Obsidian and Paradox Is a Match for All Eternity

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Obsidian and Paradox Is a Match for All Eternity

The partnership between the two independent companies will allow the Kickstarted Pillars of Eternity flourish, according to CEOs Feargus Urquhart and Fredrik Wester.

Read Full Article

dmonkoff

Jan 30, 2013
While I really looking forward to this game, there is still so little information about it.
What rpg system does it use?
How combat works?
What is this game about( is it epic adventure with a lot of character interactions like BG or something more dungeon crawling like icewind dale)?
I really want to know more...

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
dmonkoff said:
While I really looking forward to this game, there is still so little information about it.
How combat works?
What is this game about( is it epic adventure with a lot of character interactions like BG or something more dungeon crawling like icewind dale)?
What RPG System? A proprietary one developed by Obsidian. It isn't D&D or any PnP.

How Combat? It's live action with pause while controlling multiple characters simultaneously (like baldur's gate).

What's it about? I have less info about this, I want to say it's more like Baldur's Gate than Icewind Dale, but that's mostly my personal preferences peaking through.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
dmonkoff said:
How combat works?
So little information...?
Just earlier this week, I got update #74 on the game. And each of the updates are lengthy, with plenty of explanation about what they're doing. As far as I'm aware, no other game has ever had this much communication with its audience prior to release of an alpha/beta/full game. This information is not only available, it's actively handed out to anyone who wants it. If you have ANY inclination to know more about this game, just google 'Eternity'. That is literally all you have to do.

In fact, here, I'll save you the grueling task of doing it yourself; http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I have very high hopes for this game and my faith is strong with them in giving me a complete and polish RPG to rekindle the love I hold for games like Bauldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
So a buggy, unfinished RPG with a vertical learning curve and rousing battle spreadsheets? :p

It does look interesting though, in all seriousness.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I didn't really give it much thought but Paradox do actually publish an interesting catalog of titles, if only for letting many of its studios "do its thing", since they themselves do theirs to the audience that they, not shameless "broad appeal". I can't get into their grand strategy games as of now but I do like that they are there.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
you got 4 million freakin' dollars from people on kickstarter, how even dare say something THIS fucking stupid:

"they both agreed that this kind of partnership might be the only way a niche game concept like Eternity might actually get installed on players' computers."

i have no words, you guys are idiots, actually i dont give a crap about this partnership, but if this is the reason why its happening, it makes so sense

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
NuclearKangaroo said:
you got 4 million freakin' dollars from people on kickstarter, how even dare say something THIS fucking stupid:

"they both agreed that this kind of partnership might be the only way a niche game concept like Eternity might actually get installed on players' computers."

i have no words, you guys are idiots, actually i dont give a crap about this partnership, but if this is the reason why its happening, it makes so sense
it is happening so that Obsidian can focus on the game and all of the money goes to the game, while Paradox will deal with fulfillment of the various backer stuff, like if you paid enough to get a physical copy of the game, a map, a art book, etc. Paradox will be the ones flipping the bill for all of that stuff. Paradox will also be responsible for advertising, and taking care of the steam and GOG licensing. this way all of the cash goes to the game instead of miscellaneous nick nacks, licensing, and advertising.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Be still my beating heart. This sounds like a beautiful match.

I confess to being a total Obsidian fanboy, if only because in an era where RPG seems to refer to a linear experience where you're character can do everything off the bat and upgrades are only unnecessary but cool bonuses, Obsidian seems to actually get where WRPGs shined; a detailed world to explore, important choices, and making character specialization count. Paradox seems to come from a similar vein. Their games may not be for everyone but they don't water the experience down in order to get that "wider audience" bull crap.

"Niche" is a dirty word to most publishers because it means "this isn't a clone of a game that sold at least 6 million copies in it's first week and we are incapable of coming up with a budget of less than $50 million".

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Keiichi Morisato said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

it is happening so that Obsidian can focus on the game and all of the money goes to the game, while Paradox will deal with fulfillment of the various backer stuff, like if you paid enough to get a physical copy of the game, a map, a art book, etc. Paradox will be the ones flipping the bill for all of that stuff. Paradox will also be responsible for advertising, and taking care of the steam and GOG licensing. this way all of the cash goes to the game instead of miscellaneous nick nacks, licensing, and advertising.
oh, i see