Captain America: The Winter Soldier Featurette Spoils the Movie

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Featurette Spoils the Movie

A recently released YouTube featurette reveals the identity of the Winter Soldier.

Spoilers tend to be a hot-button issue for people, and understandably so. While there are some who enjoy going into a show, movie or book knowing every little turn the plot's going to take, there's an arguably even bigger segment of entertainment consumers who enjoy the twists a story presents. That in mind, if you don't know or the identity of the Winter Soldier, the titular villain of the Captain America: The Winter Soldier, you may want to consider not viewing the video in this article. In fact, click the back button and go read something else.

We offer this warning because the video, which features official interviews from producer Kevin Feige as well as stars Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan, goes right ahead and pulls the trigger one what Feige himself describes as "one of the best reveals in the comics of all time." They unmask the Winter Soldier as none other than Cap's WW2 friend Bucky Barnes.

Now, granted the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Vol-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785143416/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395779405&sr=1-1&keywords=ed+brubaker+captain+america>original comic isn't a spring chicken. Chances are if you read comic books with any sort of dedication, you already knew the identity of the Winter Soldier. The thing is, it's not just going to comic book fans going to this movie. Imagine, for instance, that more casual fan who just loves Marvel's movies. Maybe they've been looking forward to the new Captain America and so, looking up trailers and what-not, they stumble across this video. Congratulations, you've just killed their opportunity to enjoy a huge twist and share in some of the shock that Cap himself will surely go through when he learns the truth.

Now, maybe we're overreacting a little bit. After all, we do live in the age of the internet and if this didn't spoil the the twist there's no lack for alternative sources that could do the job just as well. Still, it just strikes us as a tad odd that the film's production would just lay it all out there. What do you think? Is this a stumble on Marvel's part or are we surprised over nothing?

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSQjIUyLU8>CBMTrailers

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The IMDB page [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843866/?ref_=nv_sr_1] has spoiled it for over a year crediting "Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier". I mean it's not a secret, but it's really disappointing they didn't treat it as such. It's possible the movie will start with Bucky Barnes's body being recovered, but it's unlikely.

Then again I knew about it because Moviebob was talking about it on a Captain America episode of Big Picture a couple years ago.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Yeah, I don't think Marvel or the studios were ever trying to treat this as a secret or unknown. I remember when I saw the extended trailer for Winter Soldier before Thor 2 they showed his face, so at that point I figured they weren't trying to treat it like a secret at all.

Knowing the Marvel movies like we do at this point, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are being so nonchalant with what everyone was assuming would be a twist reveal in the film because they are going to put it out there fairly early on in the narrative in order to hit the audience with a bigger, actual, twist later on.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I've read almost all of Brubaker's run on Cap so this particular spoiler wasn't a secret to me. But the thing that bugs me about it is that there are a lot of people who may be fans of the Marvel cinematic universe that don't read all of the comics. Or any comics in many cases.

My parents for example love the Marvel movies. They go see every one. But they aren't going to have a sweet clue who the Winter Soldier is. Spoiling it so blatantly could ruin it for them if they see any of this stuff. I get that Marvel knows there's a sizable chunk of the fan base that knows what's going on here beforehand, but they're not the entire fan base.

What's worse is this isn't the first time they spoiled it. When they ran a special on creating the Marvel cinematic universe last week or whenever instead of an episode of Agents of SHIELD, they spoiled it there too. And I honestly think more casual Marvel movie fans are more likely to see it there than on Youtube.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Never read the comic, nor have the majority of my friends and acquaintances, but I still don't know a single person who would have been spoiled by this reveal. I expect the big twists to be whatever happens with SHIELD-gone evil and whatnot.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
seriously? is there a single person that has seen even a 2 second clip of the guy who didnt know it was bucky? REALLY???

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
*dramatic gasp* Next you'll tell me Spiderman is Peter Parker!

Even though he is the titular character I don't really think his identity was supposed to be the big mystery of the film but rather the rumoured fall of SHIELD/'death' of Nick Fury. Bucky Barnes has been outed as the Winter Soldier in the newer Avengers cartoons and I think it's mentioned in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, so unless someone is going in to the movie completely naive of things Captain America it's probably not that big of a shocker.

Still, it's pretty stupid to say it's one of the best reveals in comics and then casually reveal it in a promotional video. I wonder if they went to great lengths during production to stop the 'reveal' being leaked and some Marvel drone is now hanging themself because their work was for nothing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
You do realise you told whom the Winter Soldier was in your article, maybe should add spoiler warning. But doesnt it seem stupid reporting that a featurette gives away the secret and placing a warning telling us this, and then one sentence later you give away the secret yourself.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Bucky Barnes has been outed as the Winter Soldier in the newer Avengers cartoons and I think it's mentioned in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, so unless someone is going in to the movie completely naive of things Captain America it's probably not that big of a shocker.
I would be willing to bet money that a lot of the people who will see this movie have never read the comics with Winter Soldier, watched that Avengers cartoon, or played Ultimate Alliance.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
You do realise you told whom the Winter Soldier was in your article, maybe should add spoiler warning.
He did in the first paragraph.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is a spoiler?

Seriously, the film is called Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the moment anyone typed that into Google or went to IMDB or Wikipedia or read a freaking comic featuring the eponymous character it would get spoiled. It's like saying that Tony Stark is Iron Man is a spoiler (or that Johann Schmidt is the Red Skull). I've been avoiding all trailers and features in the run up and even I know who he is.

Spoiler only to the willfully oblivious.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
They did the same thing during the Cinematic Universe special last week and I had the same thought. Until then, they did legitimately seem to be trying to preserve the mystery rather than lay out the conflict between best friends now on opposite sides in at least one trailer, which would probably be a bigger draw to more casual fans than all that SHIELD stuff.

On the other hand, casual fans aren't likely to be watching online featurettes, or are watching the to see spoilers.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
To the people who say "How come people don't know about this", not everyone reads or lives marvel stuff. Now given how Winter Soldier being bucky is pretty much hand in hand like Clark Kent is superman I wouldn't say it's a spoiler.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I just love how they advertise the movie as "the first Avenger:Winter Soldier" and not "Captain America:Winter Soldier" here in Germany.
Maybe they feel people can't relate to an american themed super-hero? Maybe American has a rather troubled reputation that makes it difficult to perceive it as the "hero"?
I don't know, I just find it strange.

Also am I supposed to recognize the WS from the first movie? I don't remember him.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Vivi22 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
You do realise you told whom the Winter Soldier was in your article, maybe should add spoiler warning.
He did in the first paragraph.
Re read it again, it says the spoiler is in the featurette video, not in the article.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
See, the conflict they're outlining in this featurette (i.e., could Cap fight his best friend or should he try to save him) seems a bit hollow to me. There's a fairly simple (if risky) solution.

1. Find your buddy Bruce Banner. (Tony Stark should know where he is, and Cap should know where Tony Stark is.)
2. Once you know where Barnes is, have the Hulk put him in time out and hold him down so you can talk to him.
3. Talk some sense into your friend.

I know that involving the Hulk like that is really dangerous, but it's the plan that jumps in my head when I see this video, and I don't see why it's not what Cap would try. I mean, he witnessed first hand in the Avengers that if you let Banner change on his own, he'll take orders and stay under control (well enough, anyways). The only real trick is making sure you set up the trap right, so that there's no danger of Banner changing by accident. Hell, you could have Stark around just to keep Hulk occupied if he came out at the wrong time; I'll bet Hulk wouldn't hurt Stark, and he could calm him down. And both Stark and Banner would be 200% on board with trying to help redeem someone whom their friend cared about.

Also, no, it doesn't really count as a spoiler. I don't read comics or follow the Marvel universe, and I knew that Bucky Barnes was the Winter Soldier. So I don't really think they messed up by revealing something that everybody knows.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
So, I have a friend on this website who has absolutely no clue who the winter soldier is. He's not a giant Marvel COMICS fan, but he is a pretty significant fan of the MCU.

So I told him to go on a complete media blackout for The Winter Soldier. He's been following my advice and has luckily, not had this spoiled for him.

I do consider this a spoiler and I find it kinda arrogant that some of the comic book fans and the general nerd community have had no concerns with spoiling this whole thing. It's one thing if a spoiler needs context to make sense and while there still IS context needed as to why the Winter Soldier is doing what it's doing, it does ruin a really nice surprise for the genuinely new to the franchise viewer.

I mean damn, that is a huge potential draw that you lose out on guys. It just seems like a bad decision IMHO.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Piorn said:
I just love how they advertise the movie as "the first Avenger:Winter Soldier" and not "Captain America:Winter Soldier" here in Germany.
Maybe they feel people can't relate to an american themed super-hero? Maybe American has a rather troubled reputation that makes it difficult to perceive it as the "hero"?
I don't know, I just find it strange.

Also am I supposed to recognize the WS from the first movie? I don't remember him.
Captian America fought the nazis, germany doesn't like to talk about nazis understandably. So distancing the film from it's ww2 roots in germany was probably on their mind. That's what I think is the case anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
persephone said:
See, the conflict they're outlining in this featurette (i.e., could Cap fight his best friend or should he try to save him) seems a bit hollow to me. There's a fairly simple (if risky) solution.

1. Find your buddy Bruce Banner. (Tony Stark should know where he is, and Cap should know where Tony Stark is.)
2. Once you know where Barnes is, have the Hulk put him in time out and hold him down so you can talk to him.
3. Talk some sense into your friend.
I saw the movie yesterday...
He talks some sense into him. He's been brainwashed but the power of love is stronger than science, as usual.

By the way, the Winter Soldier's identity isn't that big a deal in the movie, nor is Cap particularly conflicted about it.
I don't recall a single moment in which he has to chose between 2 "irreconcilable goods".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only ones that would be annoyed with the spoilers are the ones who never ever read the comics nor did he/ she had doubted that Bucky "died" in the first film or wonder why he was experimented before he was recused.