back to us and issued the following statement :

We are aware that select customers experienced problems with their Xbox Live Gold memberships. The problem was caused by an update on the backend and has since been resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Here's to hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Original Story:

Over on the official Xbox forums, a number of existing Xbox Live Gold users are reporting that their memberships have suddenly ended and turned to Silver for unknown reasons. A few users are even stating that their Gold Tenure shows 0 even if they've been a Gold member for years.

NeoGAF user Senior Chupon has posted the following message on the Xbox forums: [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/12/t/1716216.aspx]

I was trying to download Dungeon Defenders this morning since it's the Games with gold title for the 2nd half of March. I got an error that I was unable to download it and then a few minutes later I received an e-mail stating my gold account has been cancelled. I never cancelled this subscription.

In fact I had redeemed a few codes in November bringing my expiration to September 2015. I tried phone support but that was useless and I got disconnected.

I need my gold subscription re-established as soon as possible.

His post was followed by Meadhlyn just a few hours later claiming: [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/12/t/1468822.aspx]

I had one year left on my gold subscription and 4 years of tenure now I'm silver and 0 years what's going on ?

Another user affected is Dog Brazil SPZN who states he received an email from Microsoft saying his account has been "cancelled." [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/12/t/1715814.aspx]

Hi,

On Jan/2014 I sign a 12 mounths gold account by U$39,99

That value was debited in my credit card at same mounth.

After 2 mounths, Yesterday I received an e-mail from billing@mi?crosoft.com with information saying my account has been CANCELED.

The point is: I didnt (sic) canceled it!

And now? please can somebody explain to me whats (sic) happen?

I want my gold signature 8 mounts (sic) remains back!

You can read the other affected users in the main "Managing my Xbox Live Account" page [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/12.aspx] on the official Xbox forums.

Fortunately, there seems to be an answer -- though a little obscure -- to what's causing it; and even better, there's a "fix," too. Conversing with Chupon directly, he told me that after three hours worth of phone calls with Xbox Support, they gave him three codes to redeem, one 12-month code, and two three-month ones. Keep in mind the duration of his Xbox Live Gold membership has been restored and he wasn't given any extra Gold time (that duration was the present one he had before the issue occurred). Chupon also adds that the support rep said they "think this is caused when users stack many codes that are redeemed," and that "this is a known issue affecting others but that for it to be a known issue it has to have been reported by several people."

So, if this has happened to you or someone you know, best to let Microsoft know so this will be a "known issue. If ever you are one of the unfortunate few, go call Xbox Support. But just be prepared to wait an hour or two before it's resolved, though.

We've reached out to Microsoft concerning the issue and will update the post once a rep has responded.

Source: NeoGAF [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/12.aspx]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
If Xbox Live tech support is anything like how it was for me when I was calling about my RRoD Xbox 360, then long time on the phone doesn't surprise me. Although if it is a "stacking" issue then that's kinda bad if you ask me because there are a lot of people who wanna stack time onto their accounts I'm sure.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Does this perhaps have anything to do with those masses of free Xbox Live Gold Trial codes given away recently by Doritos?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Does this perhaps have anything to do with those masses of free Xbox Live Gold Trial codes given away recently by Doritos?
I wouldn't think it would, because otherwise there would have been similar problems with when you would get those Gold trials in new free games since you also have to type in codes for those as well.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Xbox support can be OK, I wanted to cancel my auto-renew (which you cannot do manually if you are UK customer) a few weeks ago, I just logged straight into the site started up a online chat with the support told them what I wanted and 5 mins later the support lady had turned it off no fuss.

If I got hit my this I wouldn't care anymore, my gold expires on April 1st and will not renew now. And I've pretty much used up all my Microsoft money this week while still on gold to get the gold-discounts, I've got 51p left and cannot find anything to spend that on because everything cost at least 65p, It's an expectable loss.

I suppose this is just another reason to justify my goodbye Xbox plan.

Dec 14, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
Xbox support can be OK, I wanted to cancel my auto-renew (which you cannot do manually if you are UK customer) a few weeks ago, I just logged straight into the site started up a online chat with the support told them what I wanted and 5 mins later the support lady had turned it off no fuss.

If I got hit my this I wouldn't care anymore, my gold expires on April 1st and will not renew now. And I've pretty much used up all my Microsoft money this week while still on gold to get the gold-discounts, I've got 51p left and cannot find anything to spend that on because everything cost at least 65p, It's an expectable loss.

I suppose this is just another reason to justify my goodbye Xbox plan.

But you can, I did it online on the MS site literally earlier today, unless that's a very recent development.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
But you can, I did it online on the MS site literally earlier today, unless that's a very recent development.
Seriously I looked on every account (on both xbox and microsoft) page like 5 times and I even got some pictures of where it was supposed to be and it was not there.

They have apparently from what I read added at one point and removed it again, they added it on in 2011 and removed it again in 2013 according to what I read whilst trying to find it. For the UK version of the site anyway.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Love how all the apostrophes have been "sic'ed" yet "mounth" in the first sentence wasn't xD
Add a "sic" to the start/end of the entire quote as to not hit this pitfall.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Last i heard thats bugged, so watch out. People that done that reported subscrittion continue to work and auto-payments continue to be done even with the option selected. they had to call up tech support to cancel it and support told them its a bug in a system and it doesnt actually work. no refunds either.