Classic NES Scenes Recreated in Digital Papercraft

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Classic NES Scenes Recreated in Digital Papercraft

Steph Caskenette has transformed scenes from Metroid, Mega Man and more into gorgeous digital papercraft art.

For many people the days of the NES were definitive ones giving spawn to memories and fandoms that have lived on through the decades and helped define who they were as gamers. That in mind, it's no wonder that many have gone on to create art paying tribute to the console and its classic and beloved library.

Take the Montreal-based artist Steph Caskenette. Caskenette <a href=https://www.behance.net/gallery/NEStalgia/15301377>recently released a gallery of digitally created papercraft art recreating classic scenes from famous NES games. Among the games featured are Metroid, Kirby's Adventure, Zelda 2, Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man and Dragon Warrior. Caskenette also created a papercraft version of the world map from Super Mario World which, of course, was an SNES release rather than an NES one. Even so, we're not going to argue with an extra art piece based on one of the best platformers ever made.

[gallery=2258]

If you're immediate reaction to all of this is a resounding "I want it," don't worry because we're right there with you there. Luckily, prints of Cakenette's art available for purchased at <a ref=http://www.redbubble.com/people/stephcaskenette>Redbubble. Just personally, I'd very much like to get myself a copy of the Zelda 2 piece. Let us know what your favorites are and which additional games you'd like to see given a similar treatment in the future.

Source: <a href=https://www.behance.net/gallery/NEStalgia/15301377>Behance

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Not all of it is NES but also some SNES (e.g. that worldmap is Super Mario World).
Still looks cool. Would proably be more impressive if some of that would be ACTUAL papercraft instead of digital but some isn't possible otherwise.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My first reaction was indeed "I want it," but not in reference to prints. I'd love to see all those games shown redone in that art style, the images are just that good. Kudos to the artist.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
My first reaction was indeed "I want it," but not in reference to prints. I'd love to see all those games shown redone in that art style, the images are just that good. Kudos to the artist.
That would be pretty amazing. Where's Nintendo? They need to hear this million dollar idea so they can ignore it and release another console no one wants!

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
StewShearer said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
That would be pretty amazing. Where's Nintendo? They need to hear this million dollar idea so they can ignore it and release another console no one wants!
I dunno if it's such a great asthetic for a game. It would have to be a lot cleaner, if you ask me. The images depicted show a significant amount of wrinkles and a lot of visual noise. While coupled with the lighting on the castlevania one, it looks absolutely astonishing and easily replicable in the game engine I'm learning right now, I'm not sure this exact style would be best for a game that's more action based, like most of the games depicted here.