Titanfall Update Makes Matchmaking Better

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Update Makes Matchmaking Better

Titanfall's matchmaking will now take a bit longer, as it has switched the priority from speed to quality.

If you've been enjoying Titanfall in the weeks following it's launch, you may have noticed that the matchmaking is a little... off. In my own experience, it seems that almost every match is a landslide in one direction or the other - something that my rather high 78% win rate can attest to. Respawn have been keeping a close eye on the system, and is implementing some changes to make the experience better. Specifically, Titanfall's matchmaking has switched its focus from speed to quality.

"Searching for teammates and opponents will now sometimes take more time to look for players that are a good skill level match, rather than purely prioritizing speed over quality," said Respawn in an official blog post [http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-matchmaking-update]. This will give us more time to build better teams and create closer games that are worth staying in for a longer period of time."

Another change is that the game will now periodically switch out teams that are on a losing or winning streak. For example, if you just lost several games in a row, the system will update the skill for all of the players and then find each team a better suited match for the next round.

"This should end some of the frustration with playing for extended periods when you're having an off night."

If you'd like to try out these matchmaking changes, you'll have to join the "Improved Matchmaking (Beta)" playlist the under "Play Classic MP" playlist. Respawn says if this new matchmaking system proves to be a success, they will make it the standard. It's nice to see them allowing players to test the system out before making it mandatory.

Source: Respawn Entertainment [http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-matchmaking-update]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I will personally NEVER (again) get a game that uses matchmaking instead of server lists on PC.

CoD Black Ops 2 was absolutely unplayable due to it, worst connection i've ever experienced in a game. And i dont needs a game to tell me where, or where not to play.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It will take LONGER?!?! The 90 second countdown timer is already a buzz killer for this game as it is. People keep dropping out of lobbys because it takes so damn long to connect.

Sort of the goddamn lag on the servers and I think people will be happy.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
longer now? come on, i already get tired of waiting 90secs to play the next round. sure, it can come in handy to select your next burn cards or to even switch the new weapon you have unlocked but still, it is a long waiting time.

also i had some serious lagging lately which i dint had before. i hope that will be fixed soon.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Wow.. lots of negativity.

Played the new system last night and had a blast. It works. Pretty much all of my games were neck and neck. Maybe a couple were off, but it was a LOT better than it used to be. Definite improvement. 90 seconds is nothing..

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
All this talk about Titanfall and I still haven't seen sale numbers. Black Ops 2 was all over the internet when it hit a billion sales in a week. GTA was everywhere in the news when it hit 1 billion in 3 days. Yet its been almost a month and we've seen squat about the actual sales numbers.

The best I could come up with was the vgchartz numbers here.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=titanfall

A million sounds really really low for a game that got as hyped as Titanfall was, yet the complete lack of information outside of that seems to give it some merit.

Personally hope it sold worth shit though. Give Microsoft a lesson in why you don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially if that basket is just another shooter.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Cool beans. This is something I'd hoped they'd implement.

I have noticed a tendency for the matchmaking to generally ignore skill levels while forming teams. Quite a few matches would see one team comprised of a menagerie of low and high level gen-1s while the other team would be almost all gen-3's and up.

Really glad they're working to make it better.

Now, if only they'd hurry the hell up and get private lobbies, textual mute, and in-game voice mute options added...

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
How about actually providing dedicated servers and not matchmaking? Maybe some people want to choose a specific server of their choice..