Psycho-Pass "Restarting" with Season 2 in October

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Psycho-Pass "Restarting" with Season 2 in October

<youtube=Ob2y3e89F94>​
In addition to the second season, the original Psycho-Pass will have a "new edit version" of the 2012 anime and the Psycho-Pass movie next winter.

Psycho-Pass 2, the follow-up to 2012 anime Psycho-Pass, will air in October, TV programming block noitaminA and Fuji TV announced in a noitaminA event today. Prior to the second season, a "new edit version" of the original Psycho-Pass anime series will air in July, a Psycho-Pass movie will follow both TV series next winter.

NoitaminA released the first trailer (including spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched the first season) for Psycho-Pass 2, but it's more of a teaser than anything else. Beginning with the end of the first season and rapidly rewinding back through the series' events, the teaser dubs the new version of the first anime "Project Re:START 02" and the next season to be "Project Re:START 03."

Psycho-Pass is a 22-episode TV anime series taking place in a dystopia where technology has made it possible to instantly measure a person's mental state and Crime Coefficient, a likelihood to commit crimes, through a Psycho-Pass. The state uses this to assess people's career aptitudes, placing Akane Tsunemori into the Public Safety Bureau's Criminal Investigation Division as its newest inspector. The Public Safety Bureau uses guns that can only fire on people with a Crime Coefficient that is too high. The new version of the first TV series will be recut to be 11 one-hour episodes with new footage.

Source: Anime News Network [http://psycho-pass.com/news/140321_03.html]

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
This will be awesome, I loved Psycho-Pass and I hope the second season really builds on the world and characters, particularly Tsunemori.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
GamerMage said:
Izanagi009 said:
This will be awesome, I loved Psycho-Pass and I hope the second season really builds on the world and characters, particularly Tsunemori.
Mind telling me a little more abiut it? It looks cool enough, but I'd like to know more before I start watching.
Long story short, the crime coefficient determines how likely people are going to commit a crime. Akane is part of a department that uses some of these "likely" people as hunting dogs to help track others with the possibility to commit the crime. The show illustrates how such a system can go horribly wrong and what some people can do to manipulate the system

edit, yeah, I can't say much because watching the show is part of the surprise

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
So the first season was bad huh? I mean at that intro where it talks about destiny and some such I quit watching I just couldnt handle all the cliche. I might give this edit a chance though.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I liked the first season, although I consider it one of Urobuchi's weakest projects (Although I haven't seen Blassreiter yet.) I'm curious about this new edit, though, and will check out the second season. Hopefully it's better, as the first season never quite grabbed me like Urobuchi's other works.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
[Kira Must Die said:
]I liked the first season, although I consider it one of Urobuchi's weakest projects (Although I haven't seen Blassreiter yet.) I'm curious about this new edit, though, and will check out the second season. Hopefully it's better, as the first season never quite grabbed me like Urobuchi's other works.
The question becomes what will the edits be about: cosmetic things, character arcs, more detials on the crimes?

Regardless, I still think that even though it may be a weak anime for Urobuchi, it still beats crap that we have out now like "recently, my sister is unusual" of "GJ club". We should at least reward the fact that a show like that came out

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Whoever is in charge of advertising the first season collection should be fired. Grating, unintelligible sound accompanied with flashing is not how you get my interest.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
oh so that is what the this anime with the weird ad is about. I deiced I will never watch it or look it up this anime. That is main due just spiting the advertisers due to seeing the ads to many times and it becoming annoying as a result. or maybe it's the escapist fault for not having a higher variety of ads for their videos.

I have anime backlog and big game backlog I need to fully go though them first before reconsider the idea of never seeing it. There is no restrictions to adding more games or other anime to my current backlog either.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
i liked a lot despite its flaws, sure its not perfect but i dont think ive seen anithing "better" since 2012 so the standard is lowering or my taste is getting out of control refined?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
Long story short, the crime coefficient determines how likely people are going to commit a crime. Akane is part of a department that uses some of these "likely" people as hunting dogs to help track others with the possibility to commit the crime. The show illustrates how such a system can go horribly wrong and what some people can do to manipulate the system

Sounds like Minority Report: the Anime.
Might check it out, though ;)

"noitaminA"
OMG!!! These guys must be SO best friends with Alucard! <3
*rolls eyes several times*

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
GamerMage said:
Izanagi009 said:
GamerMage said:
Izanagi009 said:
Mind telling me a little more abiut it? It looks cool enough, but I'd like to know more before I start watching.

So, it's basically an anime version of "Minority Report"?
Well kinda you could say, but no psychics in it and in my opinion it is actually a good watch where Minority Report just was meh to me...

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
So the first season was bad huh? I mean at that intro where it talks about destiny and some such I quit watching I just couldnt handle all the cliche. I might give this edit a chance though.
Actually it was really good that it gained enough money for a second season and movie to be produced soon. Also if you just watched the first episode only, then I can see why you may been turned off, but it is good if you actually give it a chance. Also the english dub changes some of the words and makes it sound dumber in parts than the japanese subbed version and sadly the dub seems to lack some of the emotion that is done by the voice actors. Also the trailer they did for the english dub is complee crap and makes the show look stupid and not what it actually is. They really screwed up the english advertisement on this series sadly.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
From comments above, I'm getting the sense that it's been very poorly advertised in English. I literally just finished it yesterday, and would heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction, even if they don't necessarilly enjoy anime. It is a steadily-paced detective thriller in a science fiction environment. The environment and story are its strong points - I feel it would have made an excellent book, for instance, but as an anime it also does a good job.

Basic premise: Technology advanced to a point where computers are able to scan people to determine their mental state and their likelihood to commit crimes, and people who are determined to be too high risk are detained by law in psychiatric facilities/prisons, until they recover, which some never do. And like good science fiction, we spend a great deal of time being able to see how this change in technology affects different areas of society. And as you might imagine, a society that makes it a crime to be criminally inclined has a lot of potential for dystopia, which is one of my favourite kinds of science fiction. And, rather than just leaving the science fiction elements be and fill the background of the story, each new element of the story explores it deeper, either by showing a new way that technology has altered society, or by diving deeper into one examined earlier.

Now, if you're just a fan of anime, it might/might not be to your taste - it dodges some of what I find are the worse excesses of anime (minimal/no fanservice, no episode-long screaming monologues), but it also doesn't necessarilly play to the strengths that anime can have over other mediums, so depending on how you like your anime, it might or might not be for you. But if you like good science fiction, or better yet, a good science fiction mystery/thriller, then you should really check it out.

As to this news, a new cut with additional scenes sounds... interesting, I guess. I mean, I enjoyed it as is, so I'm not sure if it'll improve things, but it might well. And if it doesn't, well, I still have the original. The movie, well, I've never been big on movies, so not super enthusiastic there, but a second series? Hell yes, sign me up.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Having seen the first season and knowing what the hell they're talking about, I am naturally looking forward to it.

Also: Spooky-Boogie.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Yesyeyesyes, can't wait!

Also, a new recut of the original tv series will be nice. Sounds like P-P fans are in for a double treat.