LucasFilm Games "Did It Anyway, and It Worked!"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
LucasFilm Games "Did It Anyway, and It Worked!"

At the start of the video game industry in the early 80s, George Lucas invested in game development and let them do whatever they wanted.

Read Full Article

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
It would be incredible to have a "think tank" section of game development from big studios like EA or Activision whose sole purpose is to come up with weirdly unique games and concepts.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Greg Tito said:
LucasFilm Games was told they couldn't work on any Star Wars games. "I wanted [Rescue at Fractalus] to be a Star Wars game and I was told right off the bat that I couldn't do that," Langston said, and he was pissed off at first. "I joined the company because I wanted to be in Star Wars."
It's funny how LucasArts used to refuse Star Wars games, but now they are almost the only type they're willing to make. That one change in mentality changed things a ton.

Trishbot said:
It would be incredible to have a "think tank" section of game development from big studios like EA or Activision whose sole purpose is to come up with weirdly unique games and concepts.
It seems that is what Ubisoft is kind of doing with UbiArt. It's an internal indie studio that gives the devs a creative outlet to escape the sequelization that happens on their biggest projects. Child of Light exists because a dev's little girl came to him and asked why there weren't any girl heros... so he went to UbiArt and made it, with Ubisoft's blessing. It has a smaller budget, but pretty much complete creative freedom.

It's not exactly 'brand new' ideas, but it's exciting to see a few of the big publishers sending small teams off to make what are essentially 'AAA indie games'. Someone is going to bite my head of for saying that, but it still stands.