Self-Help

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Self-Help

It's a one step program. Two if they're a little further away.

Read Full Article

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
My favorite self help book is always Star Signals. I never completed it, but it was fun for a while.

Chapter 2, Section 3: ?The Hole You Exist Around?
Do you feel a void in your life? Everyone does, whether they know it or not. Think about it. You can feel it inside you right now: a heavy emptiness in the middle of your chest. It?s a reflection of the one in your existence, like particles in quantum entanglement. Do you remember how we talked about quantum entanglement? Nod ?yes?. Yes, you do. Yes, you feel the emptiness.
This is good. It?s a blank slot waiting for you to fill it up with your deepest desire until your deepest desire is pushing up into your throat. You will gag on your need. And until you do, it is a resonation space, for you to build your will like organ music in a cathedral. Hear the music now. This is not a metaphor. If your will is strong enough, there will be music now. Remember now that nothing in this book is a metaphor.

Chapter 5, ?End of Act One?, Section 4: ?Two Days?
If you have read this book correctly, and you have, tomorrow is the start of the weekend. Savor it. The five-day work week is an artifact of your world. (You?ll find out all about that on Monday.) During the next two days, put this book down. Don?t pick it up. Yes, this means two days without your star exercises. Yes, this means that, for two days, your will is not going to be with you. Don?t even think about it after the end of this sentence. Your will is being used for your good.

Chapter 6, ?The Fifth World?, Section 2: ?The Fifth Reason?
In your current society, you are encouraged to ?be yourself?, as if this is the key to making your desires real. What does that mean? It doesn?t mean anything. You can?t be anyone other than yourself. If you were to be someone else, you would still be ?you?, and ?you? would be someone who is someone else. There is no getting out from under existence. Because you can?t be anyone else, it stands to reason that, if you want change in your reality, it is the world that must change to suit you. You must mold your phenomenological landscape into one where all your goals are achieved.
Now imagine that the place where your desires are made real has a name. It?s called the Fifth World. The Fifth World is the cosmos twisted around you into the shape you will wish for. It has never been, but you can make it so. If the current world is like a tight, collared suit, then the Fifth World is like a flowing robe that allows complete freedom of movement. You will never truly move before you move in the Fifth World. You?ll feel like a square on a piece of paper who was only just tlaol about up and down.

Chapter 9, ?Do Not Look Away From The Book?, Section 3, ?Here and Now?:
Some helpful advice that will save you in your coming weeks:
Mirrors are for other people.
Sit in a dark room by yourself for at least an hour per day. Move around as much as you?re made to.
If you feel yourself developing a soul, go outside immediately and follow the direction of the smoke until you meet them.
Always listen for the sound slon of trwoll plr mlgn thei.
Love the archons. When you hate them, they see you.

Chapter 10, ?You Cannot Wake Up?, Section 1:
Slon tlir na tlei obr Fifth. Tla slon plr children tln tlo sacp tlei.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Objectable said:
My favorite self help book is always Star Signals. I never completed it, but it was fun for a while.

Do you feel a void in your life? Everyone does, whether they know it or not. Think about it. You can feel it inside you right now: a heavy emptiness in the middle of your chest. It?s a reflection of the one in your existence, like particles in quantum entanglement. Do you remember how we talked about quantum entanglement? Nod ?yes?. Yes, you do. Yes, you feel the emptiness.
This is good. It?s a blank slot waiting for you to fill it up with your deepest desire until your deepest desire is pushing up into your throat. You will gag on your need. And until you do, it is a resonation space, for you to build your will like organ music in a cathedral. Hear the music now. This is not a metaphor. If your will is strong enough, there will be music now. Remember now that nothing in this book is a metaphor.

If you have read this book correctly, and you have, tomorrow is the start of the weekend. Savor it. The five-day work week is an artifact of your world. (You?ll find out all about that on Monday.) During the next two days, put this book down. Don?t pick it up. Yes, this means two days without your star exercises. Yes, this means that, for two days, your will is not going to be with you. Don?t even think about it after the end of this sentence. Your will is being used for your good.

In your current society, you are encouraged to ?be yourself?, as if this is the key to making your desires real. What does that mean? It doesn?t mean anything. You can?t be anyone other than yourself. If you were to be someone else, you would still be ?you?, and ?you? would be someone who is someone else. There is no getting out from under existence. Because you can?t be anyone else, it stands to reason that, if you want change in your reality, it is the world that must change to suit you. You must mold your phenomenological landscape into one where all your goals are achieved.
Now imagine that the place where your desires are made real has a name. It?s called the Fifth World. The Fifth World is the cosmos twisted around you into the shape you will wish for. It has never been, but you can make it so. If the current world is like a tight, collared suit, then the Fifth World is like a flowing robe that allows complete freedom of movement. You will never truly move before you move in the Fifth World. You?ll feel like a square on a piece of paper who was only just tlaol about up and down.

Sit in a dark room by yourself for at least an hour per day. Move around as much as you?re made to.
If you feel yourself developing a soul, go outside immediately and follow the direction of the smoke until you meet them.

W-wait. Is this serious? Like, is this a real book that you can pay actual money for?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Under_your_bed said:
Objectable said:

W-wait. Is this serious? Like, is this a real book that you can pay actual money for?

You have to keep calm. Take a good, deep breath. Remember what the man said. Stars may die in threes, but worlds die in fives. Like insects injected with maggots.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tag: "There is no life on Planet Testicle"

I can't wait for someone to search that at random in the future and an official Escapist article pops up.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Renegade-pizza said:
I wish I could be one of those chipper people that piss everyone off with their happiness
Same here.

I don't understand when we started to celebrate cynicism and negativity, but man - I wish it's just a stage and people get over it.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Renegade-pizza said:
I wish I could be one of those chipper people that piss everyone off with their happiness
I find really chipper people to be slightly aggressive. As though, it's not enough for them to just be in a good mood, everyone else must be in a good mood. As someone who's default face is blank, rather than smiling, it really gets on my tits to have people demanding that I 'cheer up'. I'm not unhappy, or I wasn't, piss off. Even if I was unhappy, I might have a damn good reason for it. It doesn't come across as empathetic, it comes across as demanding and a bit selfish.

Although, they aren't as annoying as the opposite. The people who feel the need to rain on everybody's parade and ruin genuine good moods.

I try to go for general amiableness.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Same here.

I don't understand when we started to celebrate cynicism and negativity, but man - I wish it's just a stage and people get over it.
We found out that that "better world" the baby boomers built was full of shit, and we'll be the ones left to pick up the tab.

Chances are the next generation will get over it once they start rebelling against us.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
SKBPinkie said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Same here.

One of those persons here. It's mostly an act to hide crippling depression.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Objectable said:
How did you successfully smuggle a book out of the Night Vale Public Library?

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
My mom got way into this thing called "The Secret" for a while. Positive thinking leads to positive things, you have to visualize what you want in life etc. What a load of crap. Nobody can argue that positive thinking can be a great thing but I can visualize a house on the beach all day if I want to. Without actually taking the steps to make that happen it will never happen regardless of how positive I am about it.

There is also a very negative side. When you do everything these self help programs want you to do and nothing good comes of it you can be left even more damaged and broken then you were before hand. Then the supporters will turn around and say you just didn't try hard or long enough. Reminds me of the super religious claiming bad things happen to good people because they didn't pray hard enough. Ultimately self help can actually help some people but trying to change your whole life to some new standard that worked for some people is probably a bad idea. Just try to separate the good from everything else and don't get sucked into an all or nothing situation.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
I've never identified with a webcomic character more than right now. Although,I am personally have more hate for ones who think they're Baldwin in Glen Ross.
On a side note, dude's face on a second panel is badly drawn.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Same here.

A little bit of cynicism is fine; sometime we all need a reality check every now and then. But yeah, it's kinda gotten to a point where the internet seems to get off on it. Just as obnoxious if not more so than the annoyingly chipper types.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Ooouch- why did she have to hit him in the nuts? >.<

Couldn't she have punched him in the face or something non-gender-specific.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Yeah, kicking a few select people in the balls daily in the morning would make me happier too.