Linkin Park's "Guilty All The Same" Music Video Is Also a Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Linkin Park's "Guilty All The Same" Music Video Is Also a Game

<youtube=IfnhGW2Q_y0>​
Made with Microsoft's Project Spark, "Guilty All The Same," featuring Rakim, is a music video and game that fans can remix and play.

Linkin Park created a game set to their seven-minute rock song, "Guilty All The Same" to release alongside the music video's release today. Fans can see the band's version of the game in the music video, and they can both remix the song and play the game through Microsoft's Project Spark.

Linkin Park members Joe Hahn and Mike Shinoda specifically want fans to play around with the song and the game, giving fans creative freedom to do what they will. While this idea would frighten many musicians, Han and Shinoda encourage it.

"Mike and I met at art school, and we understand that once you make a piece of art and put it out there, people will interact with it their own way, and even reinterpret it as something else," Hahn said.

Hahn first got the idea for the project while attending last year's E3. "I saw this cool demo for Project Spark, and it just blew my mind," Hahn said. "For me, the next step was to see if we could showcase our next song as a game instead of a video."

Project Spark allows users to build games with modular plug-and-play tools, and environments can be created through a variety of tools, including the option to drop in objects. Users can share their games with other people who in turn can take it apart and rebuild it differently. Project Spark is still in beta and requires Xbox One or Windows 8.1. The full release will include Xbox 360.

The video/game is available for free on Project Spark [http://www.projectspark.com/#world?id=481464&tab=overview] along with stems of the recording of Linkin Park's "Guilty All The Same."

Source: Billboard [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfnhGW2Q_y0#t=65]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's a neat idea. Personally, I hope someone mixes it to match the music a bit better though. It would be neat to see the music look like it's impacting the level.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
It's a neat idea. Personally, I hope someone mixes it to match the music a bit better though. It would be neat to see the music look like it's impacting the level.
My thoughts exactly, it looks like someone's just playing a temple run clone with the music playing in the background. It feels like a waste of an concept. I could get a more well synced music/game experience through Audiosurf.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I really want to see this but I'm just getting the typical GEMA-block.
Why can't we ever have nice things? :(

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, its basicly Bit Trip Runner in Spark, cool and all but I was expecting something a bit more ambitious.

Even this seems to be a better "game music video".

All it needed was to have the scenario move in sync with the music and be a better, more interesting enviorement (also, just listen to the original version of the song by Pixies).

Also I think a lot of games already pull of the video clip feel with a lot of moments with licensed music, its not moments that hold on by themselfs but they do work in giving the song some visual context and sending it to a whole new level.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow... I remember when this was my favourite band and now they are down to cheap advert jingles for whoever will give some money.

And project Spark, truly a Microsoft next gen game filled with microtransactions top to bottom.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Does the production of the music sound kind of cheap to anyone else? The drum sound especially sounds like someone banging on cardboard boxes. If i didn't know any better I'd say this was made by angsty 14 year olds in their bedroom... instead of merely being listening to by angsty 14 year olds in their bedroom :p.
I love the drum sound on this one, they are usuallt overly compressed and loud in their sound, but this new stuff sounds a lot more live and dynamic. You can actually hear every individual drum part, bassline and guitar, a major improvement on their part. Obviously, i'm no LP fan, but i do kinda like this new song.i

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
That music video is so incredibly boring. Iunno why I feel that way. Maybe it's just the combination of really uninspired gameplay footage and relatively mellow music.

Still, an interesting idea.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
GEMA! *shakes fist*
I haven't listened to any Linkin Park after Meteora and Reanimation (both good) and the few songs I caught on the radio were awfully sappy and... meh. So I haven't felt the need to check up on them in... what, a decade?
Still, I would've liked to try this out, I must admit. Ah well.