Survey: 86% of Gamers Prefer Ads in Free Games Over Paying For Games

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Survey: 86% of Gamers Prefer Ads in Free Games Over Paying For Games

An EA-backed survey brings in a whole lot of new math to support the "freemium" business model and integrating advertising in games.

New data offers some pretty shocking predictions on the purchasing trends of the gamer population over the next few years. A study conducted among 500 gamers by IHS Technology found that 86 percent of players would rather have a free game, supported by ads and in-game transaction, than pay full price for the game itself.

IHS also predicted that micotransactions spent on "freemium" games will account for 39 percent of the total money spent on video games in North America by 2017. Likewise, mobile, tablet and PC gaming, where the majority of games using freemium business model are found, will account for 54 percent of the spending on games content by 2017.

IHS also forecasted that by 2017 only 10 percent of mobile and tablet games will earn their revenue through a paid download, reflecting how prevalent the freemium model will become at that time.

The study was conducted on behalf of Electronic Arts and WildTangent, a company that powers game services for different companies, including PC gaming sites used by EA. The games tracked in the study were EA freemium titles using "EA2/BrandBoost" technology, which featured in-game ads such as long form video, custom mini-games, and branded in-game content.

If a player chooses to interact with an in-game ad, they will usually be rewarded with a game item or, for games that only let you play for so long each day, additional playtime. The survey also found that gamers were more likely to play longer after experiencing an ad that game them an in-game item. The study also notes that gamer's are more positively disposed towards an ad if it happens at the beginning of a game or during a natural pause in the action.

One thing to keep in mind with this study is that it tracks people who are already playing freemium games, so the assertion that people already invested in that model would like to see more of it shouldn't be that surprising.

More information is available on the IHS survey here, but you'll need to go through a registration screen to access it.

What do you think of this data? Are these trends worth continuing or does the game industry need to get back to basics?

Source: IHS via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/03/27/wildtangent-gamers-prefer-games-ads-over-paid-games#.UzWwMPldVx4>GamePolitics

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Well those 86% of gamers are my enemies. I'd rather buy a game any day of the week than play a free game littered with micro transactions and stupid timers

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The games tracked in the study were EA freemium titles
So their survey of people who play free-to-play games showed that they would rather watch ads and not have to pay to play their free-to-play games?

What next, a survey of Battlefield players that shows gamers like to play modern military shooters?

And yeah, I don't really mind adverts in games as long as they aren't intrusive and as long as a game isn't mixing a retail cost, microtransactions AND adverts in to the payment model. I wouldn't want them in a game that isn't free-to-play though.

The study also notes that gamer's are more positively disposed towards an ad if it happens at the beginning of a game or during a natural pause in the action.
Seems fair enough. Although imagine if developers start deliberately putting in loading screens just so they can have more ads in their games! [/tinfoilhat]

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It should at least have an option to pay a one-time fee and receive no ads. Give people more economic freedom by having multiple payment options

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
My reaction:

[http://reactiongifs.com/?p=18076]

I'm perfectly OK with relevant ads on websites and services that I support (like Escapist), but if I'm ever immersed in a game, free or otherwise, and an ad pops up, even on a loading screen, that game goes in the trash. If it's a digital game, I will find a way to burn it to a DVD JUST to throw it in the trash. Maybe that's overreacting, but if a development studio and/or publisher decides to overtly disrupt my experience by giving ad agencies higher concern than their customers and consumers, then I don't want anything to do with that studio anymore. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if mobile games already do this, but I don't play mobile games so my concern is just that tactic infecting other platforms. Obviously there's some level of advertisement in games on every platform but usually, and ideally, there's some subtlety to it and it does not disrupt or interrupt the experience and may even be used to poke fun.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I honestly haven't learned that many things in this life. But on of them is that slippery slope applies to advertisers more then anything else on this world.

The ads may start small and unobtrusive, but they never stay that way.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I remember that back when Obama was first running for election, Burnout Paradise actually had ads of him up on the in-game Billboards, least I recall reading something about that.
Personally, if the adverts are more like that, I wouldn't mind.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Here EA goes again.

We've decided that X is the next big thing, so we're going to publish loads of 'research' to justify ourselves as we arbitrarily blitz on it and shoehorn it into every single product we create, in three years time we will quietly abandon the strategy having suffered some hilarious and tragic failures that have rendered several of our expensive IP and developers acquisitions moot.

But right now the board is stoked for it!

Here we go again, Online Pass, Project (sucky sucky) Ten Dollar, Securom and online multiplayer for everything are about to get some new playmates. While we're at t, how are those micro transactions and 'freemium elements' in your major titles doing EA? How's Dead Space 4 coming along?

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
What do I think of this data?

I want to know who these 'gamers' are, they certainly don't sound like they are core gamers, just the spuds on mobile devices.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I know I would!

I don't play a lot of free games but the ones on flash and the few android ones I play have a little banner ad at the bottom and that's it. Give me that kind all day long! I get entertainment for fuck all and the dev gets a little something.

As for microtransactions and pay to win, they can go fuck themselves off a high cliff!

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I am definitely not in that group. I'd rather buy a game outright than even play a F2P game. The design of a game is generally compromised the moment it is F2P because every single piece of it is designed to suck money from people. I also can't stand ads unless they are just on loading screens. However, then I'd see EA enforcing loading screens where they aren't needed just to make me see them more often.
I guess that means I am against F2P and ads. I prefer just buying my games.

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
If it's on my mobile, I'd rather pay for the game than have some ads that suck my battery faster because they are phoning home on my dime. The amount of battery a phone has during the day is a precious commodity to me. My brand new shiny phone that barely lasts a day on a single charge.

As for other games, I'd play a F2P MMO with billboards for a laugh, then delete it. Imagine riding your donkey (Let's face it, they wouldn't give you a premium pony) in the country side with a giant bill board for "Preparation H" or some other garbage. It would be worth the screen shot.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Personally, I think the title should be changed to "Survey: 86% of Gamers Prefer Ads in Free EA-published Games Over Paying For EA-published Games" to reflect how narrow the scope is on this research. Now, if the study used games whose majority is not published or developed by EA, then I would consider it more credible to research. Otherwise it just says that people don't want to pay for games EA has had a hand in. (And who can blame them?)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm fine with ads in games, as long as they're non-intrusive. Load screens are perfect for this, because you can't really be doing much of anything anyway. Just don't replace my gun with a SUBWAY® Italian B.M.T.® and I'll be fine.

P.S. Thanks

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Who did they ask, How did they ask them, how many of them did they ask and what the fuck is wrong with those people?

End of line.