Velvet Assassin Dev Just Says "Yes"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Velvet Assassin Dev Just Says "Yes"

Despite what happened to Replay Studios [fallout.bethsoft.com] insists that the presence of morphine is an integral part of the game and that references to it won't be removed.

Back in July 2008, Australia's all versions [http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html], replacing the real-world drugs with fictional, but functionally identical, counterparts.

Morphine, by all reports the catalyst for the OFLC's decision on Fallout 3, also figures prominently in Velvet Assassin [http://www.velvetassassin.com/] as a power-up that slows down the gameplay and allows the player to perform more devastating attacks while in "morphine mode." The game's website says morphine offers multiple in-game benefits, from relieving pain and anxiety to decreasing hunger and reducing the cough reflex, but also warns of many negative aspects, suggesting that an addiction mechanic will be a part of the game. "Morphine's euphoric effects can be highly addictive," the site says. "Tolerance (the need for higher and higher doses to maintain the same effect) as well as physical and psychological dependence develop quickly."

In an email to SouthPeak Games [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/20/velvet-assassin-keeping-drug-references/] said that despite the risk of running into trouble in Australia and elsewhere, morphine was kept in order to maintain the game's "artistic integrity."

"One of Velvet Assassin's strongest features is the emphasis on retaining as much historical accuracy as possible," Norris explained. "It's a well known fact that morphine was widely used as a pain killer for wounded operatives and soldiers on all sides of the war. Not only does it fit the realism of the game, but it also plays an integral role in the actual gameplay experience. Use of morphine in the game is not meant to condone drug abuse, but to reflect the realistic nature of the game and true to life historical factors."

"It is incredibly important to us that the artistic integrity of the developer [Replay Studios] is upheld in every aspect," she continued. "Additionally, the spirit of the game centers on players experiencing the life of a British operative behind enemy lines through Violette's memories. In order to provide players with the most realistic and visceral experiences, Replay Studios has gone to great lengths to adhere to the facts history has provided. These reasons are why we decided to include and keep morphine in Velvet Assassin."

Claiming "realism" and "historical accuracy" in a game like Velvet Assassin may be a bit dodgy, but a commitment to artistic integrity is very commendable. But since the game has yet to be rated by the OFLC or anyone else, it remains to be seen how that commitment will hold up if faced with serious opposition. Velvet Assassin is currently in development for the Xbox 360 [http://www.xbox.com] and PC, and is set for release in the first half of 2009.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sorry, wait wait, back up a bit....
Malygris said:
Morphine, by all reports the catalyst for the OFLC's decision on Fallout 3, also figures prominently in Velvet Assassin [http://www.velvetassassin.com/] as a power-up that slows down the gameplay and allows the player to perform more devastating attacks while in "morphine mode."
"Devestating attacks"...in a stealth game......They really have no idea what they're making, do they?

And artistic integrity got shot in the calves at the nightie shots.
Honestly, I have no idea what they're trying to do here.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
wow, this is on my short list of games for this year. i hope it lives up to the splinter cell fame. im really excited for it.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
They appear to be trying to challenge Bayonetta for the title of stupidest and most exploitative new series of 2009.
Ugh. Don't even speak of Bayonetta.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Your.Name.Here said:
"The game's website says morphine offers multiple in-game benefits, from relieving pain and anxiety to decreasing hunger and reducing the cough reflex"

This happens in game? You are actually going to be coughing in a game? What?
Would make sense, I guess. Your character's in thick smoke or ill or something, and guards will be attracted by your coughs. Wasn't something like this in Metal Gear Solid? There was cough medicine iirc.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Your.Name.Here said:
"The game's website says morphine offers multiple in-game benefits, from relieving pain and anxiety to decreasing hunger and reducing the cough reflex"

This happens in game? You are actually going to be coughing in a game? What?
MGS2-style?

Edit: ninja'd ¬_¬

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
Well it's nice they aren't going to dumb down this game that is going to be terrible most likely anyway. Though I'm sure morphine fiends will blame it for their addiction when they're found in a room of murdered medical staff looking for a fix.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
meatloaf231 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sorry, wait wait, back up a bit....
Malygris said:
Morphine, by all reports the catalyst for the OFLC's decision on Fallout 3, also figures prominently in Velvet Assassin [http://www.velvetassassin.com/] as a power-up that slows down the gameplay and allows the player to perform more devastating attacks while in "morphine mode."
"Devestating attacks"...in a stealth game......They really have no idea what they're making, do they?

And artistic integrity got shot in the calves at the nightie shots.
Honestly, I have no idea what they're trying to do here.
Oh, I'd say their PR department is doing a splendid job. No news is bad news.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Coughing happened in Metal Gear Solid, why can't it happen in another game? Secondly I believe that artistic integrity is a very commendable path if it isn't simply an excuse for laziness.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Isn't the game a flashback of the woman's life, while she's in a coma? So, I'm guessing the morphine affects her in the real world, somehow giving here 'slo-mo' in her memories.

Jul 9, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
They appear to be trying to challenge Bayonetta for the title of stupidest and most exploitative new series of 2009.
Ugh. Don't even speak of Bayonetta.
Ugh, I thought I was the only one who'd heard of Bayonetta. And I was profoundly glad of that.