Fashion Site Launches "Geek Couture" Contest For Comic Con

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fashion Site Launches "Geek Couture" Contest For Comic Con

Retailer Her Universe is hosting a design contest to bring unique "geek couture" pieces to its San Diego Comic Con fashion show.

I am not the most the fashionable of men. In fact, now that I'm really thinking about, it dawns on me that I've pretty much worn the same seven t-shirts each week for probably the last six months now. That being the case, I can still appreciate the value of clever clothes and the way that they can be used to help spread tastes and ideas to wider audiences.

That in mind, I can wholeheartedly get behind the concept of the design competition being launched by the nerdy apparel site Her Universe. The site, which is planning to debut a Fashion Show at 2014's San Diego Comic Con, announced the competition recently in an announcement urging potential designers to submit original "geek couture" designs. Entrants are invited to include up to three separate "female fashion" designs on their submission form, which must be received by April 4th, 2014. Finalists will be announced by April 18th.

[gallery=2210]

Hoping to give entrants examples of what they mean, Her Universe was kind enough to include some samples to guide them. And while, again, I'm no where even approaching a fashionista, I have to say that some of the included designs are actually pretty neat in the way they nerd culture into women's wear. Granted, all I could think with the Thor-inspired piece was <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8SLT5fmreU>"doth mother know you weareth her drapes" but, by-and-large, the designs feature some clever takes on popular characters. Take a look and let us know what you think.

Source: <a href=http://www.heruniverse.com/fashionshowcontest>Her Universe

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
The Dr. Who ones are stunningly beautiful, as is the Thor and Loki ones too. The "Captain James T. Kirk" one is nothing more than a green dress that I see no semblance of Star Trek in it. The ugly ones are the Transformer ones and the Walking Dead ones. ...yuck!

Captcha: Improved Handling

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
The Dr. Who ones are stunningly beautiful, as is the Thor and Loki ones too. The "Captain James T. Kirk" one is nothing more than a green dress that I see no semblance of Star Trek in it. The ugly ones are the Transformer ones and the Walking Dead ones. ...yuck!

Captcha: Improved Handling
I thought Bumblebee was supposed to be Misty, to be honest.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I think fashion is a joke at best and annoying at worst. If you're comfortable in it and it looks good on you, wear it and forget the rest, dammit. I'm also a bit sickened by how anorectic those sketches are.

That said, I liked the Thor design the best, as it looked the most like the character it's based on.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Yeah screw fashion.

Had a fight with my GF this Christmas... actually with mum too they ganged up. They'd looked at a menswear magazine and seen clothing that looked good on models. So we get to the store...

I pick out a pair of jeans that fits nicely, has my leg length and are on sale for $50. NOPE!

I get given a pair of skinny jeans that are about 4 inches away from fitting, I tell them they don't even fit but when the shop girl tells them their sold out of the larger sized they decide to get these jeans anyway... $340!

Quote: "They'll stretch". I bruised my stomach when I was literally forced to wear them for an hour.

Then the same thing with shorts, I find a pair that fit nicely, (I have a bum), and $40. NOPE!

Same thing as last time, get a pair of jeans with a flat ass and the pockets dump everything out of them whenever I sit down. Completely useless. $210.

I'm meant to be grateful that they 'helped' me with fashion? They wasted $500 on useless clothes I can't even wear, that didn't fit and never will. Admitted I'm a bit heavy, 91kg with a 94cm waist, but also tall which just makes it that much harder to find well fitting clothes...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Raioken18 said:
Why dont you just, you know, tell them not to buy them? And how the hell do they "Force" you to wear clothes that dont even fit? have they tied you up and put them on?

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Strazdas said:
Raioken18 said:
Why dont you just, you know, tell them not to buy them? And how the hell do they "Force" you to wear clothes that don't even fit? have they tied you up and put them on?
I did tell them not to buy them.

And by force I mean emotional coercion. Clearly you have yet to come into contact with the angry girlfriend stage of a relationship... it's not good.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Raioken18 said:
Strazdas said:
Raioken18 said:
Why dont you just, you know, tell them not to buy them? And how the hell do they "Force" you to wear clothes that don't even fit? have they tied you up and put them on?
I did tell them not to buy them.

And by force I mean emotional coercion. Clearly you have yet to come into contact with the angry girlfriend stage of a relationship... it's not good.
Im no expert, but if she is unable to comprehend cloth sizes maybe shes not fit to be "girlfriend"?

Then again, maybe your wilingness to be tortured is the reason you got one.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Now im no fashion aficionado, but none of those dresses (aside from Lori's ghost, because it is literally just a white dress) look anything like the source material. Like, at all.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
Some of those are really, really lovely. I am also not a fan of the Captain Kirk dress. That shade green is a little much for me, and the blue shoes are distracting.
I'm glad they did not take all of the source material literally. Then it would be cosplay pretty much wouldn't it? Bumblee Bee for example: definitely not a transformer, but if you look, you can see how they took ideas and inspiration from the colors and his build.
Seeing others' interpretations is fun!

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
I rather liked the first five although the Loki one would be better without the horn hat and the Kirk needs different shoes. The remaining four looked a tad weird. The Tardis was ok, but if they changed the shoulders and removed the hat and the black bars across the torso I would like it a lot. As for Bumblebee well as JaceArveduin said it looks like misty. Sophia from the Walking Dead just seems very meh to bad, it seems each piece was thrown in without considering the rest of the outfit. Then we come to Windblade, for some reason it reminds of those skeletons with muscles but no skin then mixed with a union jack. Just no.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
As glad as I am to see that fashion has finally realized there's money to be made in 'geek culture' I am too distracted by how freakishly long those models' legs are. Granted, most are just drawings, but it validates my feeling that models are not actually real people.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
As glad as I am to see that fashion has finally realized there's money to be made in 'geek culture' I am too distracted by how freakishly long those models' legs are. Granted, most are just drawings, but it validates my feeling that models are not actually real people.
I'd like to see a 'Death Star' inspired dress for obese people.

Or Jabba the Hutt!