Switzerland to Host Cybathlon, First Bionic Olympics

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Switzerland to Host Cybathlon, First Bionic Olympics

<youtube=AvKHrDXvUsM>​
Athletes using advanced assistive devices and robotic technologies can compete in the first Cybathlon in 2016.

As technology has improved, so have the worries over "technology doping" in strictly-monitored sporting events such as the Olympics. The Paralympics can also only allow certain assistive devices for participants to use. Announced this month was the Cybathlon, a championship for robot-assisted parathletes to be held in Zurich, Switzerland in October 2016.

The competition, hosted by the Swiss National Competence Center of Research in Robotics, hopes to promote the development of assistive systems, improve public awareness of the challenges and opportunities for assistive technologies, and enable pilots with disabilities to compete in races. The assistive devices include commercially available products as well as developed prototypes from research labs. The competition will award two medals for each competition: one to the pilot, driving the device, and the other to the device's provider. The competition will encourage the development of the latest prosthetics, exoskeletons, powered wheelchairs, electrically stimulated muscles, and brain-computer interfaces.

The six competition events are the following: Arm Prosthetics Race, Leg Prosthetics Race, Powered Exoskeleton Race, Functional Electrical Stimulation Bike Race, Powered Wheelchair Race, and Brain-Computer Interface Race. Each race will target the specific challenges and opportunities for technological advancement. The brain-computer interface race is designed for competitors paralyzed from the neck down, and the pilots will control an avatar in a racing game. Those competing in the powered exoskeleton race will walk over through obstacles such as steps, around pillars, and across a narrow beam to carry a bag around corners before a sprint to the end.

The Cybathlon will allow people to compete who have never been given the opportunity to do so because it encourages the inclusion of technology that is excluded from the Paralympics. Ticket sales for the event open in the beginning of 2016, and the event itself will be held in October of that year.

Source: Motherboard [http://www.cybathlon.ethz.ch/]

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, who do they give the medals to? The competitors, or the people who designed their prostheses?

Nevermind, I found it. This is an awesome idea.

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
This is great in two ways. Allowing athletes to compete competitively who otherwise couldn't do so and encouraging the advancement of prosthetic technology through the arena of competition.

What Formula One and other motorsport has done for road cars, contests like this could do for bionics. What's not to like?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sounds interesting, but from the title I was expecting a cyborg Olympics or something, so I'm a little disappointed.

Oct 20, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
So, who do they give the medals to? The competitors, or the people who designed their prostheses?

Nevermind, I found it. This is an awesome idea.

Why not both? One day I hope to hear about the person who wins a Nobel Prize for their prosthesis design which allowed their friend/family member/lover to live a better life, and win Olympic Gold.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
"The brain-computer interface race is designed for competitors paralyzed from the neck down, and the pilots will control an avatar in a racing game."

So, they're basically playing video games with their mind? Don't get me wrong, that's awesome, just putting that out there.

Genocidicles said:
Sounds interesting, but from the title I was expecting a cyborg Olympics or something, so I'm a little disappointed.
Well, that's what you're getting - these are proto-cyborgs, so to speak. These are the early stages of what we see in games like Deus Ex and such. Sadly, integrated lasers and arm-mounted grenade launchers don't come for another few generations of technology, but we're getting there slowly...

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Roganzar said:
Honestly, that is completely awesome.
This. A thousand times this.

Jandau said:
Sadly, integrated lasers and arm-mounted grenade launchers don't come for another few generations of technology
Or do they [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133315-Laser-Gadget-Maker-Creates-X-Men-Inspired-Laser-Eyes]? No word on the grenade launchers yet though.