BioWare Introduces Dragon Age: Inquisition's Vivienne

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
BioWare Introduces Dragon Age: Inquisition's Vivienne

BioWare follows up on its character kit on Vivienne it released a few weeks ago.

BioWare has already given Dragon Age fans an idea of what Inquisition's new character Vivienne is like, but today's BioWare blog post formally introduces Vivienne as the Madame de Fer.

The "Lady of Iron" is the official enchanter to the Imperial court and a leader among mages. Vivienne is a cunning woman who's skilled at politics. Others call her a "social climber," but she does not allow those people or anyone else stand in her way. Despite being a mage, she refuses to join a rebellion with other mages. She fights to bring balance back to the world gone mad.

[gallery=2251]

BioWare's third character kit, released earlier this month, breaks down Vivienne's costume for any interested cosplayers hoping to take on Vivienne's fashion sense - a fashion sense that is very Orlesian. Vivienne dresses neither for comfort nor for purpose. "Leave the stained tunics and rough cloaks to the commoners and their mud farms-a proper Orlesian climbs mountains in her evening gown, standing taller at the summit in her formidable high-heeled shoes," her character kit reads [http://blog.bioware.com/2014/03/07/character-kit-3-vivienne/]. Should she wear armor, she believes it should be hidden under fine fabrics, "for steel alone will not protect you from the barbed tongues of Orlais."

BioWare will release more details about Vivienne this Wednesday. Each month BioWare will provide a look into one of the new followers players will meet. Dragon Age: Inquisition launches this fall.

Source: BioWare [http://blog.bioware.com/2014/03/24/introduction-to-vivienne/]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Her outfit is pretty creepy. Gives me some serious Maleficent vibes.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
That outfit is really silly, but it definitely fits into canon regarding Orlais's fashion trends, and the hat means I won't have to put up with elaborate hair textures. I also like that they're actually putting in a woman who is clearly black, as opposed to the "ambiguously brown" thing fantasy usually pulls.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
the hat reminds me of Flemeth.

Edit: looks kinda dragon inspired.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
hm. is it just me or does everything in this new generation so far look kind of weird and shiny and plastic-ish?

sort of like at the beginning of the last gen. I thought that's what they invented subsurface scattering for.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Johny_X2 said:
hm. is it just me or does everything in this new generation so far look kind of weird and shiny and plastic-ish?

sort of like at the beginning of the last gen. I thought that's what they invented subsurface scattering for.
All I know is I wish they'd kept the slightly cartoony style from Dragon Age II. I'll take identity over realism any day of the week.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
-Ezio- said:
the hat reminds me of Flemeth.

Edit: looks kinda dragon inspired.
When I saw the first batch of gameplay videos I thought it was Flemeth.

Of course, she'd be entirely too OP to be a playable character, but still, just the banter she'd have with the characters and her daughter would be golden. I hope she at least has a cameo appearance like in DA 2.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
You forgot to mention that she is a strong empowered womyn who don't need no man and the protagonist can have some fade to black sexy time within a few conversations; either that or she is a lesbian and will mention it constantly.

Because Bioware.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
Toilet said:
You forgot to mention that she is a strong empowered womyn who don't need no man and the protagonist can have some fade to black sexy time within a few conversations; either that or she is a lesbian and will mention it constantly.

Because Bioware.
That's the first impression I got, after reading the rather odd quote of 'hers' about her wardrobe. This is the strong independent female to fill out the first slot of the cultural/racial/gender diverse rainbow that will be this game's NPC party.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Damn, nice... character design.

Toilet said:

Because Bioware.
Maybe you have to imagine the characters to have more conversations then just the ones you witness :3
After all they're travelling together form one part of the country to another (DA1) or there's a time span of what, six years(DA2)?
I don't think the sexy time is the problem. People have sex all the time with just a few conversations >.<
It's rather that they fall for you too easily like in some harem anime.
Then again, a representation of reality is most of the time not what I seek in games and anime.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
I wonder if anyone will complain about the impracticality of the suit, despite its lack of overt sexual impression.
Hi! That'd be me. Though most of my issue comes from the fact that the headdress just looks silly, and the shoulder and appear to be laminated on. Also, the collar is just a bit much, as it would completely make the ability to check behind you, over your shoulder, impossible, as all you'd see is fabric. If they took off the headpiece, toned down the collar, and made the shoulders and breast look a bit less platey, I'd think it'd be pretty decent.

Then again, I've also got no interest in this game or Bioware since Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me. I don't intend on allowing the third to happen.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago Ted said:
Smilomaniac said:
I wonder if anyone will complain about the impracticality of the suit, despite its lack of overt sexual impression.
Hi! That'd be me. Though most of my issue comes from the fact that the headdress just looks silly, and the shoulder and appear to be laminated on. Also, the collar is just a bit much, as it would completely make the ability to check behind you, over your shoulder, impossible, as all you'd see is fabric. If they took off the headpiece, toned down the collar, and made the shoulders and breast look a bit less platey, I'd think it'd be pretty decent.

Then again, I've also got no interest in this game or Bioware since Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me. I don't intend on allowing the third to happen.
The outfit makes perfect sense to me though, in terms of Orlais. This is a country built around appearance and 'The Game' and the game doesn't make much sense, but everyone has to play. Remember, Leliana told you how, in order for one woman to outshine everyone else in the city, she wore live birds in her hair. This outfit may not be practical to us, but in Orlais I can guarantee that seeing this woman in this outfit screams, "Don't mess with me," and no one gives it a second though.

Now, if someone in the game who is not from that country calls her on it (Er...how do you see when you turn your head?) that would be hilarious.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Booooring. I'm getting desperately annoyed by BW design decisions. The game seems to have all flaws of DA:O with zero of its redeeming values.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Still waiting for my beta access to Dragon Age Keep EA. I signed up day one when that site went up and I still see no new of it having started.

Please let me get excite about DA3.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I actually really like the foreign looking outfit, crazy fashion is certainly what they attribute to orlais and it's cool that they show it.

It's also cool we finally get a mage who's not all caught up in the mage-templar conflict.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nobuoa Schniell said:
Toilet said:

Because Bioware.
That's the first impression I got, after reading the rather odd quote of 'hers' about her wardrobe. This is the strong independent female to fill out the first slot of the cultural/racial/gender diverse rainbow that will be this game's NPC party.
I'm not sure whether you're portraying that as a negative or positive thing. If negative, what would you propose they do.