Sony Confirms Layoffs at UK Game Studios

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony Confirms Layoffs at UK Game Studios

Actual numbers aren't known, but many people from each of the three affected studios are thought to have been made redundant.

Sony has confirmed layoffs at three UK game studios: Evolution (MotorStorm, DriveClub), Guerrilla Cambridge (LittleBigPlanet PS portable), and SCE London (The Playroom PS4). Actual numbers have yet to be confirmed, but are expected to be significant. Sony has also confirmed that the development of delayed former PS4 launch title DriveClub [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128818-Yoshida-DriveClub-Wont-Be-Here-Till-Early-2014] will not be affected by the layoffs.

"Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive business can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects," says a Sony spokesperson. "As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and have decided to make some changes to some of our European Studios."

SCE London is supposed to have been working on an unnamed PS4 project, after finishing up on The Playroom, while Guerrilla Cambridge's last title, the Vita shooter Killzone: Mercenary [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127781-Killzone-Mercenary-Players-Have-Killed-47-Million-Targets], came out in 2013.

DriveClub still hasn't got a confirmed release date. When last we heard anything about the racer, Shuhei Yoshida said that "the extra time we're giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better. We can assure you that it will be worth the wait." Let's hope Sony's right, when it says that these layoffs won't affect development.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/evolution_studios_guerrilla_cambridge_and_sce_london_studio_hit_by_layoffs.html]

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
While it sucks for the affected people, I find nothing in the list of games they created that's worthwhile so if Sony chooses to relocate it's resources (hopefully to an RPG or something) then I can only see this as a positive move.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Nothing worthwhile?

Guerilla/SCE Cambridge made the excellent Medieval games back in the PS1 era. And the Motorstorm games by Evolution are mostly really good.

Now SCE London... yeah I'm not going to miss the Eyetoy/Singstar/Playroom studio.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
They may be good at what they do but UK does not really have any studios and the ones they do have are owned by the likes of sony or EA and are got working on bullshit.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
erbkaiser said:
Nothing worthwhile?

Guerilla/SCE Cambridge made the excellent Medieval games back in the PS1 era.
More than a decade ago? I don't think we're losing anything if they haven't produced more stuff yet. Do they even have the same staff? From what I can tell, all they do anymore is help port games to the PSP and their last several attempts have been bad.

And the Motorstorm games by Evolution are mostly really good.
But who bought the games? They've only had two titles to sell over 1 million copies and that was one in 2006 and again in 2008. The 2006 'Motorstorm" accounts for more than half the sales of all 8 titles and without it the remaining 7 games have only barely exceeded 3 million sales total.

Now SCE London... yeah I'm not going to miss the Eyetoy/Singstar/Playroom studio.
Yep, this is all a good move by Sony. Looks like they're cutting dead weight. Hopefully the better employees get moved elsewhere.

It's always interesting when layoffs happen for the right reasons.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
erbkaiser said:
Guerilla/SCE Cambridge made the excellent Medieval games back in the PS1 era.
As cool as they were, that kind of just shows the problem here doesn't it? One has to wonder how many people from those days even still work there, and the studio hasn't done much since of any note.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Make better games please these studios more than likely have a lot of skilled staff, just let them make something a bit more original maybe? and maybe you'll get some cash back from them?

Sad to see people loose jobs but I agree with above these studios just ain't making genre breaking games, and thats what will make sony shine and sell more PS4s.