Warhammer 40,000 Conquest Living Card Game Coming This Year

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Warhammer 40,000 Conquest Living Card Game Coming This Year

The game is playable as Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, and Chaos factions.

Continuing in their quest to make a living card game out of everything they possibly can, Fantasy Flight Games has announced Warhammer 40,000: Conquest. Including seven(!?) factions from the Warhammer 40k universe, the game will have players building decks and going head to head to conquer planets. Players will deploy units to various planets, and those units will then go head-to-head with other for victory. It looks relatively standard for Fantasy Flight's games, with the twist of having multiple battlefields - perhaps a mechanic cribbed, to a degree, from their Call of Cthulhu living card game. Interestingly, the game will include a variety of Commander cards, with each deck taking on a specific persona for that faction along with a number of required "squad cards" for their deck along with it. There is currently a base game announced for Quarter 3 of 2014, with expansions planned but not announced. The base game will include over two hundred cards - suitable for a card game with seven unique factions.

[gallery=2227]

As is standard for many of FFG's living card games, factions will be able to draw cards from another suitably themed faction - sort of strange for the 40k universe, but when can beggars be choosers? If Fantasy Flight is able to take some of the design lessons learned from Netrunner forward into this game, we might just get a great card game and not a repeat of the deeply underwhelming Horus Heresy card game. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus_Heresy_%28card_game%29]

You can find the official Fantasy Flight Games website for Conquest here [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=261&esem=1].

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I guess GW is so out of ideas they'll start peeking at Privateer Press' playbook. Not that I mind if the game is good.

Sadly this also confirms my long held belief that GW hates Tyranids players.

Aug 31, 2012
Warhammer 40K game...hooray! ...it's a card game...hooroo.

When FFG brink out an Ork Quest expansion to one of their DH family RPGs then give me a call.

Still, glad to have the tabletop news, keep it up!

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Vivi22 said:
I guess GW is so out of ideas they'll start peeking at Privateer Press' playbook. Not that I mind if the game is good.

Privateer Press made a Deck Building Game, not a Living Card Game. Games Workshop is just doing to 40k what they'd already done to fantasy.
Since it's not actually GW that's making this game, I have some hope that it might actually be balanced, and that would be great. I do hope that Fantasy Flight bucks tradition and actually includes playsets of everything in the core set. It's just weird that every other product besides the core set comes with the maximum number of copies of each card, but the base game does not.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ccggenius12 said:
Vivi22 said:

Privateer Press made a Deck Building Game, not a Living Card Game. Games Workshop is just doing to 40k what they'd already done to fantasy.
Since it's not actually GW that's making this game, I have some hope that it might actually be balanced, and that would be great. I do hope that Fantasy Flight bucks tradition and actually includes playsets of everything in the core set. It's just weird that every other product besides the core set comes with the maximum number of copies of each card, but the base game does not.
And then they bring out the Grey Knights expansion 2 years later and EVERYTHING GOES TO POT!

Eh, I do like me some 40k lore and this might be a cheaper alternative to the cripplingly expensive model game so... we'll see what happens.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hey now, be nice. FFG is actually one of the better companies handling the 40K license at the moment. They've added a lot of fluff that can't be found elsewhere, and they aren't quite so much in the business of dicking with their customers.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
MinionJoe said:
And just how overpriced will this particular offering be?

I'm betting a 5-card booster will run about $15USD.

They did have some pricing information. For $39.95USD you get:

?over two-hundred player cards split across seven factions
?10 planet cards
?40 token cards
?64 tokens for tracking damage, resources, and more
?two servo-skull command dials
So, not quite the $3/card that I was expecting.
Since it's FFG, I'd expect full expansions to be pretty reasonably and competitively priced at about $30 for ~150-175 cards. Monthly or Bimonthly expansions of 60 cards at $15. Their prices are usually quite good and I doubt GW has any creative control here about prices.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MinionJoe said:
And just how overpriced will this particular offering be?

I'm betting a 5-card booster will run about $15USD.

They did have some pricing information. For $39.95USD you get:

?over two-hundred player cards split across seven factions
?10 planet cards
?40 token cards
?64 tokens for tracking damage, resources, and more
?two servo-skull command dials
So, not quite the $3/card that I was expecting.

Also in GW news, the new Horus Heresy novels are being released in "trade paperback" format. Which means they'll be 1.5x the size and 2x the price. The older novels are also being rereleased in this format. Same content, inconvenient size, twice the price.

No wonder the company is failing.
FFG just wrapped up the Warhammer: Invasion line, that was originally 40 card, non-random packs for 10 bucks, and they later bumped that to 60 for $15, which seems to be the standard. As it is they're using that format with Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Netrunner and a couple other games.

They also pump out a ~165 card non-random box for $30 a couple times a year. As the CCG format goes, it's ludicrously cheap. As in, a complete collection of everything Warhammer Invasion has run me a couple hundred bucks, at retail. Compared to, say, Magic, where each release will set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Vivi22 said:

Necrons and 'nids are both missing. Judging by how Invasion worked, and Call of Cthulhu does work, I'd expect to see them both in a deluxe set before 2016.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'm an unrepentant 40K nerd so color me interested.

But I've been out of the TCG game for a very long time (Thallid tokens everywhere!)
What makes this a "Living" Card Game exactly?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
I'm an unrepentant 40K nerd so color me interested.

But I've been out of the TCG game for a very long time (Thallid tokens everywhere!)
What makes this a "Living" Card Game exactly?
Aside from that FFG actually has it as a trademark... they're completely non-random. The core set will have a completely fixed distribution of cards, and they release monthly 60 card packs that have three copies of twenty new cards.(Star Wars works a little differently, because of the objective set system.) Promo cards are exclusively alternate art cards. The packs and boxed sets are kept in print, so there's no limited releases. (Though, Warhammer: Invasion might be headed out of print one of these days. Since it's been ended.)

Core sets do not reliably contain playsets. Most have a mixed frequency of cards with some appearing once, and others appearing two or three times (again, this is all fixed, so every complete core set will be identical.) (And, again, Star Wars works a little differently. It contains 38 objective sets. But only two of those are duplicates.)

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
Vivi22 said:

Privateer Press made a Deck Building Game, not a Living Card Game.
According to Fantasy Flights page on what Living Card Games are all about on their website (a core set of cards you can play the game with and monthly expansions offering new cards, new options, and new potential decks), Privateer Press' High Command games would qualify. Whether it's a deck building game or not seems to be irrelevant since they only mention their business model as being the important part.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Vivi22 said:
According to Fantasy Flights page on what Living Card Games are all about on their website (a core set of cards you can play the game with and monthly expansions offering new cards, new options, and new potential decks), Privateer Press' High Command games would qualify. Whether it's a deck building game or not seems to be irrelevant since they only mention their business model as being the important part.
OK, if the definitions of the two game types mean squat to you, then how about this, Games Workshop did it first. Warhammer: Invasion started production in '09. High Command only started production last year.
I would like to note that there IS a difference between Deck Building Game and LCG business models. With a deckbuilding game, only one person needs to own everything for a game group to have a complete experience, it plays like a boardgame. An LCG is like Magic: the Gathering, everyone who wants to play needs their own stuff. One of those business models seems far more profitable to me, I'll leave it to you to figure out which one I mean.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ccggenius12 said:
Vivi22 said:
OK, if the definitions of the two game types mean squat to you, then how about this, Games Workshop did it first. Warhammer: Invasion started production in '09. High Command only started production last year.
I would like to note that there IS a difference between Deck Building Game and LCG business models. With a deckbuilding game, only one person needs to own everything for a game group to have a complete experience, it plays like a boardgame. An LCG is like Magic: the Gathering, everyone who wants to play needs their own stuff. One of those business models seems far more profitable to me, I'll leave it to you to figure out which one I mean.
Close, but not quite. As I understand it... and I could be wrong here. A deckbuilding game is actually the game format, and works off the same mechanics as... I think Dominion? So, players build the deck during the game. The closest CCGs and LCGs get to this is competitive drafting, but that's not the game itself.

LCGs are games where the player builds their deck before the game starts. Technically you could have a deckbuilding LCG, there just isn't one.

Also, at least with Star Wars, only one player actually needs to have the cards. In standard format light and dark players can't use each other's card pools in deck construction, and in multiplayer (via Balance of the Force), deck construction limits apply to all players. (So, if you have a pod that's limited to one per deck, no one else can use a copy.) So a single card pool is enough for everyone.

That's not true of Game of Thrones or Invasion. I don't know about Call of Cthulhu, Netrunner, or LotR, though.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
I'm not sure how you can say the definitions of the two game types mean squat to me when you never elaborated on how a LCG differs from a deck building game until just now, and Fantasy Flight Games own website has a page defining a LCG and none of it ever mentions anything other than the business model of selling a complete core game and monthly expansions. Exactly the thing that High Command does as well.

Never mind that the same page mentions that the core game they sell in their LCG model contains everything you need for two players to have a complete experience. I'm not sure how that jives with your statement that everyone who wants to play needs their own stuff, but it seems to directly contradict one of your main points. Point being though, for someone getting so uppity over my understanding of the definitions, you haven't done a very good job of explaining how they differ. At all.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This is funny timing, I just got the core set for their Game of Thrones LCG, played it last night and was really fun. Would give this a try if it had Orks in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if imperial factions get most if not all the favor. Seems to always be the case lately.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
This is funny timing, I just got the core set for their Game of Thrones LCG, played it last night and was really fun. Would give this a try if it had Orks in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if imperial factions get most if not all the favor. Seems to always be the case lately.
For whatever it's worth, Invasion ran very close on overall faction balance. IIRC, High Elves and Dark Elves ended up a card or two shorter, when the run was over. Wood Elves, Skaven, Undead, and Lizardmen got screwed equally, but FFG's pretty good about faction balance (at least on a quantity side).