Ultra Street Fighter IV's "Secret" New Character is Decapre

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ultra Street Fighter IV's "Secret" New Character is Decapre

Decapre may just look like "Cammy with a mask," but Capcom assures us she is totally different.

Back when Ultra Street Fighter IV was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125960-Update-Street-Fighter-IV-DLC-Adds-Five-New-Characters] last year, Capcom revealed four characters (Rolento, Elena, Hugo, and Poison) who had previously been featured in Street Fighter X Tekken, and promised a fifth, secret, brand-new, never-before-seen character. That character has now been revealed to be Decapre, one of the "Bison Dolls" who bears a rather striking similarity to Street Fighter veteran, Cammy.

Decapre, along with the other Bison Dolls, were captured by Shadaloo at a young age, and brainwashed to be an assassin and bodyguard for M. Bison. Previous games featured Juni and Juli as playable Bison Dolls, but true to Capcom's word, this is Decapre's first appearance as a playable character in a video game.

While at first glance she appears to be a mere clone of Cammy, using her signature corkscrew kicks, Decapre has her own unique fighting style, which uses retractable blades on both hands in hand-to-hand combat, "quick and elusive scramble moves" and psycho power infused attacks that allow her to share her pain with her opponents.

Ultra Street Fighter IV will also include the Edition Select Mode, where players can choose their favorite version of any fighter featuring their original balance from past Street Fighter IV revisions, and YouTube integration [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131620-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Will-Feature-YouTube-Integration].

It will launch for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in June, with a Windows PC version following in August. It will cost $39.99 as a stand-alone game, while players who already own a version of Street Fighter IV can upgrade for $14.99.

What do you guys think of this reveal? Personally, after hyping it for so long, I was expecting a slightly more... original character.

Source: Capcom [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-Hl33Xqpk]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Typical Capcom. Seriously you could have just kept Street Fighter IV the way it was and added in all the additions from Super and Ultra through patches and DLC.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Yeeeeaaah!!! it's... A Cammy re-skin... what a new and creative character has Capcom come up with, SO AWESOME!

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
The Great JT said:
Typical Capcom. Seriously you could have just kept Street Fighter IV the way it was and added in all the additions from Super and Ultra through patches and DLC.
by the way the article says if you already own sf4 to 'upgrade to ultra for 14.99' can you not?

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I was ULTRA disappointed with this reveal. They made us wait for THIS? All the secrecy and it turns out the character is just a cammy reskin with a few different moves?

The worst part was the R.Mika tease at the beginning of the video. That was low, Capcom...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Great JT said:
Did you miss the part where it said that is available as DLC at a quarter of full price?

I suppose its understandable if you stopped reading where it said its coming out at 2 thirds of full price.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Nope...nope nope nope...nope.

I already got conned out of my money on SF vs Tekken, and I already bought one of the SF DLC's already. Quite frankly, I don't care to waste any more of my time paying Capcom to keep cheating me.

The Cammy knockoff looks cool enough, but the other characters are just ports. How much work did they REALLY have to do here? I am not looking to re-buy a game I pretty much already own, nor purchase DLC characters I can already play in the exact same manner on SF vs Tekken.

Again, Capcom got its money out of me already, and lost any good will I may have once given. I won't give them a red cent. I'm buying used, if at all, just as I rented "Remember Me." Between the title's failed potential, and Capcom's shady business dealings, it was almost DOA. My conscious doesn't burn at all for its failure.

For that matter, Netherealm pissed me off with their handling of the Season Pass for Injustice. Something about marketing for fighting games is just a joke nowadays. KOF and Persona are the only ones in the genre that haven't completely perturbed me (though they did pull some crap by charging for palette swaps).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Grabehn said:
Yeeeeaaah!!! it's... A Cammy re-skin... what a new and creative character has Capcom come up with, SO AWESOME!
To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now, as Cammy's original background was that she had been mind controlled/brain washed by M. Bison with her endings being her breaking free of control. With all of the super-science involving cloning, genetic modification, etc... I figured it was inevitable that we were going to see an evil version show up with a convoluted background and a similar move set.

It is underwhelming, and seems like someone at Capcom realized they had left this option open and kept forgetting to use it. The big question of course is going to be if this character is a clone, trained by Cammy when she was under mind control, or something similar.... not really exciting, but I'd imagine it's the biggest real "secret" involved her. They might have done something more novel to explain why this "Bison Doll" has this move set, but it's Capcom, so I doubt it.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
If this character is supposed to be "totally different" from Cammy... then why the hell didn't they use one of the Bison dolls who wasn't just Cammy with a mask? That trailer showed there was plenty to choose from, so why the one that already looks like a popular established character? Also, I don't think using a Cannon Spike, Cammy's signature move, as the first thing we see Decapre do, was a wise choice if you want us to think "yup, totes not a palette swap."

Also, that R.Mika thing? Total dick move Capcom. I can kinda understand that having another professional wrestler would be silly, considering we already have Zangief, Luchadore, and Oil Wrestler guy in the game, but that was just rubbing salt in the wound. It's those things that make Blazblue a much better fighting game. Well, to be fair, everything Blazblue does makes it a better game... no, scratch that even, every fighting game Arc System Works has made does everything better than the once proud Street Fighter.

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
I also expected a little bit more from the "mysterious" new character. But in the end I am happy that there will be a new style for a well known character. At least I hope that here fighting style is a little bit different. In the end I will buy Ultra Street Fighter IV anyway... SF4 was the best and is the best fighting game from my point of view.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Decapre, along with the other Bison Dolls, were captured by Shadaloo at a young age, and brainwashed to be an assassin and bodyguard for M. Bison. Previous games featured Juni and Juli as playable Bison Dolls, but true to Capcom's word, this is Decapre's first appearance as a playable character in a video game.
Therumancer said:
To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now, as Cammy's original background was that she had been mind controlled/brain washed by M. Bison with her endings being her breaking free of control. With all of the super-science involving cloning, genetic modification, etc... I figured it was inevitable that we were going to see an evil version show up with a convoluted background and a similar move set.

It is underwhelming, and seems like someone at Capcom realized they had left this option open and kept forgetting to use it. The big question of course is going to be if this character is a clone, trained by Cammy when she was under mind control, or something similar.... not really exciting, but I'd imagine it's the biggest real "secret" involved her. They might have done something more novel to explain why this "Bison Doll" has this move set, but it's Capcom, so I doubt it.
EyeReaper said:
If this character is supposed to be "totally different" from Cammy... then why the hell didn't they use one of the Bison dolls who wasn't just Cammy with a mask? That trailer showed there was plenty to choose from, so why the one that already looks like a popular established character? Also, I don't think using a Cannon Spike, Cammy's signature move, as the first thing we see Decapre do, was a wise choice if you want us to think "yup, totes not a palette swap."

I actually kinda like this reveal. Decapre has already appeared in the Udon Street Fighter comics
and was revealed to be the last failed cloning experiment by Shadaloo to create a host body for Bison to use if needed, before the ostensibly successful creation of Killer Bee/Cammy.

That's why her fighting style and appearance are so similar to Cammy - she's not actually a kidnapped and brainwashed girl like Juni and Juli, she's actually a Bison clone like Cammy.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Oh crapcom you never fail to disappoint. I remember when you made things besides overpriced SFIV re-releases and increasingly horrible dead rising games, why can't we go back to that?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Hey guys it's new characters! As in the ones that were already on Street Fighter X Tekken and a Cammy reskin! Isn't that just fantastic. Come, come buy our useless Ultra edition!

How low you have fallen Capcom, trying to sell consumers reused stuff to keep you afloat.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
Hey guys it's new characters! As in the ones that were already on Street Fighter X Tekken and a Cammy reskin! Isn't that just fantastic. Come, come buy our useless Ultra edition!

How low you have fallen Capcom, trying to sell consumers reused stuff to keep you afloat.
Guess I am either an idiot or the target demographic because apart from being dissapointed by the mystery character, this is actually looking pretty good to me. I love SfxT but on pc IT IS UNPLAYABLE and whilst i'd much rather them fix it, giving me Hugo and Elena (and Poison but I don't like using her) is something i can live with for $15. I always prefered playing SSF4 just because of the better netcode.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*sighs* You know? Had it been R. Mika, Ingrid, Necro, Q or my absolute personal favorite Oro. I'd have been thrilled. Any one of those would have been unique and a treat to play. But a Cammy knock off? Adding Rolento and Hugo is ok, and since we have Adon and Rose already maybe we'll see Birdie or Sodom eventually.

Where is my freaking Oro return Capcom, you bums?!

EyeReaper said:
Also, that R.Mika thing? Total dick move Capcom. I can kinda understand that having another professional wrestler would be silly, considering we already have Zangief, Luchadore, and Oil Wrestler guy in the game, but that was just rubbing salt in the wound. It's those things that make Blazblue a much better fighting game. Well, to be fair, everything Blazblue does makes it a better game... no, scratch that even, every fighting game Arc System Works has made does everything better than the once proud Street Fighter.
As a big fan of Guilty Gear series, I absolutely understand what you're talking about, but on your other point; Why can't they have R. Mika? Look at the list of "wrestlers" you've made (Missing E. Honda as Sumo Wrestler). All males. R. Mika could have been the bombastic American Wrestler archtype with a fast flashy, not taking herself seriously wrestling style. And put a girl in the boys club so to speak as all the female SFIV characters to date have all been lithe kick specific ones.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
HalloHerrNoob said:
jayzz911 said:
Guess I am either an idiot or the target demographic because apart from being dissapointed by the mystery character, this is actually looking pretty good to me. I love SfxT but on pc IT IS UNPLAYABLE and whilst i'd much rather them fix it, giving me Hugo and Elena (and Poison but I don't like using her) is something i can live with for $15. I always prefered playing SSF4 just because of the better netcode.
Yeah, because why should companies fix their shit if they can just rename it and get more Moaaaaaney!
Srsly, if that would be EA publishing the game, the internet would be filled with petitions to bomb them, hatemails and awards for worst company in the history of companies.
SSF4 and SFxT are not the same game. They also don't play the same to people who play them a lot. (that would be me)
I'm quite happy to get new characters to play with on SSF4, fixing SFxT would be great but that wouldn't change the fact that I'd still want them in SSF4.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
As not a fan or player of the series at all, they didn't have to give her the exact same hairstyle as Cammy, surely? That's just inviting disappointment.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I hate this reveal.

Capcom is once again lying to their fanbase - this "Decapre" is literally just a Cammy reskin with charge moves and bullshit teleports.